“Gourmet heaven in an enchanted courtyard!”
Review of Lolo Lorena

Lolo Lorena
Ranked #5 of 211 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Price range: US$3 - US$3
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Lolo Lorena will not be taking reservations until December 2015 while she is recovering from surgery. we are very sorry for any inconvenience. Dinner in a private garden around a communal table. Chef Lolo creates a different menu each night. Please tell the chef of any special needs, dislikes or allergies when you reserve and she will accommodate you
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We dined at Lolo's on our recent visit to Isla----a four course meal consisting of a mussels appetizer, vegetable terrine, curried shrimp, and grilled pineapple with chocolate mousse and berry sorbet----it was superb! Lolo has a gift for combining the most delicious food with a magical candlelit setting----if you're on Isla for any length of time---run, don't walk to Lolo's for a reservation---and enjoy!! I know we did!

There are newer reviews for Lolo Lorena

Reviewed 28 January 2010

We ate at Lo Lo Lorena's while visiting Isla Mujeres and had a wonderful evening. The food was absolutely divine, the atmosphere was very relaxing and the attention and service fantastic. We requested seafood and Lo Lo cooked lobster and other seafood soups/appetizers to perfection. (a 5-course dinner) She even invited one of our guests (who is a recent trained chef) to help prepare the fresh live lobster for cooking. We were able to bring in our own wine for the meal which cut down on our costs. What a lovely evening and would definately go back.
We purchased some croissants from her bakery which were out of this world and had to go back the next day for more.

Truely a great experience.

Reviewed 26 January 2010

The experience at Lolo Lorena was amazing from start to finish. We were greeted promptly by the very friendly and talented Lolo and seated with two other diners (a very quiet night for the restaurant, usually there are more people) and immediately asked what we would like to drink. Shortly after Lolo came out and let us know what her plans were for the evening's meal and asked for input. I had neglected to let her know that I did not eat goat cheese (mostly because I know how much others like it, and didn't want anyone deprived of a food that I know is delicious for others) and because the appetizers would have goat cheese, she immediately came up with an amazing arugula, warm mushroom, tomato and parmesan salad for me. She consulted us on the pacing of our meal, and made absolutely delicious fresh food that she had shopped for that day. The setting was lovely in the garden and Lolo and crew could not have been more delightful, warm or inviting! This was by far--the best dining experience on the entire island and is not to be missed!

Reviewed 26 January 2010

Twas the Night Before Christmas, and a special island dinner awaited us at LoLo Lorena's on Isla Mujeres...

Lorena told us she had crossed over to the mainland earlier that day for her marketing, seeking to find the finest and most exotic of seafoods for the Christmas Eve dinner...and we were not disappointed!

First...there was what she called her "Lovers Salad" and this was thinly shaved fresh conch, marinated in lime and olive oil with a touch of basil I think and velvety smooth...I really liked this conch salad.

Next, an appetizer course with a large stone crab claw, perfectly steamed (I despise overcooked crab!) a large prawn and some sea scallops on arugula, in a balsamic vinegar marinade...all cooked exactly, al dente but not tough and definitely not overcooked.

The entree course was a cassoulet, a creamy shellfish roux in a pastry crust containing a small but firm lobster tail and mussels and fish, the entire plate garnished with a garlicky langoustine and large-ish steamed mussel...the cassoulet was warm and wonderful, it seemed to me unique and exotic but home made and warm and comforting...the best French and Belgian cooking is usually that way for me...

Finally, the dessert course...this was a beautifully arranged plate of three mini desserts...a house made creme puff with raspberries, a small cup of raspberry sorbet, and a sugar free chocolate mousse (made on request for several of us diabetics at the table) I picked at the creme puff and the taste of the sorbet was sublime, but I will never ever forget that chocolate mousse! Wow!

Dinner at LoLo's is not cheap, and Christmas Eve Dinner was a bit pricey at $45 US per person, but I am reminded of an old saying "Good seafood is never cheap, and cheap seafood is never good" you do get what you pay for, and at Lorena's you get a high end hand made personalized prix fixe experience, wonderful atmosphere/ambiance, and the personal attention of the chef/owner herself. I have paid twice as much and more here in The States for a "chef's tasting menu" that was not as good, not as fresh and certainly not as locally sourced as dinner at LoLo Lorenas. When you also consider that you can bring your own wine, this is actually a bargain for a big night out or special occasion dinner.

I look forward to my next visit to Isla Mujeres (I am a long time return visitor to the island) and I look forward to my next special dinner at LoLo Lorenas.

P.S. We returned the next day (yes Christmas Day) and bought warm croissants and chicken liver pate for Christmas Day noshing...the pate was divine and I nibbled at it for a couple of days during the holidays...so I gotta remember to get some LoLo To Go...

1  Thank scottozoid
Reviewed 19 January 2010

If you look for a great place to stay i suggest u lolo's guesthouse.
You can find all the comfort :
Fresh swimming pool .
Clean and well furnished bed room protected from mosquitos.
Tasty fruit and juices served all day .
Delicious home made breakfast ( croissant or bread with fruit).
Lolo is a real encyclopedia she can recommend all the best place to visit on the isla or in the whole Mexico .