“Continues to be wonderful”

Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Darien,Connecticut
“Continues to be wonderful”
Reviewed 14 March 2008

As this was our 7th visit to the Villa Rolandi, you know that we love the place. Having stayed thru out the Yucutan and Mexico at various other 5 star hotels for the last 25 years no other gives you better value,service but more importantly peace and relaxation than the Villa Rolandi. The staff is possibly the best in all of Mexico, they are there to make you happy, let them!

• Liked — comfortable and relaxing
2 Thank tschbel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hebrew first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 13 March 2008

VERY SHORT VERSION
- first slightly disappointed about the room (but I have to admit, I am a perfectionist)
- very good service, someone came straight away to fix after we complained
- upgraded to the honeymoon suit (mentioned the things that I was a bit disappointed about, not in a complain but just give them some feedback)
- very nice waiters and good service
- very good lunch / dinner, breakfast is ok
- very nice area, very quite and relaxing
- would definitely come back

LONG VERSION (even if you don't have time, you can just quickly scroll through and see weather one category might be interesting for you):
WHY THIS PLACE:
Before my boyfriend and I (both mid 20) went to Villa Rolandi, we did a fair bit of research for nice places all around the Caribbean.
We book this place because it sounded the best value for the money spent and all the good reviews promising a fantastic time.

THINGS I WAS DISAPPOINTED ABOUT:
With the reviews in mind we were expecting everything to be perfect. Well the room itself wasn't. But first I want to point out, that everything were just minor flaws most people probably wouldn't have noticed or minded but I am a perfectionist!

Two things were broken:
- one showerhead had some limestone and therefore only working to about 80% (some water jets that came out where more horizontal rather than vertical, a few weren't working at all)
- two water jets in the Jacuzzi weren't working
Both things were looked after and repaired (or replaced in case of the showerhead) straight away after we mentioned it!

Some things were a bit worn-out or not very well looked after:
- The curtains in our room had a small paint stain and some small holes (probably from closing the balcony door while the curtain was hanging out)
- The ceiling in the shower had some dark spots
- The drawers were sometimes difficult to open (think people must have had too heavy thing in there so they were unhinged)
- One paint stain was on the wall, close to the balcony door and a few on the paving tiles around the Jacuzzi (think they paint the bottom of the Jacuzzi regularly but didn't cover the paving tiles).

The latter things we mentioned to the manager. Not to complain, but to give him a feedback and tell him that we had expected just a little bit more than that.
He was great! He just listened, didn't interrupt us or made us feel stupid to mention that to him. He than checked the rooms and upgraded us to the honeymoon suit (first we were in room 201). We never expected that!

From the honeymoon suit we could see our old room and the same day we moved into the new room, they changed the curtains and I saw someone with paint coming from it.

So even if I was a bit disappointed first, I certainly wasn’t long!
Never seen a manager been so professional and never seen everything looked after so fast!
That's at least 5 stars for this!

FOOD
BREAKFAST
The intercontinental breakfast was ok. It consisted of:
- a basket with different kinds of bread (one toast, two rolls, a few small croissants and Danish pastries (think it were about 4-5), one muffin)
- a plate with either French toast (two toasts) or pancakes (two) (changed every other day)
- butter (two times)
- jam (two small glasses)
- small bowl of fruit salad (was neither prepared freshly not canned fruits, probably made once every few days or so)
- two glasses of freshly pressed orange juice
- a thermos bottle of coffee (sometimes yummy, sometimes a bit watery)
- some hot milk for the coffee (sometimes just a little)
- bottle of water

You can also order some extra stuff (like eggs, bacon...) you have to pay for.
Never tried to ask for more butter, jam or milk but I am pretty sure if you request some more in advance there will be no problem.
If you ask, they bring you the newspaper with the breakfast as well. Otherwise you can pick it up at the reception.

We had breakfast once in the restaurant instead for our balcony, wouldn't recommend it. Exactly the same when they bring it to your room, just nicer on the balcony.

LUNCH
Normally you get dinner for free, but if you want to switch it, you can have lunch instead. We went for the free dinner and always paid for the lunch.

We always had it at the pool. They bring it to you on a big tray which is then placed between the beach chairs so if you are two, both can reach everything easily. They have a small menu with different pizzas, salads, sandwiches and some snacks (chicken or fish fingers, some Mexican snacks, fries...).
We loved the guacamole and most of the time ordered some pizza as well (was enough for the two of us).
Nothing extraordinary but a good and tasty lunch!

DINNER
Always great! You have a menu from which you can choose one starter, a main course and afterwards a desert (from a different menu).
They serve a lot of fish, all we tried was great. As a starter I would recommend the tuna carpaccio and proscuitto with melon! But also ask for the soup of the day, I had asparagus and it was great! For the main I went for pasta or gnocchi most of the time and my boyfriend for steak. He was always more than happy with his meat. When I ordered pasta it was nice but I could have done with some more. The gnocchi (especially with the cheese sauce) were great and I always felt full afterwards.
The desserts were also all very good and tasty! we tried a lot of them and I loved the panacotta and also the passion fruit mousse (yummy!!!).

There is nothing bad to say about the dinner! It was always very very nice and we were always full afterwards.

The only thing to mention is, that the dinner is free but you have to pay service for it (which is I think around 15% you would have paid for the dinner). It's not much for the great food you get, but we were a bit surprised when the first bill came. :) Also, drinks are not included. We usually ended up between 30-50$ including drinks.

A must-do is a dinner at the new restaurant they opened. You have to reserve and pay and extra 15$ p/p but you get an exquisite 8 course menu. They change the menu every day, we were lucky and could check out the menu the same day we reserved but if it's busy you might not be able to.
Food was great, interesting combinations but very tasty! And even though I didn't eat two of the starters courses I was very full afterwards! They have two main courses from which you can choose, I had swordfish and my boyfriend pig leg. Both were incredibly good! (Never though I would ever try and eat pig leg but the meat was very soft and filet-like).

DRINKS
We haven't been to the bar, so I can't say anything about the drinks there.
During the day at the pool we ordered different cocktails but switched after a while to Coronas (they bring it in a bucket of ice so it stays cold). The cocktails were nice but nothing special. Tasted good but I think there is just little alcohol in them, so it's really just for the taste.

POOL AND BEACH
Not big but great! :)
Never overcrowded, always quite and relaxing. On the beach I saw a few times two lizards :)

THINGS TO DO
Rent a golfcar from the reception and drive around the island. Easy to do in a day and very nice!
I also can recommend diving organized by the hotel (we were 4 people and a guide, 90$ each for 2 dives including everything).
If you want to swim with dolphins, it is nice but make a quick stroll there first (it's not even 5 minutes from the hotel) and check the availability and also let them explain how big the groups are and what you are actually doing in order to avoid disappointment.

--------

What else is there to say?
It was a great hotel, excellent service and a fantastic holiday!
If I ever come back to this area of Mexico I will definitely come back to Villa Rolandi!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elayoe
philadelphia
Reviewed 10 March 2008

This is the most charming and relaxing resort we have visited in the Caribbean. So much friendlier than anything experienced on the other islands!
Any better proof than the fact that we have already stayed here twice for 4-week periods each in 2006 & 2008? And it got better each time.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed; three choices of pools; and a very clean beach; all within steps of your sliding door.
The hotel's main restaurant offers a fine variety & high quality northern Italian dishes. The recent addition of truly gourmet dishes, elegantly served in a separate area, exceeded any expectations for the location: world class!
While service occasionally can be slow, it is never inattentive, and mistakes/omissions are promptly taken care of with lots of smiles from every single member of the staff.
We have travelled the world. Villa Rolandi is as good as they come!
Cherry & Hans, Philadelphia.

• Liked — location and amenities for relaxing stay
  • Disliked — occasional noisy fellow guests; too much loud talking in and around the swimming pool
5 Thank cheerful12
sanf
Reviewed 23 February 2008

The private yacht over to the island is very nice. The food is good for Northern Italian, but you’re on a small mexican island- you should really take advantage of the fresh local cuisine. The room was clean, the 6-head shower/steam bath was my favorite. The private jacuzzis are on the balconies and filled with fresh water- like a bathtub, hopefully cleaned inbetween each guest. The second night I got in ours the bottom was slimey. We called to have it taken care of the next day but no one came. The large salt water jacuzzi in front was also filled with algea- however, they had drained that our last day for cleaning. The bed was comfortable and there were always lots of towels and bottled water. We weren’t able to use the sailboat because "that employee wasn’t around." It’s just a little more rough around the edges than I had expected from reading the other reviews.

• Liked — Shower/Steambath
  • Disliked — Jacuzzi
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank roseSanf
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2008

We stayed at Villa Rolandi for five nights in February. I had really high expectations, both from the reviews on this site and from the price tag ($500). As background, my husband and I travel a lot for business and pleasure and we regularly stay at very nice hotels that are $500 or more a night. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, but we did think it was overpriced. It wasn’t quite at the level that we expected for the price. I know this is contrary to all the other reviews on this place, but I felt like I had to give a little different perspective. Pros- the rooms are amazing. The welcome from the boat with cold towels and a mimosa was a nice touch. The bathroom is great as others have mentioned. The staff was very nice and made an effort to know your names. The continental breakfast was one of my favorite times of the day. They deliver it to your room each morning whenever you want it. I loved that the hotel was so small and everything seemed much more personal. Wireless internet in the lobby was also good. The turndown service with carmels on your pillows was also a nice touch. Hot tubs on the balcony are great too. Now time for the Cons – Our bags were taken to the wrong room, but the staff was apologetic. We had to wait longer than we should have for our room to be ready. It was clear they were intentionally trying to stall us during check-in and we had to wait even longer after that (it was almost 4pm). The bathroom was missing a part of the door to the toilet, which was kind of weird and it wouldn’t close. The hot tub didn’t work the first time we tried it, electronic safe wasn’t working the first day, and the coffee carafe was broken two of five mornings with breakfast. Staff was sent up pretty quickly, but still, we felt the problems could have been avoided. I was disappointed in the bath products, especially since they were noted on the website as “spa quality.” The conditioner was absolutely awful, and none of the products were replenished during the stay – again, I know it’s a small point, but remember the room is over $500 per night. Probably the biggest thing we were disappointed in was the food. The food is raved about on the website and some guests thought it was great, but we thought it was only mediocre. We are foodies form Chicago and maybe too critical – I won’t go into the specific details, but there were issues with more than half the things we ordered. Things were always way over-salted, the steak was awful (and it’s hard to screw up steak), pasta sauces were bad, the tuna tartare was filled with more fillers and mayonnaise than tuna and looked like it came out of an ice cream scooper, and the lobster ravioli had potential until I started chewing on lobster shell pieces that made it into the ravioli. As usual, the staff was always apologetic and tried to make us happy, but we would have appreciated quality in the first place more. The way the hotel works is that continental breakfast and lunch OR dinner is included. They also have a new “specialty” restaurant that is $20 extra per person. It is much better than the original restaurant but the extra cost sort of put us off. What’s included and what’s not can be confusing to both staff and guests and we think they should either be all-inclusive completely, which would justify the price at $500+ per night OR they should not include anything and reduce the rate. I don’t want sound like a hotel snob, but I use these reviews a lot for our trips and I wanted to make sure I provided all the information I could for potential visitors to Villa Rolandi. We continually felt like it was “almost there” in terms of service and quality. If a few of these issues were fixed, it would be paradise. As it is now, it was a great trip, but a bit overpriced, especially given that it’s Mexico. We stayed on Maui in a Fairmont for $500 per night. It didn’t include any meals, but it was Hawaii and the quality and service of EVERYTHING definitely surpassed Villa Rolandi. The icing on the cake was looking at the final bill and being told that there is a $6.50 daily “maid service” fee. Yes, I know that often places now include a “facility” or “resort” fee but Maid Service? Come on, it was excessive on top of the already exorbitant rate. And I might add that our room often was not made up until 4pm in the afternoon and more often than not, our breakfast dishes were still sitting outside the room at 7pm. Not a big deal, but the comment of the trip was usually, “At this price, we’d expect better.”

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food
10 Thank abbarber
Washington DC
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We stayed at Villa Rolandi the week of February 2nd to February 9th and it was absolutely amazing. About us, we're a married couple in our thirties that work 70 hour weeks (DINKS) and were looking for complete relaxation for a week - at the Villa Rolandi we found it. We also look for "luxurious value" - i.e. good value for luxury. We often stay at Ritz Carlton’s and Four Seasons during off weeks to stay in the nicest places possible for the best value and Villa Rolandi is the perfect example getting great value. Our Deluxe Suite was $500 a night and included two meals (breakfast and dinner). I did a ton of research and comparable island/beach get always were $800-$1200 a night during this same time period.

Here's what we got. The hotel room was absolutely gorgeous with marble floors throughout, a huge balcony with Jacuzzi that looked out directly to the ocean. The sound of the waves on the beach and an incredible sound system throughout the entire room. A shower that is the most amazing we have ever seen, six shower heads with a steam option in addition to the showers. The shower also had the music system and a window that you could see out to the room/ ocean. Breakfasts were always the same with fruit, juice, amazing breads, coffee/tea and either pancakes or french toast. You could order more but that was extra - but it was good. Dinner was very strong for the Caribbean. The local fish (Red Snapper) was the highpoint for all meals. Salmon/tuna and meats were not excellent but that is typical for the Caribbean and Mexico - the preparation was flawless. The most amazing part of the dinners were the pastas - either freshly made or imported from Italy. The pasta (tortellini, angel hair) was equal if not better to the best Italian restaurants in Washington DC. Snacks by the beach were fantastic. The absolute best was tostados with red snapper - imagine fresh fish on mini tortillas with avocado and fresh salsa. Mix it together with guacamole and chips, some coronas and you have a great mid day lunch.

The hotel facility is small but it never felt that way. There are two pools and one is absolutely gorgeous with an infinity pool to the ocean. We are beach people and spent all of our time down at the beach which was great. It is small with about twelve loungers but at the most there were about six people there. Some days we were the only ones. The hotel was full but many people fish during the day and many liked the pool - there is enough space that it never gets too crowded anywhere. Also, there is a salt water Jacuzzi and another waterfall wading area by the beach. It was amazing. The restaurant looks out to Cancun and is set up very nicely - it’s rustically elegant and romantic.

Service is the only area where we had any issue at all. The majority of the service was amazing - Ariel, Miguel, Jesus and Delia take incredible care of their guests. You could not ask for more. The only issues we had was when there was a problem and it needed to be resolved. Unfortunately, we had some small issues three times and each time the way the issue was resolved was not what one would want from a five star hotel. These occurred in a 24 hour period at the beginning of our stay and by the end of the week it didn't matter - it just is worth noting that if there is an issue it’s not always resolved the way one would prefer.
Couple suggestions – bring bug spray, sun tan lotion and whatever other supplies you need as the hotel store had strange hours and not always the what you needed. Rent a golf cart and see the island – its gorgeous and fun. Also, be sure to go into town after five – once the Cancun day trippers leave it will seem like a ghost town in a good way. Our last day we went kayaking and had a blast. We were disappointed we did not do it sooner and just grab the paddles and go – its worth it. Overall, the island offers different things to do and so whether you’re a beach or pool person, or want to explore somewhat you can do it.

Overall, this hotel is truly a gem and we would highly recommend it.

Stayed February 2008
5 Thank DanishZachow
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 February 2008

Villa Rolandi is by far one of the best small hotels that I have visited and by far the best on Isla Mujeres. After booking my travel, I contacted them with my itinerary and they arranged the transportation from Embarcadero Dock in Cancun on their private yacht “Cacoon” to and from the hotel. (I stayed in Cancun prior to my trip to Rolandi and they actually contacted me at my hotel in Cancun to inform us of the pick-up time change at the dock. Very impressive)

Upon arrival, the staff greeted us with mimosas and got us checked-in. The rooms are fantastic! (Jacuzzi tub on the balcony in every room and fantastic shower in room. Request a room on the 3rd floor for a domed ceiling or book one of their new suites.) They will bring you breakfast every morning to your room and discreetly place them in the receiving cabinet by the door. We had breakfast out on our balcony looking at the sunrise every morning. The price is actually quite reasonable considering all you get. Breakfast and lunch or dinner included in your stay, with dinner prices that can easily go up to $150 for two people, I’d say you get a good deal. Rolandi has a fantastic restaurant with excellent food and friendly, attentive waiters. Great carpaccio and ceviche!

Pool is cozy and very clean, like the beach and they also have a salt water pool. We also took their catamaran out for a sail. Rolandi is near the dolphin park so we sailed close to it and saw the dolphins swimming. This is a well-deserved five star hotel with a six star service! We will be back!

• Liked — Our domed celing, shower and balcony
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 181 in Cancun
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,710 reviews

Been to Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun? Share your experiences!