“Definitely won't return to this hotel”

Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The other reviewers are right. The location of this hotel cannot be beat. It is right on Playa Norte beach which in itself is one of the most amazing beaches I have ever been to, but the hotel definitely leaves a bit to be desired. No hairdryers or bottled water in the rooms. I stayed in one of the tower rooms and it was very basic, but clean and the A/C worked well. No hairdryers or bottled water in the rooms. A friend did get a hairdryer from the front desk, but didn't use it as it would have been more effective if someone blew air on her head. I was travelling with friends and had a room to myself and didn't feel very safe at all. The door to my room was a flimsy, hollow door that I'm pretty sure I could have put a fist through with one good punch. If an intruder wanted to get in, it would have been so easy. I also had problems with the hot water. It was pretty non-existent. It barely dripped out and took about 10 minutes to heat up. When I notified the front desk, they acted very surprised, but I can't imagine that I was the first person to report this issue given the other comments here.

I visited my friends rooms and they were just the same. Lots of them said they had mosquitos in their room. Luckily, I didn't or this would have been a deal breaker for me.

The front desk staff also left a bit to be desired. They were probably the most unhelpful staff that I have ever encountered. I asked them if they could help me find the number for a very popular local restaurant and she pretended to look it up for me. She pulled out a piece of paper from below the desk, scanned it, and then told me that she couldn't find it.

I'll definitely be back to Isla Mujeres, but will be staying at the Ixchel hotel next door.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room here. They are all awful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Olivia B

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our room smelled bad (discovered shower drain cover seemed strange, because it was there to try and block sewer smell coming up!). Tolerable only because the amazing beach kept us outdoors all daylight hours!
"breakfast" was toast (2 whole pieces!) so this is not any bargain.

Room Tip: avoid 48; noisy air conditioner and sewer smell from the shower drain :(
1  Thank lobsterbacks
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just got back from a 5 night stay. To those bad reviewers, It's a Beach Hotel!

Our room was very clean and the AC worked well.

Over all great deal. We will be back. It is so close to several beaches and great restaurants. Buro Bar (which is right across the street) is where breakfast is served and the closest wifi spot is fine, but for a great beach experience, go down the block to Fenix Bar and Beach Resort. They have live music every day and the drinks are top notch.

My biggest concern, is that the owners of Cabanas are not on this forum. Trip Advisor is very big in this town. The fact that they don't respond to reviews is odd. Why not add a wifi hot spot by the pool? EVERYONE there is looking for wifi.

Also, why not expand the breakfast? Maybe the rooms are too cheap to afford it, but the toast is a joke.

Having said all that, I would probably go back!

Room Tip: We had room 47. Large and private, next to the pool.
3  Thank Seguimarnold
Reviewed 23 March 2014

If you lost something sentimental at this hotel around March 2014, contact me through trip advisor. I will check this site often to see if anyone responded.

PS the place is def a 3 star because of the location. The floors were VERY DANGEROUS. We lined them with damp towels to keep from falling. The hot water took approx 10 minutes to get to our room. Didn't want to waste water, so we took cold showers. From what I understand, the water is heated in the tanks on the roof, which is an excellent way to conserve energy. I think there is plenty of hot water during the day and early evening. If you like a hard bed, this place is perfect for you too. The location is EXCELLENT.

Room Tip: If you are unstable on your feet, call the hotel before booking and see if they've replaced the...
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed overnight to attend the art festival that occurs the Thursday of every month. Unfortunately we arrived off the ferry just before a terrible, unpredicted, and very powerful storm hit Isla Mujeres. The driving rain caused anyoutside marble floor to become as slippery as ice. An older gentleman slipped and apparently broke his leg at the hotel, just past the hotel lobby. Ambulances can take a very long time in Mexico, including Isla Mujeres, and emergency responders often do not have first aid training. This man was in terrible pain in the pouring rain,and his wait for an ambulance (and medical care) was a long one. (The streets completely flooded in many places.) I later learned that many people take a boat back to Cancun for medical care.

The location of the Cabanas is wonderful, right at the Playa Norte. The storm blew right through the Buho restaurant and bar attached to the Cabanas, causing people to run to the most protected side, screaming. We even heard glass breaking. Despite the freak storm that no one expected, we liked our accommodations. I think we had room #2 which was in the building right behind Buhio. While we would have loved an ocean view, we had a balcony that looked out on palm trees. We liked the clean design of the room. There was something simple and romantic about it. Being able to head right out to the beach was great, although we got little time there. The front desk staff was very nice. Just a note that golf art rentals are less expensive in town.

We did check out the breakfast in the morning, a nice break, but we ate a full breakfast at Roosters. The Isla Mujeres omelette and Rooster muffins were favorites. (Bring cash everywhere as the credit card machine didn't work when we were there and can often happen in the Maya Riveria.) We also had two excellent meals at Qubanos Cuban restaurant and had fun stopping by Mango Cafe on the way back from the Punta Sur, one place we had to go. We rented a golf cart near the ferry. (I think the cost was $55.) We would definitely return to the Cabanas and would try for an ocean view. Although the room we had was very nice, too. The bed was comfortable. We were extra careful walking across the lovely marble floors.

We hope to have a longer stay in Isla Mujeres next year. We didn't' get enough time to really enjoy the beach. It was great to be able to walk to the nearby restaurants, too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 15 March 2014

we stayed one week at cabanas maria del mar. location is key.location on beach is main reason we stayed there. hotel modest, friendly, relaxed palmtrees garden,flowers very beauty. we had 3 ,small children plus 7 adults enjoyed easy walk to beach. The restaurant nearby Buhos (I believe),fair to good wifi, none at hotel.loved the balcony with constant breeze. breezes a huge plus, able to hang our wet swimsuits,outside to dry in breeze.One negative is most of our group got multiple small undetermined bug bites on ankles and lower legs;very itchy.we were barefoot in restaurant there and on beach area at cabanas. everyone(10 people) had small red bites skin lower legs, all bites went away after the week, except one person who went to Dr. back in USA for rash on lower legs along with skin irritation and infection due to scratching skin. we decided it was sand fleas . One person thought it was bed bugs. itchy red bug bites only on lower legs. Still with that in mind I definitely would return to cabanas because it was a wonderful experience. We had a wonderful time, & a great memory.Dont look for perfection.

Room Tip: we enjoyed breezes from room 41 balcony. AC is noisy, I found 5 pillow cases stuffed at end of pillo...
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Everything else was below ok. Room was not what you expect for the price we paid. Had a worm on my leg in the bathroom. The water was very slow, you can barely take a shower. No wifi. We paid 30% of the price somewhere else and it was way better!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple