“Terrible!”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Krakow, Poland
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Me and my husband have stayed at Na Balam hotel for 3 nights. We had a terrible experience with rude, unprofessional staff which generally didn't care about anything! The place itself is nice but to have a nice stay you need to have nice and polite staff around you and nice atmosphere.
There's none of this in this place. We are very disappointed because it was our honeymoon! What a pity!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NataliaSmaczny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Hebrew first
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is to describe the set of events which happened 24 June 2014 in Isla Mujeres.
My name is Tomasz Smaczny and I and my wife arrived in Na Balam hotel in Isla Mujeres on Saturday, 21 June 2014 with our rental small Chevrolet car. We reported at the reception, and inquired where we should park our car so it is safe and legal. We were told by a receptionist that we can park anywhere in the street in the proximity of the hotel, and our car will be safe, because there is security staff watching the area and the street, 24/7. So we did.
Three days later, 24 June in the morning, we saw the police officer and a car carrier taking our white Chevy. What I learnt was that the police got a notification from the hotel security staff that our car was abandoned.
I got to the police station and after my clarification I was given a fine of 159.43 MXN with 50% discount and also was asked to pay a full price to the car carrier of 1800 MXN.
In the meantime my wife Natalia went a hotel manager and asked her for help me with the translation and to pay all costs. Natalia was speaking to a lady, who refused telling her name, yet she found out her name was Adely Vega. She refused to take any responsibility and also refused to give a helping hand in this difficult situation. Literally she turned around and walked away.
Then I called this lady and asked for help and specifically for someone from hotel staff to come over to the police parking lot and station to help me in communication and also to pay a bill for a car carrier. I was told that the hotel management does not feel responsible for what happened and it is entirely my problem. After I then asked her about her position in the company and her name she simply hanged up.
We then spoke to GM – Mr Francisco Rello. After presenting our case, he apologized and felt sorry for what had happened. He also took a receipt for the biggest chunk of the entire cost (car carrier) and promised to deal with it. He nor anyone from hotel ever replied.
We felt completely hopless and cheated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TomaszTasty

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My niece and I wanted a Caribbean style vacation with a beautiful white sand beach, warm aqua water, and the right amount of creature comforts to feel spoiled without breaking the bank. Na Balam beach hotel was just the right destination! The room on the ground floor had a private patio that led right out to the beach. The restaurant also on the beach served lunch and drinks directly to our umbrella covered lounge chair. The continental breakfast perfect, with delicious fresh fruit, home baked bread and mouth-watering fresh squeezed orange juice. The room was very clean as was the entire resort. All of the staff were super friendly -especially the front desk who helped make sure the air conditioner was working. The town was a short walk away but the people we met at our hotel, combined with the beautiful environment, made us glad we had chosen Na Balam resort. I will definitely return!

Room Tip: There are rooms around the pool and close to the yoga studio which had a more serene feel although I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel's managerial staff is rude and disorganized. Front desk was crowded with folks full of complaints, about being over-charged (I was charged 2x and refused refund), wrong room, keys, no service for tourism! Food is mediocre and the peace of Yoga is not evident here. What a shame for this beautiful place on earth and sea I have been visiting for over 20 years! Total bummer.

Room Tip: there are ample local hotels on this island that can be had for 1/2 the price of this place with a f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My friend and I stayed here on our last night in Isla Mujeres and could not have asked for a better way to end our trip. Such a beautiful & calm sanctuary. The room was perfectly bare-bones-- with no TV which was lovely. The high-thatched roof was reminiscent of an Indonesian resort. The shower and bathroom were top-notched and high-end spa-quality. Unfortunately we weren't able to take a yoga class here, but hope to next time. The section of Playa Norte that Na Balam is situated on is the most beautiful part where the beach makes a gentle right turn into the ocean-- not as crowded as some of the other hotels down towards the ferry dock. I also highly recommend eating in the hotel's restaurant. The fish tacos were AMAZING. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ComeBackGal37
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just returned from a lovely 4-night stay at Na Balam. The hotel is ideally located on the best part of the beach on Isla Mujeres and is within walking distance to all the bars and restaurants so no need for a golf cart unless you are venturing further afield. As this is the best swimming/lounging beach on the islands the island tour boats (small) start weighing anchor each day around 11am and are gone by 3pm, this is not a problem as there is room for all but just something to be aware of.

We had an ocean front room with a plunge pool. The room was clean and basic, there aren't any frills here folks, i.e. no TV. I loved the plunge pool and would have loved it more if the Jacuzzi jets were working but they were not nor did they work on either unit beside ours so I assume the same is true across the board. Thankfully, the AC did work well so we were nice and cool at night.

The restaurant consistently put out tasty food and the bartender makes a delicious margarita. The wait staff were all friendly and attentive, but attentive on island time so go into it with that in mind.

If, and hopefully when, we go back to Isla Mujeres, we will definitely stay at Na Balam.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the way to go.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura S
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently had the pleasure to stay at Na Balam. I traveled Solo and had the most amazing time. Everyone at the hotel are super amazing and wonderful.
The Restaurant as well has the most amazing menu and the best seafood. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to enjoy The Hotel the beautiful Island and the friendly people of Isla Mujeres.

• Stayed July 2014