“Well priced, ocean view, in town, 5 minute walk to the beach”
Review of Hotel Rocamar

Hotel Rocamar
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
New York City, New York
“Well priced, ocean view, in town, 5 minute walk to the beach”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

If you want something with budget pricing, some boutique feel, and none of the Disneyland feel of a typical hotel in a Mexican resort town, consider the Rocamar. A refurbished hotel from the 60's with great views of the water right outside the room window (be sure to ask for ocean view), AC, and a small pool and lounge area. Does not have TV in the room (there is one in a common area), but who needs that - read a book, go to the beach! The rooms were not as luxurious as a full on 'Boutique Hotel', but they're comfortable, and half the price. I preferred that the hotels was on the edge of town next to the plaza in front of the main church, as it made eating and strolling through town very easy. I preferred that it was not near the other tourist hotels on the Playa Norte, yet was only an easy 5 - 10 minute walk away.

Again, if you're looking for luxury, maybe go elsewhere. Rocamar has great value and pleasant rooms with good design.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view, on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank LMGothamist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel offers modern ensuite rooms with sea views at a great price. Travelling in Mexico can be very expensive but Rocamar was awesome value for what it is. It has a lovely little pool, wifi, and sun loungers, with such a nice vibe. It is a short walk from everything and really worth the time!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rory C
Plumsteadville, PA
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed at Rocamar for about 5 days. We had a King Suite on the top floor of the Hotel, facing the sea. I'm not sure, but I think all the rooms are ocean view....at least on the 2nd and 3rd floors? The balcony outside the sliding glass doors was large, and had a "spa tub" which, due to the overcast weather, we didn't use every day. The breeze coming off the ocean is strong...hold onto your hat.

These King Suites are larger than the King Rooms. The advantage of the King Suite is that it is not only a larger room, but a larger balcony and expansive view...and it has the "spa tub" which looks like a small bathtub sitting on the balcony. It did take a long time to fill up the spa tub with hot water so once we had it filled, we just left the water in it and topped it off occasionally with hot water.

The renovations to Rocamar are visually pleasing. The pool was very nice and the view of the sea is non-stop. Plenty of places to sit by the pool, and also away from the pool. You can get pool/beach towels at the front desk. But in order to actually go to the beach, you'll want to walk down to North Beach (Playa Norte) which is several blocks away. Taxis are available day and night on this road, so if you didn't feel like walking to or from the beach, grab a taxi. They're cheap.

The location of the Hotel is just off the main plaza. Very convenient to all manner of shopping, groceries, local food vendors, and plenty of restaurants.

There are no TVs in the rooms but there is one that sits in an "outdoor lobby" near the front desk. Seating there is minimal, and since we don't watch TV we didn't really care. In that same area, they have a coffee/tea station available in the morning. There is no other food available at the hotel. There is, however, a mini-fridge in the room so you can keep snacks and beverages close at hand. Supermarket is a block away.

Staff was very nice and very respectful. We pay in cash/pesos, so we got the discounted rate. We thought the price was fair for Isla, for the accommodations, and the time of year...high season.

There were some other adjacent rooms that were separate from the main hotel...maybe they're called cabanas, not sure. I took a peak and they looked okay too, but not much of a view from the room...these would be good for people who cannot do too many steps.

Which brings me to the steps. I know it might be really cool and contemporary to have no handrails, but for safety sake they really need to install handrails to go up the steps to the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms. I guess it's not "code" in Mexico to provide handrails, but they were sorely missed...especially since the steps are fairly steep.

The rooms were pretty sparsely decorated, which I guess is the definition of contemporary interior design. In spite of the chairs in the room (and pool) looking like something from another planet, they were surprisingly comfortable. The bed was comfortable. Ample space to hang clothes, and a shelf for other clothes. There is a safe in the room to protect valuables, and you must get the locking device from the front desk.

Now let's consider the bathroom facilities. We had concrete walls to define the bathroom from the rest of the room. I didn't see what some have described as the glass wall bathrooms, but I think Rocamar has got the message that all those glass wall bathrooms need to utilize the curtain they make available. I'm not even sure you have to ask for the curtain anymore, I think they do it automatically. Either way, they have it if your room does not come equipped with concrete walls for the bathroom.

The sink area is separate from the toilet and shower area. They are separated by a wood door which we kept closed at all times unless we were actually passing through the door. It's good you can use the sink area without opening the door to the toilet/shower portion of the bathroom. If you were to leave the bathroom door open, you will smell a somewhat foul odor which we believe eminated primarily from the drain in the shower. Understand that all the plumbing on Isla Mujeres is somewhat fragile. There's something going on with the design of the system at Rocamar because the smell was pretty constant.

In the shower/toilet portion of the bathroom, there was a main ventilation shaft for the hotel. It might be the ventilation shaft that causes the odors to come from the shower drain (and possibly toilet trap?) but whatever it is, it's not too nice. We rigged up something to minimize the odor coming from the shower drain so we could make it more tolerable to use the shower and toilet...we put a wet facecloth over the shower drain and then covered the facecloth by turning the wastepaper basket from the other room "upside down" on top of the facecloth. This seemed to work. We just removed the "rigging" when we needed to shower. Evidently this came as no surprise to the housekeeping staff, because they left it exactly as it was. I know we were not the only room having this problem, and someone else told us they did the exact same thing to "plug up" the odor. This is evidently a problem at Rocamar and whoever designed this building needs to go back to the drawing board to figure out a way to correct the problem.

Aside from the bathroom odor, which we made tolerable, we enjoyed our visit to Hotel Rocamar. And as crazy as it sounds, we'll probably stay there again...it's so convenient to everything, the view is beautiful, there weren't a bunch of little kids running around, and the prices were reasonable for Isla this time of year.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank PeabodyandSherman
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I had made a reservation with the Rocamar for April 27-30th. But after a bad place in Cancun we ended up going out to the island earlier so arrived on April 23rd. We gave the desk clerk our papers and asked if our room (booked from/through the descriptions on their website) It was so we went ahead and checked in (room 26). the room was cute, quaint and very clean. We did not have the glassed in bathroom as some rooms did. A nice and pretty comfortable(for Mexico) king bed, a nice closet space, bar style table, a couple of funky looking but comfortable chairs and a mini fridge completed the room. No TV and no phones in the rooms so it really was getting away from it all. The view was fabulous!! It would get pretty warm on the balcony until about 11:00 AM then you would have shade and the wonderful ocean breeze for the afternoon and evening. The only drawback to the room was the dribble shower but the water was nice and hot if you wanted that. Coffee is ready at about 7:00 AM and it is good coffee. There is also a TV and free WiFi in the lobby area which was nice if you wanted to catch the weather or log onto the internet. The pool was nice for an afternoon cool down and three out the four afternoons we went down there we had it to ourselves. The view from the pool is nice as well. No beach unless you walk down the sea walkway right between the hotel and ocean (which was a very nice stroll). Everything worked great in the room and the cleaning staff were great!! A little hard with the communication but that was OK The price was very reasonable. Great location as well, close to shops, restaurants and 4 blocks from the best beach on the island. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rettangel1990
Barneveld, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My mother, sister and I moved from another hotel (Posada Del Mar - see my review there - beware that hotel!) and were pleased with our stay at Rocamar. For starters the man at the front desk was gracious to show us 2 rooms before we decided to stay...that was because of the poor state of our first hotel, we weren't paying until we knew what we were getting. The first thing you see is a direct view of wall to wall waves through the window. The backside of the hotel is directly on the seawall which gives unparalleled views and the sound is incredible. The room was very clean, yet somewhat sparse. There are one or two beds, a closet that contains a safe and small fridge, a table, AC, 2 chairs in the room and 2 on the balcony along with a hammock to hang on the balcony (which is awesome!) and bathroom with shower. No TV or other amenities. Each morning there was coffee and hot water for tea in the lobby where there is wi-fi and TV. The bathroom is entirely glass-walled, which is comical (the hotel we came from had an open air bathroom too, not sure why that trend is occurring :) but the yellow shower curtains do the trick and privacy is ok. The room was comfortable but the ever crashing waves and view is mesmerizing and make this a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a second or third floor room on the ocean side...we stayed in room 19 and it was great!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle W
Minneapolis
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in Feb. 2012. It was my first time staying there and it lived up to my expectations. I listened to the ocean waves every night with my patio door open every night. The hotel was next to a bar and I never heard it once. The hotel is very close to a supermarket, the town square and to Hildago. It lacked in amenities such as a coffee pot and my refrigerator never really worked. However, for the price, I felt it was very reasonable and would return. There was a internet place near the supermarket where you could check in for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Select the higher floors so you have more privacy, I was in room 17 which is 1 floor above the grou...
Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DogLoverGirl/02
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I have just arrived home from a wonderful 6 night stay at Hotel Rocamar on Isla Mujeres. This is the 2nd time I had visited the island, the 1st having travelled there 5 years ago and stayed at Poc Nar hostel. This was undoubtedly a better experience.

The location is absolutely fantastic, right next door to the town square and barely a 5min walk from the Ferry. When exiting the ferry terminal head slightly to the right, take the road opposite you and simply walk 3 blocks forward. You can practically see the hotel from the ferry! Playa Norte is a 10min walk and local supermarket 2mins.

The view from our bedroom (very clean, sheets changed daily and oh so comfortable beds) was outstanding. In fact I don't think I've stayed in a hotel closer to sea (as opposed to beach). With the balcony door open the sound of the waves really does drift you off to sleep every night and I can't think of anything else that makes me feel more like I'm on holiday!

As 2 professionals on a 1 week holiday we felt that the hotel offered extremely good value.

NB. Do not choose this hotel if you cannot live without TV or internet. There aren't TVs in the bedrooms and the only Wifi access is in the lobby (although it is free) Given its a Caribbean island, I was astounded by the number of people constantly just sitting there on Facebook. Surely there are better things to do! In fact this meant that I could really sit back and enjoy being away.

I must also mention briefly the pool area. On a hot day it has the best breeze on the island - far far better than paying $100 to sit on a busy playa norte surrounded by other sunbathers. We spent a lot of time there and it was hardly used by other guests. Take advantage!

Isla Mujeres is the most wonderful alternative to the commercialism and built up resorts of Cancun. The food is outstanding and I would certainly recommend:
Manana - wonderful fruit shakes, breakfast pancakes and bagels.
Barlito - the best sandwich I have ever ever had (pulled pork, sundried tomatoes, chipotle mayo.... YUM) but warning.... they are HUGE

There is no doubt that I am going back to Isla Mujeres in the near distant future and I will also certainly be going back to Rocamar.

Room Tip: As noted in many of the reviews here we were first shown a room on the ground floor. Be sure to ask...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends