“To expensive for what it is”

Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 19 April 2011

The location of this hotel is perfect. Its directly at Playa Northe, the best beach at Isla Mujeres. Its builted very nice and you have a lot of palmtrees and flowers in the hotel area. its like a little tropical garden,with a small pool area. The roome are big and confortable. But the baroom is a mess. its so small that you hit your head on the entrance, the shower is showering everything but not you and the towels are smelly. The Balcony is large with indirecte beach view. You have confortable seets and a small table. But the balconys are not save for children. You can easly fall over when you dont pay attention. The protection is only 60 cm high!! You also see all your neighbours, because there is no wall that covers the view:
The room it self is just a little lighted with 3 smal lamps. The bed is soft and you have and its clean.
I think when you count all this together its a 2 - 3 star hotel. So US $ 75 iper night is really a high price. And you have to give your creditcard directly at arrival to pay a depot of US $ 150! They take it from your account and i can only hope, that they give it back. I learned not to trust in mexico. But i had to. Otherwhise you dont get the room.

I would recommand for people who like a quiet beach place for a short trip

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2011

What a great find ! This a perfect place to relax. This is trully a family run place and they are always on the premises to assist you with anything. We stayed at the Castle section for a week and had a great time, the rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable. The beach is only foot steps away with sugary sand.One of the best beaches you will ever find!
My husband has been in the hospitality buisness his whole life and his expectations were met . Isla Mujeres is not a resort destination, you get great value for your dollars but do not come to Isla Mujeres with the mind set of a luxury five star resort to be pampered, this property is safe clean and enjoyable for those who undestand the "mojo" of Isla Mujeres.
You can totally decompress at this property.

Room Tip: Contact the owners directly before your arrival.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sunseeker515
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We had some concerns about the hotel, after reading all the negative reviews. However, we were with a large group of friends and several had stayed here before (on numerous occasions).

We were pleased with the reception we received from the front desk staff. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready, but we were assured it would be done by 1pm. And, it was.

Room was clean, spartan, but one doesn't go to Isla Mujeres to sit in a hotel room. Everything was in good working order: safe, TV, AC.

The breakfast, I agree, isn't much, but they have a reasonably priced menu if one wants to order a larger meal. The wait staff is helpful and frienly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Castle section.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I came down with a group of 33 people for my wedding on the most glorious beach in Mexico- right next to the Hotel. We too had all read some of the negative things about this hotel and after coming back I have to assume these people were looking for more of a "resort"....which is not what this is- it is a lovely little mexican hotel. Not 1 person in my group had an issue at this hotel and found the service with the staff and the waiters at Buho's to be second to NONE! What a wonderful experience all around! Complimentary toast, coffee and juice was perfect for those who eat a light breakfast or prefer just coffee, but there's a very reasonable menu to order off of too with excellent food. Each room was quaint, different and very adequate for what we wanted and who is in their room much anyway!? Everyone loved it so much that most of my guests' are already planning return trips! With over 13 rooms rented out and not one bad experience I'm not sure what the others are talking about....A little slice of heaven!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenT07
Reviewed 31 March 2011

The location could not be any better. I read the previous reviews before I went, so I was prepared for a rude staff, and upon arrival I did find them rude. I showed interest in the staff asking names, children etc. and they warmed right up - Especially Margarhita. The breakfast should be skipped, it was useless. However, overall I would definitely go to this hotel again - we have been home for a week and no sign of bedbugs or any other strange spots. We have stayed on Isla Mujeres 8 different times, and I thought the small inadequacies for this hotel were made up for by the location.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank magwitch3
Reviewed 24 March 2011

this hotel is not what appears on the internet. our room was like a cave, dark, uninviting, no place to put anything, and it did not have ocean view as stated in the review. there was a bed, a fridge with a television placed on top. there wasn't even a chair to put anything on. the bathroom was clean, but very spartan with the shower (no walls), sink and toilet. we were given only two bath sized towels, threadbare, and no face cloth or hand towels. you know you are in trouble when the beach towel provided is softer and newer than the room towels. we were unhappy with the room and asked to see another room. we were told "manana" tomorrow. i said that surely you know now if you have vacancies, and we were ignored and told we'll see tomorrow. needless to say, we looked for another room and left the next day. when we were told that we had to pay a day's penalty, we explained that we weren't shown another room even though we had told the desk that we were unhappy with the room provided.. the service person said, she's not sure why that happeed, but we still have to pay and that was that. i've been to this lovely island five times now, and i have never encountered such poor service, particularly the attitude that the hotel staff didn't even care that we were uncomfortable. the breakfast included is not more than dry toast and fake orange juice and coffee, service was equally weak. although the hotel is in an excellent location (on the beach), i would not recommend this hotel ever. their attitude definitely does not reflect the nature of the general population, nor the island's commitment to bringing enjoyment to its tourists. for twenty dollars more, we stayed in an absolutely beautiful place where we were reminded once again, how beautiful this island and its people are. there was no comparison between the two.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I fell in love when I walked into the hotel. All the plants, flowers and trees look amazing!
The pool area was great and you can't beat the walk to the beach. Literally, right next door. After carrying our luggage 3 flights of stairs, we finally made it to our room.
The room was very outdated. I'm not picky so I didn't care. Everything was great until we laid down for the night! the bed was horrible!!! OMG, it was so hard to get some sleep on that bed. Once my husband and I finally fell asleep, we hear some kids yelling in the hallway. After 20 minutes I turn on the light to try and call the front desk to complaint and of course there is no phone in the room.
We woke up with headaches and a sore neck. NOT what I had in mind!
The next nights was a repeat of the first night. Bad bed and yelling people in the hallways.
The rooms were also very small. I kept running into the bed, chair, desk. Not at all what I had in mind.
This hotel really ruined our Isla Mujeres experience. We were very disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple