“Great location!”

Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Very clean with an ocean view, balcony where you could sit down and have a nice drink or morning coffee. The included Breakfast consisted of two toasts and coffee/tea, so very poor but that didn't matter when the view from the restaurant was the amazing Playa Norte! There was a funky smell in the toilet, that was the only con.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Mandanis

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I were in the Riviera Maya for 15 days, the last 4 days of our vacation we planned on staying in Islas Mujeres to relax a bit after our wedding in Playa del Carmen. I read multiple reviews for different hotels in Islas and Cabanas Maria Del Mar stood out because of the many positive reviews.
Check-in was easy, the young lady at the desk was very nice.
Room 1 (Castle Section room):
She walked us to our room, which was located across the small street next to a restaurant/bar. We walked into the building and the first thing we notice is the terrible smell of humidity and mold. The room given to us happens to be right next to the restaurant, which is noisy... the smell is horrible, it gave me a headache almost immediately. Besides the smell the room is warn and not comfortable at all... I booked this room because the website says these rooms are newly remodeled! I was not happy so we asked if we could have another room, the young lady did not hesitate and checked what she had available.
Room 2 (Tower Section room):
We looked at this room before we changed it and was a little better than the other. It didn't feel as humid, but it still smelled moldy. I didn't want to continue complaining so we just went out to eat. When we came back I showered, the showers are extremely small and have no curtains so everything around gets wet! The sink, the toilet, and the floor, everything!!!
I had enough!!
I was not happy with this hotel because I was extremely uncomfortable, it felt worse than staying at a Motel 6 at the side of a dirt road. I told my husband I wanted to leave and asked what the penalty would be for canceling, they would charge me 2 nights and refund the other 2 nights. I cancelled and booked a hotel in Cancun for the very next day. I felt better...
ANTS!!!!
Before we could leave to Cancun we still had to stay the night at this hotel, and we had unwelcome visitors: red ants!!!!!!!! my husband tried killing as many as he could, but finally went to the front desk to let them know. After spraying an entire can of Raid, the girl offered to change our room yet again. Here we go....
Room 3 (2 doors down):
An exact replica of the other, same smell and all. We survived the night, packed and had to wait until 10am for the lady who does the refunds on the credit cards.
Check Out:
We asked if they could lower the cancellation fee because of all the issues we had, they said no and proceeded to refund my card for two nights only. In the end they let us know the refund would not go through until 30 days! I said okay, waived the first taxi and went off to Cancun!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Yvette2121
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hi Everyone! Being my first trip to Cancun/Isla Mujeres I was very excited. Read several reviews & booked with confidence. Upon arrival the young lady at the front, Ana had a great attitude. She walked us up to our room (3rd floor) and welcomed us. After dropping off our luggage my bf and I headed out in search of some food. The hotel is at the end of a long deserted & dark street, but has the best beach location anyone could ask for. The crystal clear water is no more than 100 ft away, clean sand & super cute bar with swings. There are many lose street dogs so beware if you are afraid like me. The area nearby for food & drinks is no more than 2 blocks away. Tons of diff food & gift shops. Now after our first night out we arrived back to our hotel to shower and go to bed. The shower had a rusted metal floor cap, no water pressure & I found at least 4-5 long hairs. We tried to sleep and the bed squeaked EVERY SINGLE TURN and when we woke up there were ants (including red ants) all over our countertops. I went to the main office to explain the hair, bathroom, bed and ant dilemma and the young lady at the front had the nerve to ask me how many hairs there were? Ummmmm.... even if it were 1, it's super gross! The lady from the day before stepped out from behind her from the office & gave me a new room. Okay we went to Cancun today, we went to the Mercados & to Walmart to get some beach slippers since we were going to Xcaret. the beach, ate, showered, went to bed. FYI this room flooded everyday at shower time. Next day we went to Xcaret & had a blast. Bely had enough time to get on the ferry to isla from cancun. We made it and I ran into the room bc I had to pee. When I turned the light on a HUGE roach came crawling from behind the toilet, I yelled and ran toward the door with my pants halfway down. My boyfriend killed it and took it outside. Now I was paranoid, grossed out. I started to notice the mildew smell, the dust collected on the walls and corners, by now we had been bit several times by mosquitos, fleas, idk. At first we thought it was just the mosquitos, but I noticed new bites overnight as we slept. This was our last night here, we didn't even want to sleep. I got up and started packing when I notice a baby roach crawling behind the bed board. I was so done with this place, but it was 1am & the first ferry does not cross until 5:30am. But I was dying to get outta there so we packed our stuff and headed for the lobby. A very elderly gentleman checked us out and called a cab. But once the cab took us to the ferry we didn't feel safe. A few creepy people walking the streets at night so we decided to go back and wait in the lobby. We did and no more than 5 min later my bf had 8 new bites on his arm. We literally stood up in the middle of the lobby until 430am. The elderly gentleman came to ask if there was a problem bc the manager was looking at us in the camera and by now I was really annoyed and told him as a matter of fact yes!!!! there are roaches in the rooms that's why I'm standing here! He didn't even apologize. When 430 hit, we strted walking toward the port. Our vacation was ruined! We weren't even leaving until 5pm, but ended up staying at the airport the whole day! Worst vacation ever!!! I don't even want to go back to Cancun!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cubannnnna A
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My family stayed 5 nights there and we were very pleased. The cabanas were large enough for 4 adults but not huge. The beds were very comfortable and I have back problems. The a/c could have worked better , but it was in the mid 90s all week . The grounds were very nice and were kept up very well.The beach area was very clean and not overly crowded. The hotel staff were very helpful , but sometimes you had to wait for them to come out of the office the help you. There was a bottle water [5 gal } despencer outside our room that always provide fresh water to drink. The hotel rates were fair. We will be using them again on future trips.

1  Thank raturtle
Reviewed 25 June 2014

There are some pretty harsh reviews of this little hotel! Don't believe them! We did ask to change rooms from the tower to the cabanas by the pool (construction in our building too noisy!) and that was the best move. We viewed the pool, glimpsed the beach through the flower laden trees and it was paradise! It is a Mexican beach hotel on one of the finest beaches I have seen in the world. The staff is kind and this is important, treat people like you would like to be treated! This works! We had some angry Americans next to us and their experience felt so different from ours. The front desk girls were charming and sweet. We rented a golf cart for the day through the hotel and it was very painless. Breakfast was just fine at Buho's albeit the awful music every morning, 80's love songs. Terrible! All and all our stay here was nothing short of magical. Don't be afraid, it is lovely! Miss it already!

Room Tip: Spend the few extra dollars and get a cabana room!
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I found Cabanas Maria del Mar on Tripadvisor and booked online.
Check in was easy, and we didn't have any trouble with the reservation. The staff was friendly and attentive, and showed us up to our room before 3:00pm (check in time). The outdoor area was all kept up very well, clean pool and lounging areas. The beach location is probably the best on the island! The public entrance to the North beach is right next to the hotel. As many other reviews noted, the beach is the best part of this hotel!
The restaurant next door does have the complimentary breakfast, toast, coffee or tea and OJ.
The food prices there are similar to the rest of the island.
The rooms are modest and a little time-worn. AC works great, there is a mixture of spanish and english tv in the rooms. Hot water and pressure was great. I stayed with my younger sister and we felt safe in and around the hotel.
Overall, totally worth the $65/night, a great place if you're looking to enjoy the central part of the island and the beach!

Room Tip: We stayed in #41. I would request a room on the upper floors (tower rooms), you have your own balcon...
1  Thank Becca K
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Location, Location, Location!! Conveniently located close to town and RIGHT on one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see. The rooms are simply the most basic room you could imagine, but that is ALL you need while visiting Isla. We were in our room to sleep at night, for our child's nap, and to get ready for dinner each night. Its a little older so there are some corks. I'd say a little updating would fix most of it. I did notice mold in the shower and around some outlets, but I felt like the room was clean enough- clean linens, clean floors, clean toilets, ect. We couldn't find any place to wash the sand off before entering the building, so unless you can find a place just expect tons of sand in the room and in your bed! I can not comment on the pool area as we did not even check it out... the beach is just too perfect to even think about a pool! My husband dealt with the hotel staff and he did not seem to have any complaints regarding their behavior. If you are looking for some where to simply sleep at night and get ready for the day or evening I would highly suggest this hotel. If you are looking for something lavish and cozy do not visit Cabanas Maria Del Mar. I would stay here again as we had an amazing time and this was just the kind of place we needed for this trip.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family