“Hotel Pasada Del Suck” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Posada Del Mar
Seattle, Washington
“Hotel Pasada Del Suck”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Made the reservation through Orbitz, which I almost never do, but they didn't have service through their website. They couldn't find it. When they did, they put us in the worst hotel room I have been seen in my life; seriously. It was filthy. I asked to pay extra and get upgraded and was told they were full. Not even remotely true in June. My husband went up and asked again and was told yes. The new room was the same set up, but at least the walls weren't literally covered in mold. I know it's the tropics, but there were a large number of ants in the room. There was only wifi in the lobby. The front desk people were not helpful and at times rude, and I pride myself on being a good American traveler...I am polite, I speak Spanish (poorly, but still), it was the worst service and hotel in the 6 times I have been to Mexico. The pool turned completely green with algae on our 2nd day, so we couldn't take a quick dip to cool off. If given other comparable options, I would choose something else if I were you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank amyhoke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Hebrew first
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a terrific value for the money. I had a mini-suite in the new building and it was clean and spacious. The beds aren't plush but they're not rock-hard either - I've had worse mattresses in Mexico. I believe I had 5 English stations on the flat-screen TV including HBO, the refrigerator kept my Diet Cokes, water, and protein bars chilled but not cold and a microwave and hair dryer were provided. My friend had a coffee maker in her mini-suite which I did not, but the pot didn't have a lid and coffee packets were never provided; I'm actually not sure if that was an amenity that I should have expected. Water coolers are provided in the lobby and in the sitting area between buildings one and two. I was able to get wifi in my room using the bar's wifi network but that may vary depending upon the location of your room. I was on the 2nd floor at the very end of the new buiding. Of course, you can always get wi-fi in the lobby but it does get hot in there.
The bad: the walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors (including the ones who over-indulged and didn't feel very well in the middle of the night) as well as every door slam and hallway footstep (the doors require a good pull to close which results in an echoing slam). The air conditioning, while strong, was pointed right at the bed. I needed to turn it off every night in order to not freeze. Minor annoyances: the key I was given for the safe didn't work and the shower drained very slowly which made for a slippery floor as the maid didn't scrub it every day. I could have exchanged the safe key for a functional one but I made do with my locked suitcase and I never reported the slippery floor, so I can't really complain about something which I didn't give them an opportunity to remedy.
Assorted notes: There is no elevator. I enjoyed the bar area and Romi (he makes a mean mudslide). The restaurant was always empty. It's a shame because they have a prime location. I did see people in the bar order food from there but I never heard whether it was good. The pool was clean. I found the front desk employees to be reserved but not unfriendly. Just be nice and you'll receive courtesy in return. That's the rule in any country. Any other questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help if I can.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank divingwahine
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Clean rooms! Great pool! Sea view! Romy in the bar! Pool tables! The place is amazing! One of my very favorite places to stay on the Island! Great for families! Reasonably priced! The new section is much nicer than the old section!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank iloveislamujeres
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel Posada del Mar is very reasonably priced hotel located just across the beach in Punta Norte (North Beach) of the island. Within easy walking distance from the ferry landing. One of the best features is the palapa (or patio) located next to the street where you will find very comfortable seating areas for meeting up with fellow travelers, relaxing with a game (perfect for those rainy days!), or just hanging out watching the beach goers across the street. Because it's across the street from the beach, the view is gorgeous from the palapa. Romi's Bar is also located on the palapa, where you'll find friendly service and great liquid beverage. Adjacent is the hotel restaurant, which I can't review as we didn't eat there.

The building designation is confusing as there are actually three separate buildings; the original building located right behind reception, the "new" building (which we'll refer to as new # 1), which is parallel to the pool, and the "new" building (which we'll refer to as new # 2) which sits almost at a 90 degree angle from the pool. Yep, I told you it was confusing! We reserved a room in the "new" building (paying for the upgrade - not sure what that actually was) and ended up in new # 3 on the 3rd floor. These rooms are spacious, has AC, various bed configurations, a small balcony and a partial view of the ocean. My strong advice is to have them show you the room you are given BEFORE you accept, to see if it meets your preference. The room we were originally given had an AWFUL smell, so we asked to change rooms. The receptionist gave us all the keys to the empty rooms on that floor and we were able to pick the one we wanted in the same building, same floor.

Hotel receptionist was not overly friendly, but responded in kind when asked respectfully for another room and thanked for letting us move. After the move, the room absolutely met our needs and was comfortable for our 5-night stay.

Another nice feature of the hotel is that they have large water bottles located at two locations, where you can fill up your water bottles and not have to continually buy more. The small fridge in the room kept what we needed to store very cold.

Recommend at least a 50 peso (at the time was approx. $5.00 US) tip each day for the maid (remember, US coins are virtually worthless in Mexico) so the sooner you can convert your money to pesos, the better. Maids are paid very poorly so the tips are incredibly important!

Be sure to ask for beach towels at the front desk for the pool or to take to the beach with you.

Couples traveling with us booked online and had a bit more problems with their reservation than we did. We made our reservation directly by calling the Florida telephone number listed on the hotel website, and were able to ask more specific questions about the property.

We would definitely stay here again for the location and the price.

A wonderful "discovery": If you go out the sort-of sketchy back entrance (which is locked at night) through large gates, you'll end up on Juarez street. Directly across the street you'll see a small, family-owned storefront that sells freshly made juice every morning. It is amazingly delicious!! Small bottle costs 15 pesos and there is quite a variety of juices. Be sure to ask for a cold one from the fridge. The first time, I bought a large one to keep in the fridge for the next day, but it didn't keep well overnight - so treat yourself to one every morning. A lovely treat!!

Room Tip: Our group had three rooms on the 3rd floor of the "newest" section (ours was 332). Rememb...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingOreg0nians
Bay City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked in the new section, and upon arriving were given a room in the old section. I went back to check-in and the girl told me it was newer, and I refused it. With much anger she gave me a room in the new section. There was four of us and it suited our needs for a place to rest and would go back there again. Next time only two to a room though. Thiis was our 3rd or 4th time to vacation in Isla and will do it again!

Room Tip: New section!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chevylet55
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

At the price point I can't really knock the place for being slightly ghetto. The air conditioning leaked (into my room and wasn't fixed), the wifi is only in the lobby, and the staff is bitter. But it sure was cheap and the location was good.

That said, my room door was left completely open (all day) after being cleaned. Someone had locked the handle but neglected to actually close the door. Fortunately my stuff remained where it was.

This place is fine if you're looking for a no frills hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third (top) floor for the best views of the water.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil_Travels
Cozumel, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked Hotel Posada Del Mar on cheap hotels.com. They advertised prices for the old section and prices for the new section. Book the new section because of the poor reviews for the old section. Checked in, got to our room. If this is the new section, can't imagine what the old section is like!!! The toilet stool actually moved on the floor. Wasn't the seat it was the stool itself. Went to turn the water on in the sink and the faucet actually lifted right out of the sink. Construction that was done was extremely poor. If you r in Isla Mujeres there is better places to stay!!

Room Tip: Don't know if they have any???
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple