“Comfort with no frills. Paradise.”

Na Balam Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is a great hotel. We were treated with respect and genuine kindness by front desk and cleaning staff. I must say that my boyfriend and I are minimalist when it comes to service needs as well as material needs. This is a great location if you just want to go and relax and enjoy the culture without feeling as though the people (locals/hotel workers) owe you something. Isla Mujeres is a beautiful place full of beautiful people and Na Balam was no different. You're walking distance from all the worthy attractions and Fenix is a fun spot just next door if you feel you're in more of a party mood one day. The hotel is in a premier location hidden and away from the busier streets. The gardens are gorgeous. The food is good. I would not recommended getting an all-inclusive package at all. There are too many amazing restaurants on the island to waste all your meals eating at Na Balam. We had a deal that included the continental breakfast which was a waste. You get a sad plate of tasteless fruit and toast. Stay at the hotel for the beach but venture out for food. The beach was the BEST on the island. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

1  Thank Faye S

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Hotel Na Balam is in an amazingly lovely spot and we enjoyed our 5-day stay immensely. The rooms are simple, but this is what we wanted. No TV, no phone, no radio, no room service. There IS air conditioning (and you will need it).

The restaurant at the hotel was wonderful. The ceviche Balam was the best we had on the island. The coffee delicious and plentiful.

The yoga was divine and traditional - heavy on breathing and relaxation, with a dose of postures that most people would never dream of attempting. Communicate your boundaries and you will be fine. The palapa where we did the yoga was fantastic - cool and breezy and heavenly. The yogi - Lal - was inspiring.

We upgraded to a (junior?) suite with a private plunge pool. In retrospect, this was an unnecessary expense since we couldn't quite bring ourselves to get in the pool, not being sure how the water was maintained, etc. It looked a bit, well, not pristine. (I did see someone from the hotel once while we were there sprinkling something into it.)

The room was fairly clean, though due to the humidity, it was never 'crisp.' The deadbolt on our hotel door was broken and the handle rather loose. The doors to the outdoor (plunge pool) were somewhat rickety and the screen and curtains hard to open. It felt 'tired' in these ways.

The biggest problem, hands down, with the room was that the air conditioning didn't reach around to the vanity or bathroom. There was no ventilation in the bath, save one window with no screen (and the tiny mosquitos were voracious). We are tidy people. I'm fairly sure we didn't desecrate the bathroom in any way while we were there. But it smelled like a truck stop by the time we left. Sadly, I would not go back for that reason alone (or perhaps I would, at least, insist on a bath with a screen?)

Some basic maintenance would go a long way here. With that and a solution to the bathroom issue, it would easily be a 4-star property.

1  Thank Sara S
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Our second visit to Na Balam and we will return again and again! If you're looking for tranquility, peace and quiet, this is the place for you. Clean simple rooms with plenty of space, nice amenities, wonderful office and desk staff to greet and help you (Israel and Adely), and the one of the prettiest beaches on the planet, Na Balam is a must stay! The yoga center on the property will provide you with caring instructors with daily classes to choose from 7 days a week. Na Balam's resident cats wil make you smile as they attack the property lizards for a daily snack. The food next door is good, drinks are fabulous. Did I mention the view of the ocean? WOW! Be sure and book a trip with a local boat operator for swimming with the whalesharks, put that on your bucketlist! We did and we're glad we did it! Jorge is one of the best whaleshark tour operators on the island. See you next time, Na Balam!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I booked a room directly with the Hotel and Front Desk at Hotel via phone, was told my room would be #9, a basic room on the second floor in front of the sea, terrace with a hammock. I was excited to go. When we were at the front desk for Check in, I noticed the room number was not what I booked. The Receptionist ask the Manager and he came to help in the situation. Seemed he needed to shuffle some things around and then told us we were "up-graded" to a Master Suite! WOW! It was and is a real nice room, but if I had known that the bar next door was going to be louder than loud I would have requested something else.....could not even take a nice siesta in the afternoon on Saturday because of the noise, needed that siesta because I didn't sleep well Friday night because of the noise.......We received a Welcome Letter during our stay offering us 25% off food and beverage from the Hotel to visit the Bar and Restaurant next door (NOT the Hotels' Bar and Restaurant, but the Noisy one!) ..... No, we did not use it, but we had gone there for lunch on the first afternoon and it was good. On Saturday night the loud music went on until 2 am. The Hotel is good, the service is good, the room was great, it's just the bar next door that really sucked bad, unless of course you are into the party scene and like it......I was looking forward to a relaxing tranquil stay. It was far from that, NOT the fault of the Hotel at all.....just telling future guests to stay FAR FAR away from the bar next door. I would return to this hotel, maybe not on a weekend........

Room Tip: Strongly request a room AWAY from the Restaurant and Bar that is NEXT DOOR. It is SUPER loud. Too...
4  Thank COZUMEL_ROCKS_24_7
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My two teenage sons and I stayed here for a week--we just got back, in fact. What we liked about this hotel is how un-Cancun it is. If you are looking for a frenzy of activity, this place is not for you. If you are looking for a five star hotel with pandering staff, this is also not for you. This is a simple, small hotel of 32 rooms. We found the staff very courteous and responsive. The beach is superb. We asked for, and immediately got, a hammock slung on our balcony (Room 5, second floor, great view. I recommend the beach front rooms rather than the rooms near the pool, which have no view and never got much sun.) Service at the hotel's restaurant is not super-fast, and the maid is not going to have your room cleaned by 8 AM. But if you go to a place like this with a somewhat-relaxed frame of mind, you'll end up having a wonderful time. Wi-Fi worked OK; we got the all-inclusive food/drink package for three days of our stay--which worked out nicely (excellent ceviche!); and we had a fantastic time. My two teenagers are very critical consumers and impatient at times with adults (at least with me)--yet they both LOVED their stay in this hotel and the week in Isla Mujeres. As a parent, I am happy if my kids are happy.

As an aside--we arranged for a visit to Chichen Itza mid-way through the trip. A long, very frustrating day since I cheaped out and paid for a public tour, which cost about half of a private tour. As a consequence, we were stuck on a hot tour bus which seemingly stopped at every hotel in Cancun to pick up and then drop off our fellows, and it took us eight hours just to get to Chichen Itza. A private tour would have been much more enjoyable and quick, and would have allowed plenty of time at the ruins. That this tour was somewhat unsatisfying, however, was my fault, and not the fault of the Na Balam.

By the way--sign up for a Whale Shark tour with Mundaca Divers while you're at the NaBalam beach. This was an absolutely wonderful half-day excursion.

So--I heartily recommend a stay at Na Balam unless you're looking for a megahotel with round-the-clock activity. I will gladly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony K
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We used to love the NaBalam & came here for many summers. This year we stayed at another hotel on the island but came by to check out the beach and enjoy their superb piña coladas. The drinks are still as good as ever, but I'm sorry to say I can't say the same for the hotel. It looks rundown and uncared for. It's in desperate need of a complete renovation. What used to be a quiet and beautiful beach (OK, the size of the beach was reduced drastically by a hurricane several years ago and has never recovered) is now crammed with party boats anchored offshore and wall to wall people. They've opened a "lounge" on the side beach where music blares until late at night - this fact alone completely destroys the anticipation of a quiet and restful vacation.
Playa Norte is still the best beach on the island and if the NaBalam could just come up to the modernized standards set by the newer hotels that have been built nearby, it would be a major contender once again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chelsea42
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Although it's located at the North Beach, the service was not up to the standard. Upon arrival, the front desk lady (wish I knew her name, but there's only one lady anyway) was attitudy and rude and definitely needs training in customer service!
When we complained to her about finding a crack in the sliding door in our room no.15, (especially at night, the place is filled with roaches so this crack could easily invite insects in)..she said that they couldn't do anything about it (in fact she wanted to downgrade us) and that the manager was to busy to meet us!!
We waited for the manager, who never showed up..and after losing my temper, the rude lady agreed to upgrade us after we told her that this is going on tripadvisor! At the end, the manager never came in person to apologize nor did we get an apology from the rude lady..
Although it's a nice place to stay in, unfortunately, the front desk knows nothing about customer satisfaction and did ruin our experience!

What you also need to know:
- Regarding breakfast..continental option includes fruits + toast and jam/butter..
- Beach: peaceful but full of seaweed
- Pool + Jacuzzi: ok, nothing special. On one of the days, there was a malfunction in the pool pump and people had to leave the pool
- Yoga classes: to join, you have to pay for it..

I wouldn't come back to this resort..I checked out Secreto hotel during our stay and it's AMAZING and almost the same price! Wish we stayed there..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends