“Best Choice”

Hotel Posada Del Mar
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Been to Isla Mujeres many times but somehow, I missed this gem. Right on the beach, close to Playa Norte and just about everything. I stayed in main building and it was just fine. No 5 star hotel but who wants that on the island. Very homey, Everyone was nice from Romey bartender to maids to front desk. Nice pool. Very secure safe was nice. Restaurants and bank within 2 blocks.
Location, location, location..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cpaadmin63

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The place is fairly run down, the staff, with the exception of the lovely cleaning staff, is highly uninterested in service... I would say you get exactly what you pay for. This is the place if you don't really care about luxury or details, just looking for a base camp for exploring the island. The best thing with this hotel is the clean rooms and the great location - 4 minutes walk to Playa Norte.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My lovely wife and i stayed at PDM the week of february 5 throught the 13 and enjoyed the location very much, if you want to experience all that isla mujeres has to offer and do not want to spend a bundle of money just for a place to lay your head at night, this is the place. Rooms are clean and they offer free wifi access in the lobby as well as at the curbside restaurant. Nice pool area and a nice palapa bar/lounge area, although we missed any of the friendly staff everyone else seems to have found there...restaurant and bar seemed to have been consistently devoid of guests, although with so many great dining/drinking choices within a moments walk, not surprising. Front desk staff was neither friendly nor unfriendly....but were not helpful at any point either...was never informed that they had beach towels behind the desk until other guests let us in on that secret. Also had booked a room in the newest building and pretty sure we got the old section room 312, but was fine, bring an extension cord with you as one outlet seems pretty standard here. Overall not a bad experience here, just not one that will leave you thinking about how long until you get back there.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at PDM Feb. 1 - 12/14. I must agree that the front desk staff need to attend Happy School but I am not there to make besties with them. I needed a key and towels and that is what they gave me. I have a thing about sitting/sleeping on top of the bed cover, so that was removed daily. The sheets and pillow cases smelled very fresh and clean. The maids did an awesome job cleaning the rooms and were very friendly. We were very satisfied with our room, which was in the new section. The fridge worked, shower was huge, toilets flushed, only one night did we not have hot water but the cold water was tolerable, air-conditioner worked great, flat screen tv had the outlet to plug our laptop in to watch movies (downloaded 14 from home and only watched 2). We only used the pool area once (we came to sit by the ocean) but it was clean and wet....it did the job. The location is perfect....right across from the ocean and 2 blocks from the main tourist street, Hildago. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again. I am now an Islaholic!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was my first stay on Isla Mujeres & from reading reviews from others I expected the front desk staff to be unfriendly. Never once did they smile or try to be helpful, but like I said that was expected. We stayed in the new part on second floor & our maid was great. We loved the view from our balcony and even though our room wasn't perfect it was perfect for us. The location of PDM is awesome!! Romy in the bar was so sweet & we will return again. The rooms do not have hair dryers or irons, but they do have a safe and a mini fridge which was nice. We did not spend a lot of time at the hotel, but the location and price made it worth it for us.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mungergirl
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Location, location, location. The good thing is the hotel is a very short walk from the beach, and you can watch the sunset every night from your balcony. The bad thing is you're a very short walk from the beach where partiers carried on loudly until about 5:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, only til 3 or 4 a.m. on other days.

Shutting the balcony doors would help the noise problem, but then you'd need to use the incredibly loud a/c. We opted for breezes and street noise because it at least was sporadic, not continuous.

We were on the second floor of the old building, in a very large room with a comfortable king-sized bed. The room itself was nice, but maintained rather haphazardly. The shower head was old and delivered a half-hearted spray. The toilet leaked a little bit, wetting a section of the floor. Some of the room lights worked, others didn't. Towel hooks were broken or crookedly screwed on. There were two reading lights by the bed, but only one outlet. The guy at the desk didn't think it would be possible to get a multi-outlet socket or extension cord.

At the end of January the pool area was in good shape, a nice place to hang out during the day. If there was a friendly bartender around he must have been off duty when I bought my drinks.

All in all it's not a bad place to stay, probably best for sound sleepers, which I apparently am not. When the beach noise died down in the early morning I learned that at 7:15 a.m. the kids at the school right next door did exercises. Over a loudspeaker: "Uno, uno, uno, uno, dos! Uno, uno, uno, dos!"

So in some ways better than average, in others worse.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank interactive_al
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was looking forward to my stay at the Posada del Mar at the tail end of a trip to the Yucatan. I noted the location on previous trips to Isla and read rave reviews about the pool bartender Romy. Romy was charming and the pool was wonderful with the view of the beach and plenty of loungers. Hotel reception was another story. I was greed without a hello or even a smile by a desk clerk who clearly hated her job. The other guy at reception was equally cold. I never got the wake up call that I requested and when I mentioned that at checkout I got no response. Not only no apology but no response at all. The dispirited attiude of the staff suggests that they are either severley underpaid or the hotel is just going through the motions before they sell out their fantastic location to developers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo