“Double Dip- Family Trip and Amazing Yoga” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Na Balam Beach Hotel

Na Balam Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Double Dip- Family Trip and Amazing Yoga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

It was our 3rd time going to Isla, but our first time staying at NaBalam...and first time with child. It was a wonderful experience. The staff are kind and helpful. They brought us a crib and set it up in our very spacious room. We were able to enjoy adult evenings on our patio area with the chairs and hammock while the baby slept inside. (Bug repellent is a must, I got bit 50 times staying the lush and tropical poolside region).

Yoga was the surprising factor. Typically when I travel, resort yoga is sub-par for a regular practitioner, following it's morphed westernized ways of power yoga or vinyasa style. I had done yoga in the past at NaBalam through visiting retreats being hosted there.

This time was different and a joyous surprise. I had the wonderful experience of meeting Lal, the yoga instructor, who opened my eyes to my narrow minded and opinionated way of practicing Iyengar Yoga only. Lal taught me about the history of Sivananada, the Chakras and how Vastu yoga came about. He is very warm hearted and kind with a magical aura. He has a deep philosophical base, which I found intriguing. I was fortunate enough to practice for 3 consecutive mornings while my husband watched the baby. This was a dream and my body loved the benefits. The yoga space is so beautiful and peaceful. I can't stop raving about it to friends at home and can't wait for the day to return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TG2squared

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Hebrew first
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I held our wedding at Na Balam on January 3, 2013. We can't begin to express how pleased we were with the hotel, the staff, the food, the accommodations - everything was fantastic!! We can't wait to return!

Here is why we loved it:

1) Professionalism!
We worked closely with Adely, the coordinator, several months in advance to work on logistics and lodging for our party, primarily by email though we also spoke on the phone a few times. Adely is extremely professional and always got back to any question we had within one business day. She provided clear information about what the hotel could offer and sought quotes for services brought in from outside. The day after we arrived, we met with her and the head of the restaurant to go over final details. Two days later we had the wedding of our dreams. (She and the rest of the staff were also very accommodating to last minute ideas such as using fresh coconuts for the toast - we found a vendor on the island but he had to set up at the hotel a couple of hours in advance to 'uncork' all the coconuts!)

2) Beauty all around
The beach itself is super calm and shallow, perfect for lounging - and a stunning backdrop for our wedding.

The rooms are gorgeous - and most of the ones we saw were quite spacious! We stayed in Room 15, which had a private patio & pool that overlooked the beach. My grandmother uses a wheelchair, and she was able to enjoy a comfortable stay at one first floor rooms. My father in law stayed in Room 7, which was on the second floor with a gorgeous balcony overlooking the beach,a huge bed and a large & stylish sofa. For a lesser price, some of our guests stayed in smaller rooms that still had very nice decor, good views, and smaller balconies. The price for the rooms was reasonable, and we appreciated that very much given all the other wedding expenses we had.

3) Loved the Food!
The food at Zazil Ha was delicious - I particularly enjoyed their breakfast options and apple lassi. Just be aware that they can and do run out of things from time to time, so keep your cool and go with what they have (Isla Mujeres is an island, after all, and it's not as fast to source things as it is in the mainland!)

We catered the wedding through Zazil Ha, and we all had plenty of food to go around. We are mostly vegetarian, and the Chef provided us with an exquisite vegetarian taquiza (several taco fillings including potato with roasted poblano chile and tofu with green beans in green chili sauce) as well as a superbly seasoned fish, aguas frescas, and lots of great trimmings such as mango pico de gallo, guacamole, and habanero salsa.

The night before the wedding, my then-fiance surprised me with a beachside private dinner set in a circle of candles on the beach, which he also organized with Zazil Ha. It was extremely romantic.

4) Great (and thoughtful!) amenities
The hotel offers excellent yoga classes (as reported by several of our guests, two of whom are yoga instructors), and they provided us with studio space to offer a private yoga class for our guests (we provided the instructor) as part of the pre-wedding activities.

We also took advantage of the couples massage on the beach (I think we paid $150 for 1.5 hours for both of us). It ranks as one of the top 3 massages I've ever gotten in my life!

On our wedding night, we came back to a gorgeously decorated room, covered in red rose petals and with a couple of swan-shaped towels in the middle of the bed.

Overall, our experience with Na Balam was an absolute dream! We wholeheartedly recommend Na Balam as an ideal place for a dream destination wedding - as well as for a trip for couples, for friends, and especially for families, given the calm & shallow beach.

Thank you, Na Balam!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eatmorebeets
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

The beach here is absolutely fabulous. The hotel is ok, rooms and everything's fine, but the real gem of this place is its extremely comfortable beach side. They provide great chaise-longues to enjoy the pleasant caribbean surroundings in a rustic but very comfortable setting, and the beach is not crowded, you can always find a nice place where to lie down and relax. The sunsets are awesome and you can enjoy them from the restaurant right there, which provides great cocktails and very good free wi-fi.

And by the way, Isla Mujeres is a much better option than Cancun if you're over 30, just take the ferry and in half an hour you have your own little piece of paradise, as oppose to the horribly crowded modern, noisy and highly urbanised Cancun.

Room Tip: This place is all about the beach, get a room close to it.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank moniqx
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Just returned from an amazing 5 nights at Hotel Na Balam. Everything was perfect from the spacious and clean accommodations to the most helpful and understanding staff members. The restaurant and waiters were great and it is the most beautiful beach on the island. Cannot wait to return... thanks again Na Balam.. I relaxed which is not an easy thing for me to do!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Ok. Quickly,this Hotel is a green mode (lacks technology), which that's its prime purpose to simply forget about time, internet, and other funky utilities that we use every dam day. At this Hotel we surely enjoyed our stay. However, the waiters SUCK and lack education. I felt they were lucky to even have a job in this field. I am from NYC and Yes, i did let the guy know, like hey, do we owe you anything, shape that attitude up. Over-priced menu, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and will Absolutely stay again. Rats? Never saw any. As per the reception staff, they were extremely polite and even helped me coordinate a ROMANTIC PROPOSAL dinner. They ordered the roses, which of course i paid. This tiny island is the best to relax your mind, unlike CANCUN strip, where so many idiots getting wasted. God bless.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carlian R
Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Na Balam has rooms both almost on the beach and rooms half a minute from the beach. We were two couples and had booked close to the beach. One room was upgraded to almost on the beach, so we choose an upgrade for the other room as well. Cost $82 pr night but then with own outdoor pool and a large bath in the floor inside. The bath did not work, the outdoor did and it was overlooking the beach. Quite nice. The restaurant of the hotel was very good. Quick and friendly waiters, excellent food, try the variants of giant shrimp, delicious. Breakfast was with a lot of fresh fruit, good coffee and and (important to me) quick refills. The beach had service as well, also quick and efficient, and the beach was wonderfull. There was yoga at the hotel, only to be recommended. We hired a golf car for four persons and went all down to the south end of the island. Do it if you visit Isla Mujeres. It is easily done in a day. Then visit the turtle farm halfway down south. Very interesting and you see very small baby turtles, you hear about the programme for rescuing the sea turtles.
For us this was a perfect start for 2 weeks in Yucutan. After Isla Mujeres we went to Playa del Carmen, Rio Lagartos nature reservation, Valladolid, Chichen Itza and Tulum. Two wonderfull weeks.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EbbeGP
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

This is my third visit to Na Balam Beach hotel and it was very relaxing! I found the people at the front desk to be very helpful, especially Brianna and Israel. The room was very clean & comfortable. This is not your 4 star hotel! It is low key and intimate-the amenities are basic, but that is all you need here if you want to relax. If you want bells and whistles, go to Cancun!!!

I would add a lock to the screen door so you can leave the glass door open at night!
This is just a minor crit - top sheet under the blanket!!!!!!!!!!

I love the restaurant, but it could be more up beat in the evening-different music each nite-love Laura Nero, but not the same tape each night?
A bit more variation on the restaurant menu - maybe a special each night, a barbecue on the beach?????( pork, fish, chicken- something special each night to bring more people to the restaurant)
The staff is lovely, but need to be a bit more aware of the customers.

Room Tip: Second floor-You get a breeze and do not have to use the air conditioner.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo