“Decent, Friendly Option”

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
New York City, New York
“Decent, Friendly Option”
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This is a nice little hotel. The owners are very friendly, though they don't speak English. The rooms are small and dark but they are comfortable enough, with cable tv, wifi, fridge, safe... The hot water did not work for long, and the toilet would not flush completely. The double bed was a bit small. But really my only complaint was the noise. There are obviously some regulars who stay here, and they congregate in the hallway and get drunk and loud. They were also up talking at the top of their lungs first thing in the morning. The walls are very thin. We ended up moving to Hotel Belmar, which I found to be better, but this hotel was a pretty good value overall too.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Ontario
Reviewed 26 November 2010

I loved this little 10 room hotel. Alfredo and Angelica are incredibly special people. Yes, they don't speak english but that's the fun of it! You can practice your spanish!

I'd like to specially aknowledge them for all their help when I discovered that my camera was lost somewhere during the day. They made countless calls for me as we believed the camera had gotten mixed up with the glasses and donations to the Little Yellow School House...sure enough it had. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all involved in getting my camera back to me...my photographs mean everything to me so having it returned the next day meant the world. THANK YOU!

Cleanliness - Spotless inside and out of our rooms. There's a lovely main sitting area where you can watch the world go by...super clean!

Service - Beautiful kind and caring people Alfredo and Angelica

Location - Right around the corner from Hidalgo, one block to La Cazuela and 2 blocks to Ciro's.

Value - $45 CAN a night...amazing price!

Rooms - Spotless! My room had a comfy bed, night table with lamp, tv, electronic safe, bistro table and chairs set and a lovely fridge.

Sleep quality - Very comfy bed and a quiet sleep!

Thank you to everyone there..I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank WIBS
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 November 2010

The family running this place doesn't speak any English, but are some of the nicest and most accomodating people we've met. They keep the place very clean. The rooms are pretty small (stayed in #5) which was a tight fit. Other than that, it's a great place to stay and will be staying there again next year. Great location also, just a block over from the main street, Hildago and a short 3-5 minute walk to playa norte.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank aliciavr6
Bayfield, Colorado
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Very nice except the hammering. I signed up for nine days and the hammering hasn't stopped yet. I think the workers here are going at siesta speed and are really into job security because it takes them all day to make a hole in the wall. They start chipping away with chisles and hammer at 9am(it was 7:30). The owners son asked if the noise was bothering me so I told him it would be nice if it didn't start until 10am. He said it wouldn't start until 11am from now on. Yea right- 9am until 5:30pm daily, and it never stops. You are NOT going to take a nap here on your vacation. Other than that it is a nice place with friendly staff and clean. Maybe one day it will be better when they slow down on the hammering.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank CECPeach
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed from Aug.25-Sept.6 and had another wonderful stay. It still has all the great things from the previous stay such as: Friendly Helpful staff, Very Clean rooms, Wi-Fi, Great Location to Beach and Downtown, Great value, Safe in room, Dozens of cable tv channels in English & Spanish, Mini-Frig, Hair Dryer, Quiet. Close to Grocery & Liquor Store, Cafes couple doors down. Parking lot across from hotel. They also added complimentary coffee in the morning, Beach Chairs, and huge beach towels! Don't forget to ask about the discount for guest at one of the local restaurant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wesnoon
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Wonderful and attentive staff, very clean and perfect location. We stayed for 2 weeks in August. The location is a 5 minute walk to my favorite part of Playa Norte' and just around the corner from some of my fave restaurants. (Qubano, Faynes, La Cazuela M & J ) .
If you are looking for a Club Med type of hotel, this is not it. But if you are looking for cool and basic housing for your stay, definately try Hotel Xbulu.

We will definately be back. The rooms are the best available for the pricepoint on Isla.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mph122170
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I highly recommend Hotel Xbulu-Ha in every way. I spent a long time planning my trip to the Yucatan, and was very careful to screen the many options for hotels. I finally found Xbulu Ha in Moon travel guide, in which, ironically, the owner didn't even know he was mentioned!
I always read and highly value tripadvisor's reviews, and base my decisions in great part on how guests are treated. I have to say, no matter where I've stayed, the wonderful owner, (Sr. Gabriel Martinez), and cheerful, friendly staff, (Sr. Alfredo and Sra. Angelica), offered some of the best treatment I have ever gotten.
For example, when I accidently left my keys at the hotel on my way out, I learned, upon arriving in Cancun, that Sr. Alfredo had found them right after I had left, and had rushed to catch my boat, which had just left when he arrived at the dock. I didn't realize the keys were missing until late that night, when I called the hotel, desperate. I had to leave for home the next day in the early AM, so upon returning to the US, I got in touch with Sr. Gabriel, who immediately set to work and didn't rest until he was able to send my keys to me.
Another example of their great care: There were three of us occupying a room with a king-size bed, so the staff was kind enough to put an extra mattress on my single bed, which ordinarily would have been fine, had I not hurt my back the day before. They were concerned and insisted on going to the trouble, which I found very touching.

Also: The rooms were immaculate, complete with kitchenette, the location great: a block from the beach, very near a supermarket, inexpensive eateries, and the price, amazing, for the amenities. Do yourself a favor, and stay at Xbulu Ha, where you're treated like family!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends