“Just Lovely”

Na Balam Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Just Lovely”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This was our second year in a row at Na Balam and we plan to return next year. Our room was on the beach side and wouldn't trade it for anything. The first year we had a first floor room with a remodeled bathroom, the second was upstairs without the remodel. They were both fine. Breakfast was included at ZaZil-Ha which is right on the beach! The food is great! The beach is the most lovely beach I've experienced. Warm water, best location, beautiful blue color, and zero depth. I don't have any complaints with the staff. They were very good. A matter of fact they set us up with a bucket of beer with lime so we could enjoy our balcony in privacy. We also liked it because it is walking distance to all the restaurants in town. Which we walked every night. It's a very quiet, small, and comfy hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Excellent stay. Beautiful location and nice interiors, both restaurants and bars were good. The only thing I would say that there was no tv in our room, don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Wifi was restricted to communal areas which I didn't expect with the price tag of the stay. However it is a really nice place and would certainly stay again. :)

• Stayed March 2012
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I read a lot of reviews. Rooms may need some updating, but by far you are on the best, most beautiful spot of whole island. That said, WELL worth it. Very gorgeous location. If I hadn't been staying at this resort, it's still the beach I'd have wanted to spend my time at. Great restaurant and bar. Great yoga and holistic hotel. This island is special. It's safe and truly a spot you will want to return. So glad I went!!

• Stayed February 2013
Ontario
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We loved this place. We had oceanview room #1. The view was great from our balcony - the sea, the surf and coconut palms. The rooms are basic and the lighting is very low in the evenings as another reviewer mentioned but we don't spend much time in the room so it didn't bother us. The hotel is located on the best section of playa norte, away from the hubbub of the busy areas but certainly within walking distance if that's what you want. The restaurant was very good and all the staff were great. It's true that the wifi is only in the lobby and restaurant but it's free - some other hotels we've been to charge. Pools aren't our thing so I can't comment on it except to say there were beautiful gardens around it. If we return to Isla Mujeres (and we hope to someday) we will be staying here for sure.

Room Tip: ask for oceanview on the second story for the best view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights. Feb. 4-8 of this year. It was our 1st time to Isla Mujeres and we would recommend both the island and Na Balam to anyone. Quiet, peaceful and there are mattresses are on the beach!! In reference to the wait staff at the restaurant, I have read bad reviews here, they just seemed like they did not have a lot of experience. We would ask for something, they would say yes and then go wait on another table, pretty much like our experience in a lot of Mexico.
Also we stayed on the beach side #12, but did visit the pool (which was finished and full) area and it seemed small to us. A bit crowded, not people, just not a lot of poolside area. WiFi is as other reviews, only available in reception.
We would definitely go back to Na Balam!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pam L
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 February 2013

It was our 3rd time going to Isla, but our first time staying at NaBalam...and first time with child. It was a wonderful experience. The staff are kind and helpful. They brought us a crib and set it up in our very spacious room. We were able to enjoy adult evenings on our patio area with the chairs and hammock while the baby slept inside. (Bug repellent is a must, I got bit 50 times staying the lush and tropical poolside region).

Yoga was the surprising factor. Typically when I travel, resort yoga is sub-par for a regular practitioner, following it's morphed westernized ways of power yoga or vinyasa style. I had done yoga in the past at NaBalam through visiting retreats being hosted there.

This time was different and a joyous surprise. I had the wonderful experience of meeting Lal, the yoga instructor, who opened my eyes to my narrow minded and opinionated way of practicing Iyengar Yoga only. Lal taught me about the history of Sivananada, the Chakras and how Vastu yoga came about. He is very warm hearted and kind with a magical aura. He has a deep philosophical base, which I found intriguing. I was fortunate enough to practice for 3 consecutive mornings while my husband watched the baby. This was a dream and my body loved the benefits. The yoga space is so beautiful and peaceful. I can't stop raving about it to friends at home and can't wait for the day to return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TG2squared
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I held our wedding at Na Balam on January 3, 2013. We can't begin to express how pleased we were with the hotel, the staff, the food, the accommodations - everything was fantastic!! We can't wait to return!

Here is why we loved it:

1) Professionalism!
We worked closely with Adely, the coordinator, several months in advance to work on logistics and lodging for our party, primarily by email though we also spoke on the phone a few times. Adely is extremely professional and always got back to any question we had within one business day. She provided clear information about what the hotel could offer and sought quotes for services brought in from outside. The day after we arrived, we met with her and the head of the restaurant to go over final details. Two days later we had the wedding of our dreams. (She and the rest of the staff were also very accommodating to last minute ideas such as using fresh coconuts for the toast - we found a vendor on the island but he had to set up at the hotel a couple of hours in advance to 'uncork' all the coconuts!)

2) Beauty all around
The beach itself is super calm and shallow, perfect for lounging - and a stunning backdrop for our wedding.

The rooms are gorgeous - and most of the ones we saw were quite spacious! We stayed in Room 15, which had a private patio & pool that overlooked the beach. My grandmother uses a wheelchair, and she was able to enjoy a comfortable stay at one first floor rooms. My father in law stayed in Room 7, which was on the second floor with a gorgeous balcony overlooking the beach,a huge bed and a large & stylish sofa. For a lesser price, some of our guests stayed in smaller rooms that still had very nice decor, good views, and smaller balconies. The price for the rooms was reasonable, and we appreciated that very much given all the other wedding expenses we had.

3) Loved the Food!
The food at Zazil Ha was delicious - I particularly enjoyed their breakfast options and apple lassi. Just be aware that they can and do run out of things from time to time, so keep your cool and go with what they have (Isla Mujeres is an island, after all, and it's not as fast to source things as it is in the mainland!)

We catered the wedding through Zazil Ha, and we all had plenty of food to go around. We are mostly vegetarian, and the Chef provided us with an exquisite vegetarian taquiza (several taco fillings including potato with roasted poblano chile and tofu with green beans in green chili sauce) as well as a superbly seasoned fish, aguas frescas, and lots of great trimmings such as mango pico de gallo, guacamole, and habanero salsa.

The night before the wedding, my then-fiance surprised me with a beachside private dinner set in a circle of candles on the beach, which he also organized with Zazil Ha. It was extremely romantic.

4) Great (and thoughtful!) amenities
The hotel offers excellent yoga classes (as reported by several of our guests, two of whom are yoga instructors), and they provided us with studio space to offer a private yoga class for our guests (we provided the instructor) as part of the pre-wedding activities.

We also took advantage of the couples massage on the beach (I think we paid $150 for 1.5 hours for both of us). It ranks as one of the top 3 massages I've ever gotten in my life!

On our wedding night, we came back to a gorgeously decorated room, covered in red rose petals and with a couple of swan-shaped towels in the middle of the bed.

Overall, our experience with Na Balam was an absolute dream! We wholeheartedly recommend Na Balam as an ideal place for a dream destination wedding - as well as for a trip for couples, for friends, and especially for families, given the calm & shallow beach.

Thank you, Na Balam!