“Overall a good experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Na Balam Beach Hotel

Na Balam Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Dallas, Texas
“Overall a good experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2005

My sister and I just returned from a stay at the Na Balam and walked away with mixed feelings regarding the hotel. We booked a stay there primarily due to its location right on Playa Norte.

The staff that greeeted us were not friendly and merely went through the motions. Upon arrival our room was extremely hot; it took several hours for the room to cool down. (Thank goodness for air conditioning!) The chain was missing from the door lock and the safe in the closet did not work. After further inspection, the safe apparently had been broken into before. We asked the staff at the front desk to repair the chain which they did after a few hours. The in room safe was irreparable so they offered a larger safe behind the front desk. The night staff our first night were extremely cordial, checking to make sure we felt safe. Overall I give
SAFETY 2/5 and STAFF 3/5.

The room was basic and fairly clean. We noticed a few ants and some minor blemishes in the shower, but overall it was decent. The bed itself was very hard which was not our preference. The linens were clean and fresh. Overall I rate the ROOM 2/5.

The beach is absolutely gorgeous. There is plenty of room to spread out and lots of different types of chairs available. Service while on the beach although sporadic was friendly and definitely the right price = cheap! We ate at the restaurant one night and had shrimp and fish. The food was ok and the service was great. We preferred simple chicken nachos at Buho's instead. Overall I give the BEACH 4/5 and the FOOD 3/5.

The grounds are quite nice and kept clean. My only complaint is that the palm trees block any view of the beach from the porch of your room. We stayed in room #3 and could not see the beach at all. We were quite disappointed since our reservation said "Beach View." We tried to change rooms, but they said there were none that had views. After walking around the property, we noticed that the rooms facing the Avalon Hotel had a view, but I think those rooms were suites. If you want a view, request one of those rooms. Overall I give the PATIO/VIEW 1 1/2 out of 5.

I would return to Na Balam, but only to stay in a suite. We were there mainly for the beach and since it was definitely above average I was generous in rating this hotel 3/5 overall.

• Stayed September 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Cara W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Hebrew first
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

Na Balam surpassed all expectations. A 2 star hotel that acts like a 4. We stayed at the Na Balam for four nights (our parents, ourselves and our 20 and 8 month old babies.) The staff was one as friendly as the next. The grounds were beautiful, welcoming, relaxing and clean. The pool is not huge but very private and a great alternative to the hot and sometimes crowded beach. Because Na Balam is on Playa Norte, the most beautiful beach on the island, many who are not hotel guests come to the area of Na Balam's beachfront. The breakfast and lunch were fresh, reasonable and varied. On site massage therapy was excellent, relaxing. Alicia was a total pro. Staff was particularly helpful with all request for the babies (cribs, hot water, milk, late in the day room cleaning to accommodate naps.) Happy Hour bar has a great 2 for 1 from 7-9pm. There were no surprises with the bill at the end. Internet services/TV available in lounge if you want to check on world events. Security is ever present. Our door was accidentally left ajar late at night and the officer on duty alerted us within minutes. The entire atmosphere is one of "total relax." Clearly, the Na Balam concept was carefully and well thought out resulting in a perfect vacation - will recommend to anyone who asks about where to go in Mexico.

14 Thank galavotti44
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2005

The rooms are spacious, the location--on the most gorgeous beach on the island is unbeatable--the staff was friendly and helpful and the ambiance is peaceful and relaxing.

Hot water is spotty and the pool is a bit murky, but these amenities are completely superfluous when you are in front of a clear turqoise sea in balmy weather. I highly recommend the Na Balam and would definitely return there.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2005

We had a wonderful experience at Na Balam. The location is perfect! It is the most beautiful beach on the island and it is close enough to walk to Hidalgo Street, the mail shopping and eating area. The sunsets are picture perfect each night and the beach is so wonderful. The water is shallow very far out. The restaurant had great food and happy hour is from 4-6 each night at the bar. We stayed in room 12 for our honeymoon. From talking to other guests, sounds like we had a really nice room? It was on the beach side of the hotel, not the pool side.
There was one downfall and a few things to be aware of before you travel there. The biggest complaint we had is that the pool was dirty, murky and we didn’t want to even put our feet in it. Don’t really need a pool with the beautiful sea there, but we wanted to cool off with out the sand and couldn’t. We loved the place, it was an older place, so don’t expect everything to be new looking. It was all kept well, the grounds were great and the rooms were clean. They are a little dated, but that is part of the charm to me. It was a small place, you got to know your neighbors. It had a more authentic feel to it than some of the bigger newer places.
I would recommend this place to anyone! It was wonderful! The staff was kind and helpful and one of the coolest things was getting your own bed and pillows everyday on the beach. Head down the beach a little to Sunset Grill for dinner if you want something different, very good food. The food is excellent, but can get a little costly everywhere you go. If you are in the mood for a picnic, there is a super market in town, so you can save some money. If you head into town… go see George pronounced “hor-hay” at the Chili Loco’s. He is wonderful, great food, staff, drinks and company! Please tell him the newlyweds from Colorado say hola! Hope you enjoy!

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank KristieDenver_CO
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2005

If you'd like to get away from hectic Cancun, this island and hotel is ideal. It has the same wonderful beaches; one side has rougher waters and the Playa Norte has the wonderful sand and calm waters.

Na Balam, on Playa Norte, is a laid back resort, with the best location on the island. It is surrounded by beach and the resort provides double loungers/beds and umbrellas right on the beach! It has a wonderful restaurant, simple and clean rooms, and lovely grounds.

Getting there is easy. After arriving at Cancun's airport, take a cab, ($50.00) to the ferry for a 20 min.crossing, ($5.00), and a quick, 1 km. ride to the hotel by cab ($5.00). It's easily walked if you don't mind carrying your luggage.

There are two sections to the hotel, those facing the beach and others, facing the pool, just across the sand lane. Our room was in three storey walk ups, pool side and were large enough to have a third bed brought in. Air conditioning and fridge were the only extras, and were appreciated.

The staff was very accomodating. My friend had tripped over the hammock that had been strung across the room's entrance and seriously sprained her foot. Caution!

The town is delightful. While it has enough touristy shops and bars, it still retains some authenticity, too. Wandering the sand streets and enjoying small local restaurants was the night's entertainment. Renting bicycles and scooters to explore the rest of the island is another fun thing available.

10 Thank bev1974
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2005

We were there May 10-14-2005. Cannot say enough about the service, beach, and just great people. We had one of the deluxe master suites with hot tub overlooking the beach; clean and confrontable. Our first trip to Isla Mujeres and will be back to stay at the Na Balam. The hotel has a great beach, which my wife enjoyed while I sat at the bar in the shade and cheered her on; I'm not a beach and sun guy. Chewey, sure his name is not spelled correctly, is a great bartender. The hotel is in walking distance of town. Ok guys I'm not a kid I'm retired and it wasn't too far for me. Stay at the Na Balam if you want the flavor of Mexico otherwise stay in Cancun. We left Isla Mujeres for Cozumel to a villa we have rented before for seven more days. Great trip.
Dannie & Rita
ps. great bunch of other guest there also

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2005

My husband and I stayed here from April 30-May 4, 2005. Our first room was on the side of the hotel near the pool. No big deal but they are currently renovating a few of the rooms on that side of the hotel. The workers were sawing and hammering until 730-8pm our first night. ANd they were right outside our room so I couldn;t use the lovely hammock to relax. I asked the front desk if there was another room on the beach side of the hotel. He told me no but that the crew doesn't start working until 11am. Well the next day at 8am they started working. I was not happy. They were able to move us to a much better room on the beach side. But the manager pulled a bit of an attitude with us about it. Kind of blaming me for booking the room on the pool side. As if I had a choice! and he asked me "did you book through a travel agent?" as if that might have been the reason but I actually booked directly through the hotel.
the location on Playa Norte was excellent. The staff at the beach bar and restaurant were great. The beach is beautiful. If I were to go back to IM. I would stay on Playa Norte but might try another hotel first.

• Stayed May 2005