“Can't beat it for the price”
Review of Hotel Rocamar

Hotel Rocamar
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Surf sounds lull you to sleep. Close enough to walk to everything. Great staff who understand enough English to be able to help but tempt you to try your feeble Spanish should you have any. I like that. Minimalist room suited me just fine. Good bed (!) I'll go back.

Room Tip: rooms with smallest numbers on the street level. It was no problem for me, but I can imagine there...
1  Thank Nan999

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We visit Isla ever year and tend to try out a different accommodation every couple of years. We have always loved the view on the 'rough' side of the island, so decided on the Rocamar this trip.

We were on the 'main' floor, near the reception area; I would suggest being a bit further away from the common seating area, as some of the patrons tended to be a bit loud in the early morning or late evening, and the sound came through our bathroom window. We could sometimes smell smoke, as well, HOWEVER, those are my only complaints.

Our room was absolutely spotless upon arrival and after each cleaning. Our king bed was fairly new, and though it was a bit soft for my liking, it was very comfortable (keep in mind they are a bit shorter in Mexico). We always had hot water for showers, and our air conditioner was adjustable and worked great. The view from our room was spectacular!

I used the pool one day, and it was clear and clean. The next day, it had some sort of algae issue, which took a couple of days to clear up, but the staff stayed on it until the problem was resolved. The pool area was clean, aside from messes left behind by some of the guests...there are garbage cans EVERYwhere there, so there was really no excuse for that.

The young people at the front desk were happy to do whatever we needed. There was a microwave and T.V. in the common seating area, a large water cooler for filling water bottles, coffee on in the morning, a pot for hot water and several types of tea. I was very sick for a couple of days (something I took down with me, nothing to do with being on Isla), and the staff was willing to do anything possible to ensure my comfort.

We paid $99 US a night or 1,287 pesos for an ocean view room, and I felt it was worth it after paying more than that at other hotels with bathrooms that were falling apart and leaking toilets. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view room, and stay above the bottom floor, which does NOT have air cond...
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The room was very clean with beautiful views of the ocean and a nice balcony with a hammock. The location was ideal and close to evwerything. I personally loved the shower; it was huge; and being disabled, it was very convenient for me to use, as I could take a chair right in there.
The only bad thing I could say (if I could even call it "baad" was the coffee.Plan on taking a short morning walk to grab a cup of coffee and a light breakfast; within 5 minutes of the hotel ( thats 5 minutes there and back! El Cenro is also within walking distance as is one of the north beaches (I don;'t remember which one it was.
Nearly everything is within walking distance, but cab service is also available. We found all the cab drivers to be very courteous,friendly and helpful.
We would definitely stay at Hotel RocaMar again if/when we return to Isla Mujeres.

Room Tip: We had one couple in our group who were on the lower level. who did not like that location and moved...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stylishly basic, excellent value, breezy balcony with sunrise view. Just around the corner from zocalo. Can be noisy in the late evening, night club close by..

Room Tip: Higher floors are more comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Egle B
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My husband and myself stayed at Rocomar for a week. We had suite 27 and it was amazing-it has a panorama of the sea that is awe inspiring. The rooms are very minimalist but with huge outdoor patio, it makes no difference. The staff are wonderful-I forgot my purse on bench out side the reception area but when I returned hours later (never missing it) they had secured it for me. We would stay here again.

2  Thank cheri52546
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My Family and I just returned from a 5 day visit to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We stayed at the Hotel Rocamar. This is a no frills hotel right downtown on the Eastern side of the island. This was our second stay there.
My wife and I love this hotel because of its view, cleanliness and service. Dona Lina, our housekeeper took great care of us again and the desk clerks were very helpful. The pool was fantastic and the new deck area is great!
We enjoy mixing with the locals and the island is extremely safe.
We only wish they still had hammock hooks.

Room Tip: The suites, Rm 18 or the one above, are worth spending a few extra dollars on or ask for room 20, or...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

After hours of searching hotels all over Cancun, we chose this one out on Isla Mujeres, and NO REGRETS!!! We are a couple in our early 40s, love to travel, have simple tastes. The bed was large and comfy, the pool was the perfect temperature, the view was great, and the price beat the pants off of the competition. And we LOVED the hammock on the balcony! Yes, the bathroom is enclosed in glass, which could be awkward in certain situations. But our room had a plastic curtain that could be pulled shut to block the view. I guess the only drawback I might mention is that the wi-fi didn't work inside our room, so we had to connect out on the main patio/ sitting area. We had a small fridge in the room, and it was an easy walk to all the restaurants on the other side of the island, which is also where you want to go to enjoy the beach and shops.

We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple