“A distinctive, charming boutique hotel with amazing staff”

Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Chicago, Illinois
“A distinctive, charming boutique hotel with amazing staff”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We recently returned from 10 glorious days at this very special place. The resort truly sparkles from its amenities, but it is the sparkle of the staff that takes it from a special, elegant place, to really achieving the upper echelons of the adult vacation experience. It's got it all ... Friendly guests, plenty of gathering spots, three fun pools (that do not close to swimming at night), food and beverages of the highest quality and comfortable rooms with real character. We paid several visits to the spa, and it was wonderful and elegant, as were the staff. Our fellow travelers were a joy to meet. Definitely an "empty nester" crowd that enjoyed socializing and lots of laughter. We met the new manager, who assured us the spirit of the resort will not change with some spiffing up here and there, as well as an additional restaurant for fusion/sushi, etc. The current Casa Rolandi will remain, which is wonderful as it is a beautiful restaurant, with an exceptional staff, and positively yummy food. As we prefer the adult-only experience, we did express some concern about children now being allowed with the rebranding to Zoetry. He said the resort would accept children as guests, but would not become "kid friendly" with children's programs or a kid-designated pool. We'll definitely return. Rolandi's location on the island is idyllic ... a short ride to downtown and playa norte. Definitely rent a golf cart. Having the ability to pop around and explore really enhanced our enjoyment of the entire island. Very safe. Great people. A wonderful destination that we hope to re-visit for years to come. All of our expectations were exceeded. A last note ... we used the hotel's transportation from the airport. It was seamless. We were met at the airport in a lovely, spotless van with a friendly and safe driver; and transported to Embacadero Lindo where the Cocoon awaited. A lovely private boat ride later, we were met at the dock by the resort's general manager and a welcome cocktail. It was flawless. Same on our (somewhat sadder) departure as we left the island. Would highly recommend.

5 Thank beachchairguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Hebrew first
Meadow Lands, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Flying across the water aboard the Cocoon, floating weightless, roaring, soaring. Dancing around us, the waves are an infinite index of blues, shifting toward green, shifting toward violet. My brain tries to process this heretofore unfelt euphoria of color, this glorious movement forward. It is too much beauty but the surge forward is unrelenting and storybook houses begin to emerge along the horizon and start to grow upward. A moment of clarity says, Isla Mujeres is where we are bound and a happiness settles around me and I just AM in the moment, some blessed fugue of watercolor air and sensation. We slow, we glide, we stop. Suitcases are passed; a suntanned hand takes mine and guides my arm; I step, assisted by kindness onto terra firma and am led gently across a wooden walkway onto macadam onto marble, onto a few stairs leading upward into a hotel lobby unlike any other hotel lobby I have ever known. The ceiling appears to be held down by half moons of stained glass, the floor is enamelled sand; walls are of such insubstantial stuff, I wonder if the whole shebang could not be puffed away with one lusty, well- directed breath.
My eyes find the horizon of blue; the scent of flowers floats across the air. I feel a tug on my arm and a familiar voice asks, “Are you okay?” At last I am aware of the world, of my long longed-for arrival at Villa Rolandi, of my boon companion by my side telling me we have room 211 and we should hasten to it.

What is there to do then but follow her across the enameled sand into a spotless stainless steel and glass enclosure and rise to step onto a pale yellow and white porch with arching doorways, massive terra cotta pots spilling over with crayola-hued plants. “Here we are,” says my friend turning the key and pushing open the door into our haven for half a fortnight. My eyes take in stained glass half moons, floaty sheer curtains trying to muffle the mesmerizing hues of the Caribbean. We gaze, gape-mouthed. “Is this real?” my friend asks for the second time in the last hour. I mumble some uncertainty and begin to explore. “Look at this” says my friend eyeing the bubbling hot tub just outside our window. “No, look at this,” I say waving my arm across the expanse of three pools like Vanna White for a national audience. “And this,” my friend swoons over the yellow hibiscus plant that cascades onto our terrace with its delicate wrought iron scroll work, its welcoming table and chairs. But it is pointless to indulge in such pleasantries and ignore the real star of the show, patiently waiting her due homage. We raise our fluted glasses of perfect Mimosas. “To the sea!” says my friend. “Indeed,” I reply.

Short work is made of the scullery. In less time than it takes to say Isla Mujeres, we have unpacked and hung our glad rags, found niches for toiletries, shed our sodden traveling clothes, made use of every single head of steam and sprinkles in our two-person shower, enveloped ourselves in white terry robes and ordered a bucket of ice and some water. Before we know it, ice and water arrive and with the kind of glee that is generally the province of pre-pubescent girls, we congratulate ourselves on our decision to stay at Villa Rolandi instead of some place closer to the action, some place more easily accessible. “This is Heaven,” we agree as we complete hair and make up rituals, attire ourselves in colorful “first night” garb and report to the dining room.

The restaurant at VR is a lovely study in white linen seeming to float on the Cancun Bay and it would be the setting for every divine breakfast and many, many lunches and dinners. The staff for the dining room make every single minute special from the warm greetings to the “Voila” moment of lifting the lovely silver domes to reveal an artistically arranged plate of yumminess, to the whisking away of extraneous crockery and flatware and the presentation of some panna cotta spiked with berries or simply some steaming cappucino with a Cointreau chaser. Ivan, Miguel, Juan, and Jesus were all especially kind to us, handing out information to our endless stream of questions with good grace and humor and the kind of expertise one expects in an establishment like VR. Whether poolside delivering snacks, drinks or more substantial fare in the enchanting dining room or to our room, all the wait staff at VR are outstanding, simply the best I have encountered anywhere. They , along with Elliud, are the legs of VR

The front desk. We came away convinced there is NOTHING the front desk staff cannot accomplish. Liliu calmed ever single fear and recharged our Kindle on her own charging device . She helped us with our golf cart and talked us down from our grandmotherly loneliness. Both Emiglio ( apologies!) and Miguel could get a taxi to the front stairs before we knew we wanted one; darling patient Miguel gave us a full primer on Mexican currency and PAINSTAKINGLY went over every single charge on our bill allowing us the luxury of dividing the costs of paying in both American and Mexican currency. We tried VERY hard to lure Miguel away to America to be our son but as he has parents already as well as a job he loves, we were unsuccessful. Emiglio was ever resourceful and he eased the pain of the last day’s parting, giving us a special call and telling us stories about hurricanes. These three individuals along with Hilario in the Cozy Bar are the heart of Villa Rolandi and they did the most to make our stay exemplary, personal and memorable. We will NEVER forget them.

Flashback now to our first night at Villa Rolandi, our sodden clothes including a much beloved long-sleeved linen shirt accordion-pleated into an absolute disaster. As if by Providence, I discovered the pad describing laundry services. “Shall we?” I asked my friend and soon we had several pieces put together for a good sudsing and pressing. A few very short hours later, there was a knock on our door and there stood Aracely holding my linen shirt on a hanger as though it had been freshly born. We could not hide our joy. We deluged her with hugs and Thanks. The laundry services at Villa Rolandi are perfection. This marks the first time I have ever returned from a holiday with a suitcase full of clean, sweet-smelling clothing.

No commentary can be complete without raising the spectre of the future and what it will mean when Villa Rolandi, the very personal dream of a very real person, will be brought under the aegis of AM Resorts, the very real corporate dream of what a hotel should be. What will happen to this charming, imaginative structure, sitting atop the beautiful sea? I have tried to imagine the shift and I have been mentally crossing my fingers all morning long as our suitcases were placed inside the Cocoon and we roared away from VR and Isla Mujeres churning a wake that sparkled blue and white, carving a passage across the bay with certainty while I felt tears on my face mixing with droplets of the salty sea. Suddenly I knew that as long as Tino and his colleagues are at the wheel of the Cocoon, as long as Elliud is there to greet, as long as there is a Miguel/Liliu/Emiglio/Hilario to manage and placate and amuse, as long as there is an Ivan, a Juan, an Jesus, a Miguel to lift those silver domes and present magic, and an Aracely and company to dazzle us with our whites and keep this splendid and unique hotel as remarkable as it is . . . . .and, last but far from least, as long as the gardeners can coax and carve growing things as they please, then everything will be all right. I echo a thousand reviewers who have said it time and time again: it is the staff that make Rolandi, Rolandi. As my father always used to say, “Anyone who ignores the obvious doesn’t have the brains he was born with.” Bless you all!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank FineMind
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I can't not even begin to explain how magical this hotel is.
It's fabulous. Everything!
We had the most relaxing six day vacation here ever.

From the moment we were picked up by the provided private transfer at the airport until the time we were dropped off at the resort in Cancun we stayed after was just outstanding.

We had room 308. Amazing views right from the bed, even in the shower.

The food was outstanding. The service was amazing. The staff are all wonderful people. We especially appreciated Migel & Francisco at the restaurant. The pool and beach servers. Even the manager of the restaurant was a delightful man after you realize he is all Business!

I'm heartbroken this hotel is changing hands. I was very sure I had found my "place" on this little island in Mexico! How I will ever find anything that compares to how wonderful I found this place I will never know!
Truly a magical experience!
I would return in a heartbeat.
If Zoerty gets more real about their prices, I will!

Thanks again to the fabulous staff that made my stay here that much more amazing!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jleigh81
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Villa's shuttle waited two hrs at the airport while we waited on the remainder of our group to arrive. The private yacht was old but it got us there safe and sound. Once we were there it was the most relaxing vacation that I have ever taken. The hotel's dining was a second to none experience every single time. Jesus was our server and made us feel like royalty. The food was soooooo incredible that we personally tipped each and everyone in the kitchen on our last night there.
I can not wait to go back and do it all over again.

1 Thank VinceandLorra
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I had a great time at Hotel Villa Rolandi. We did have a bit of an issue when we first checked in because we had understood that an upgraded suite insured an upper level room. This was not the case, our room stepped right out onto the pool deck. No privacy at all. After some discussion, we were able to upgrade to the beautiful presidential suite. I can't say enough about this room. It was a two story room with an open roof complete with table, hot tub, and lounge chairs. BEAUTIFUL VIEWS!!

We enjoyed the included breakfast which was more than filling. The beach is small, but that seems to be the norm for most of the hotels on Isla Mujeres. The restaurant was terrific and we especially enjoyed sitting out on the deck right over the ocean. Very romantic. You can rent golf carts at the hotel to make getting around the small island easy.

1 Thank familytravel4444
Modiin, Israel
Reviewed 9 June 2014

we went there for our honeymoon...we spent 10 days in the hotel.
the room itself was spacious with magnificent view.
the hotel maintenance is decent. need some renovation in some parts like the bathroom. the hot-tub was not working and the AC is a little weak. we got our hot-tub fixed after 2 days.
the hotel staff was kind. from the reception trough the restaurant and the pool service to the shuttle services. very friendly and kind.
the hotel has it's own beautiful private beach which was very nice.
the hotel is far from the city so you have to rent a kart or to take a taxi there. we preferred taxi's as the drivers were great and provided us a lot of tips on where to go. don't rent a kart from the hotel. do it in the city, it will be cheaper and the karts there are highly maintained.
for our honeymoon the hotel was exactly what we were looking for, if we will deferentially consider returning there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OfirSahar
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Spent 4 great nights. Great view, small beach area but well kept, clean, and private. Attentive staff 2 great pools, another large warm saltwater jacuzzi/hot tub that was actually the size of a small pool. Room was clean with powerful AC. Bathroom was nice, clean with a steam shower that was a nice touch. QUality of food in the on-premise restaurant was top notch. Hotel and the Rolandi private "yacht" (in reality it's an aging mid sized boat, but it was clean and in great running condition) were both starting to show age but who amongst us doesnt at some point in time? But for a very nice, relaxing time on a quiet part of the Island, you can't go wrong here. I also noticed that unlike some places, every staff member made it their business to stop whatever they were doing/cleaning when you passed them to look you in the eye, smile, and greet you. This training/touch truly adds to the class of a resort/hotel. I left off one star because of two things: aging of the hotel and the "yacht" (paint, caulk, cracks in concrete..all minor but compared to a brand new place, I have to draw the differentiation in my rating) and no music at all poolside. Yes, I do realize that this is a Hotel designed for a more mature, upscale crowd and not for spring breakers, but it's always relaxing and adds to the ambiance to at least have low level smooth jazz type music playing poolside. Other than that, highly recommend the Rolandi.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#1 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Great Parnassus Family Resort

Been to Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun? Share your experiences!