“Nice place not friendly receptie” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cabanas Maria Del Mar

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Goes
“Nice place not friendly receptie”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

On the nice beach, room small but got à fridge, Nice garden small swimmingpool. We stayed for 4 days. Breakfast was easy if you Pay more you cane get more. THE chairs on THE beach you have to Pay for it. Not possible to dinner in THE restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

The "tower" has rooms that are run down. The bathroom has a wall separating the toilet from the shower, but nothing between the shower and sink. The sink is just an old sink with no counter to place personal items. The balcony shown in their photos is actually enclosed with glass. No good view of the ocean here or fresh breezes.

I asked if I could stay just the night and leave the next day and get a refund for the nights that I don't stay. They then offered me a room in the "cabanas" which are much nicer and appear newer. They have open covered balconies wide enough for a table and chairs. I agreed to stay but got a nasty comment from the office person that the room is more expensive and I reserved a cheaper room. They didn't charge me the difference, but had I seen the condition of the "tower" room, I would not have made the reservation, so I believe they are misleading the public.

Also not on the hotel photos is the fence between the hotel grounds and beach. I think it is for security, but no other hotel on this stretch of beach has a fence. It disrupts the view of the beach and is just ugly! After 5:00 PM, they lock the gate in this fence and you have to walk around it.

The breakfast is just toast, coffee and juice. The menu is reasonable but don't expect good deals on food. This is a tourist area and prices are comparable to going out to eat in the States. I've walked to town and bought food from street vendors which was very cheap.

You can walk to the port from this hotel. It is probably less than a mile. Cabs are plentiful and will cost a couple of dollars.

Overall, I would give the room I am in now 3 stars. I would give tower rooms 1 star. The housekeeping staff don't know how to make a bed and place a small bottom sheet on the bed not long enough to tuck in which does little good if you move at all in your sleep. The housekeeper seems very forgetful and once left towels with all of her keys on a chair outside our room. So much for locking doors! The first room had no soap, shampoo, etc... The second room had no wash cloths.

There are a lot of places on the island that you can stay for just a few dollars more and get a room with a kitchenette.

The best thing that this hotel has going for them is its location, which they spoil with their fence.

Room Tip: Cabanas are nice. Tower rooms are old and ugly with small, bathroom. Beach here is very good and w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kerry_in_STL

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

My husband and I stayed ere for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. The room was very clean, the AC worked great, and the balcony had a wonderful view of North Beach. The beach is a one minute walk from the hotel. The free breakfast isn't much. Toast, coffee and juice. But the restaurant was decent, and right on the beach, so we just added onto it with some eggs. It was not very expensive. The staff was not overly attentive, but available when needed. We loved it and definitely plan to return!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I have been staying here for 4 years. No problems but front desk is somewhat aloof. That's OK. The hotel is minimal but a great location and price. I checked in on June 5 and as I went to turn on the lamp at the bedside, it litereally fell apart. Apparently it was broken and pieced together without gluing in place.

I reported to the desk and continued my stay for 15 nights. Upon check out they charged me $35.00 for the lamp I did not break stating the maid said it was not broken when I checked in. It was charged to my credit card which I will dispute but what a terrible way to treat a steady customer.

I have stayed there six times in 4 years for two weeks minimum and they should not depend on customers to refurbish worn or broken items, period. I'm far from a spring breaker who destroys rooms and did not have a part in the damage. I guess it's my word against theirs. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank PattiPennsylvania
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

The location on North Beach is amazing - for this reason I would stay here again. Rooms were OK, not fancy but everything I needed - the fridge in the room was a bonus. Staff were fairly laid-back but I didn't rally require anything, so it wasn't a problem. Could also walk into town within 5 minutes for shops, restaurants, decent coffee!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank NettsG
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Check In - Check in was simple, there is of course a big language barrier and the staff did come across a little stand offish but overall was pretty pain free

The Grounds - The grounds and the buildings are beautiful, you can hear the waves from anywhere in the compound. It's all sandy passage ways, lots of palm trees, very tranquil. The pool are is small, but when you're on the beach front it's not a massive issue. There are hammocks by the pool along with sun loungers.

The Room - We were staying for 5nights, if i'm honest this isnt the hotel to stay at if you're having a long stay on the island. We did experience a few problems, the air conditioning was very loud, to the point we couldnt leave it on to sleep. The fridge sparked when we plugged it in ( this was fixed within half & hour when we told reception) and we had a problem with the lock on the door ( again, was fixed straight away) The rooms are basic but all in keeping with the island. They were clean & that was fine for what we needed.

Breakfast - Breakfast is at the cafe on the beach front, you need to collect a token from reception and hand it in the your waiter. Breakfast consists of Toast with Jam, Juice & english breakfast / green tea. They have free wifi & the view is a perfect way to start your day, The waiters are a little rude though.

Overall - if you're heading away with some mates or travelling through this is a great place to stay, the views and beautiful. However, if you like glitz & glam this place isnt for you. The rooms are basic. But, i can't fault the island.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank stefanieinman
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Reasonable price,the furniture is a little bit old, good service, beautiful garden, nice pool and clean, the best location in NorthBeach, the breakfast is just coffe, or orange juice and toast, but for 50.00usd and great location I would go back there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple