“EXACTLY HOW I EXPECT THE PERFECT WEEKEND TO BE!!”

Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We are residents of Playa del Carmen and with only a weekend to escape we chose Hotel Villa Rolandi. We were NOT DISAPPOINTED. What an amazing, perfect, incredible weekend. From the private yacht ride over to Isla Mujeres compliments of the hotel to the beautiful charming infinity pool to the luxury suite, Villas Rolandi does not disappoint. It is everything that I expect from a pricey boutique hotel. This is one that we will be returning to. Oh, and the food is yummy yummy yummy. I heard that the hotel will close for 1 month and reopen with an all-inclusive concept. We were very fortunate to be offered all-inclusive for an additional $55 dollars per person per day to test out the concept when we checked in so needless to say, it was ceviche and champagne all weekend long!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cindy B

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Villa Rolando is an excellent place to stay on Isla Mujeres. We have no complaints about the hotel itself. But, because it is a small hotel, you really can't get away from other guests if you need to. There was a wedding party at the hotel for a few of the days of our stay and they were pretty loud and took up residence in the pool and on many of the chairs. There were also several children who really did not look 13 (the minimum age for this adults-only resort). One little boy proceeded to climb on the edge of the pool, pull coconuts from the tree and then throw them into the water. The staff didn't seem to care. If you are looking for a romantic get-away, keep in mind that the restaurant is not adults only like the resort and there were kids there - lots of kids - everyday. The restaurant is also right next to the pool. On our first visit after we arrived (about 3 in the afternoon) there were 4 or 5 local families dining together and the parents all sat at one end of a long table and the children (most under 5) stay at the other end with a variety of nannies and they were not quiet. One day at the pool, someone dining at the restaurant had her nanny take the baby out to a pool lounge chair to change his/her diaper. Ewwww! Not what I want to see or sit on! Overall, the hotel is very nice, the staff was great, and the sunsets were beautiful but if you are looking for quiet, this may not be the best choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TheFiveTs
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

After 2 unpleasant nights at Casa de Suenos we got very lucky that Villa Rolandi had a room. With 35 rooms, this was the quiet paradise we were looking for. The staff was wonderful, the restaurant jets out over the water and is next to a peaceful beach. If you send them your trip details they will pick you up in Cancun on their yacht. Stay on the top floor for the best views.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jules1229Seattle
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Villa Rolandi is a beautifully maintained hotel . The rooms are spacious , beds comfortable and showers are therapeutic. We also had some treatments in the spa that were fantastic and relaxing. The staff always had a smile. Delia the reservation manager was very nice and accommodating. Lastly the restaurant offered a variety of items from fish to pasta and it was very delicious. W loved touring the island beaches on the golf cart that the hotel offered for rent as well. We will definitely be back..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I visited here last year with my boyfriend. Since I use trip advisor religiously I felt it only fair to write a review, especially since this hotel was very much deserving of one. Honestly, this hotel made you feel like VIP. Everything was just right (clean, romantic, helpful, impeccable views, private beach, dinner literally on the beach - that was the highlight and the spa was lovely). Thank you for the making our time in mexico that much more memorable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariaRebecca
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We recently returned from 10 glorious days at this very special place. The resort truly sparkles from its amenities, but it is the sparkle of the staff that takes it from a special, elegant place, to really achieving the upper echelons of the adult vacation experience. It's got it all ... Friendly guests, plenty of gathering spots, three fun pools (that do not close to swimming at night), food and beverages of the highest quality and comfortable rooms with real character. We paid several visits to the spa, and it was wonderful and elegant, as were the staff. Our fellow travelers were a joy to meet. Definitely an "empty nester" crowd that enjoyed socializing and lots of laughter. We met the new manager, who assured us the spirit of the resort will not change with some spiffing up here and there, as well as an additional restaurant for fusion/sushi, etc. The current Casa Rolandi will remain, which is wonderful as it is a beautiful restaurant, with an exceptional staff, and positively yummy food. As we prefer the adult-only experience, we did express some concern about children now being allowed with the rebranding to Zoetry. He said the resort would accept children as guests, but would not become "kid friendly" with children's programs or a kid-designated pool. We'll definitely return. Rolandi's location on the island is idyllic ... a short ride to downtown and playa norte. Definitely rent a golf cart. Having the ability to pop around and explore really enhanced our enjoyment of the entire island. Very safe. Great people. A wonderful destination that we hope to re-visit for years to come. All of our expectations were exceeded. A last note ... we used the hotel's transportation from the airport. It was seamless. We were met at the airport in a lovely, spotless van with a friendly and safe driver; and transported to Embacadero Lindo where the Cocoon awaited. A lovely private boat ride later, we were met at the dock by the resort's general manager and a welcome cocktail. It was flawless. Same on our (somewhat sadder) departure as we left the island. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank beachchairguy
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Flying across the water aboard the Cocoon, floating weightless, roaring, soaring. Dancing around us, the waves are an infinite index of blues, shifting toward green, shifting toward violet. My brain tries to process this heretofore unfelt euphoria of color, this glorious movement forward. It is too much beauty but the surge forward is unrelenting and storybook houses begin to emerge along the horizon and start to grow upward. A moment of clarity says, Isla Mujeres is where we are bound and a happiness settles around me and I just AM in the moment, some blessed fugue of watercolor air and sensation. We slow, we glide, we stop. Suitcases are passed; a suntanned hand takes mine and guides my arm; I step, assisted by kindness onto terra firma and am led gently across a wooden walkway onto macadam onto marble, onto a few stairs leading upward into a hotel lobby unlike any other hotel lobby I have ever known. The ceiling appears to be held down by half moons of stained glass, the floor is enamelled sand; walls are of such insubstantial stuff, I wonder if the whole shebang could not be puffed away with one lusty, well- directed breath.
My eyes find the horizon of blue; the scent of flowers floats across the air. I feel a tug on my arm and a familiar voice asks, “Are you okay?” At last I am aware of the world, of my long longed-for arrival at Villa Rolandi, of my boon companion by my side telling me we have room 211 and we should hasten to it.

What is there to do then but follow her across the enameled sand into a spotless stainless steel and glass enclosure and rise to step onto a pale yellow and white porch with arching doorways, massive terra cotta pots spilling over with crayola-hued plants. “Here we are,” says my friend turning the key and pushing open the door into our haven for half a fortnight. My eyes take in stained glass half moons, floaty sheer curtains trying to muffle the mesmerizing hues of the Caribbean. We gaze, gape-mouthed. “Is this real?” my friend asks for the second time in the last hour. I mumble some uncertainty and begin to explore. “Look at this” says my friend eyeing the bubbling hot tub just outside our window. “No, look at this,” I say waving my arm across the expanse of three pools like Vanna White for a national audience. “And this,” my friend swoons over the yellow hibiscus plant that cascades onto our terrace with its delicate wrought iron scroll work, its welcoming table and chairs. But it is pointless to indulge in such pleasantries and ignore the real star of the show, patiently waiting her due homage. We raise our fluted glasses of perfect Mimosas. “To the sea!” says my friend. “Indeed,” I reply.

Short work is made of the scullery. In less time than it takes to say Isla Mujeres, we have unpacked and hung our glad rags, found niches for toiletries, shed our sodden traveling clothes, made use of every single head of steam and sprinkles in our two-person shower, enveloped ourselves in white terry robes and ordered a bucket of ice and some water. Before we know it, ice and water arrive and with the kind of glee that is generally the province of pre-pubescent girls, we congratulate ourselves on our decision to stay at Villa Rolandi instead of some place closer to the action, some place more easily accessible. “This is Heaven,” we agree as we complete hair and make up rituals, attire ourselves in colorful “first night” garb and report to the dining room.

The restaurant at VR is a lovely study in white linen seeming to float on the Cancun Bay and it would be the setting for every divine breakfast and many, many lunches and dinners. The staff for the dining room make every single minute special from the warm greetings to the “Voila” moment of lifting the lovely silver domes to reveal an artistically arranged plate of yumminess, to the whisking away of extraneous crockery and flatware and the presentation of some panna cotta spiked with berries or simply some steaming cappucino with a Cointreau chaser. Ivan, Miguel, Juan, and Jesus were all especially kind to us, handing out information to our endless stream of questions with good grace and humor and the kind of expertise one expects in an establishment like VR. Whether poolside delivering snacks, drinks or more substantial fare in the enchanting dining room or to our room, all the wait staff at VR are outstanding, simply the best I have encountered anywhere. They , along with Elliud, are the legs of VR

The front desk. We came away convinced there is NOTHING the front desk staff cannot accomplish. Liliu calmed ever single fear and recharged our Kindle on her own charging device . She helped us with our golf cart and talked us down from our grandmotherly loneliness. Both Emiglio ( apologies!) and Miguel could get a taxi to the front stairs before we knew we wanted one; darling patient Miguel gave us a full primer on Mexican currency and PAINSTAKINGLY went over every single charge on our bill allowing us the luxury of dividing the costs of paying in both American and Mexican currency. We tried VERY hard to lure Miguel away to America to be our son but as he has parents already as well as a job he loves, we were unsuccessful. Emiglio was ever resourceful and he eased the pain of the last day’s parting, giving us a special call and telling us stories about hurricanes. These three individuals along with Hilario in the Cozy Bar are the heart of Villa Rolandi and they did the most to make our stay exemplary, personal and memorable. We will NEVER forget them.

Flashback now to our first night at Villa Rolandi, our sodden clothes including a much beloved long-sleeved linen shirt accordion-pleated into an absolute disaster. As if by Providence, I discovered the pad describing laundry services. “Shall we?” I asked my friend and soon we had several pieces put together for a good sudsing and pressing. A few very short hours later, there was a knock on our door and there stood Aracely holding my linen shirt on a hanger as though it had been freshly born. We could not hide our joy. We deluged her with hugs and Thanks. The laundry services at Villa Rolandi are perfection. This marks the first time I have ever returned from a holiday with a suitcase full of clean, sweet-smelling clothing.

No commentary can be complete without raising the spectre of the future and what it will mean when Villa Rolandi, the very personal dream of a very real person, will be brought under the aegis of AM Resorts, the very real corporate dream of what a hotel should be. What will happen to this charming, imaginative structure, sitting atop the beautiful sea? I have tried to imagine the shift and I have been mentally crossing my fingers all morning long as our suitcases were placed inside the Cocoon and we roared away from VR and Isla Mujeres churning a wake that sparkled blue and white, carving a passage across the bay with certainty while I felt tears on my face mixing with droplets of the salty sea. Suddenly I knew that as long as Tino and his colleagues are at the wheel of the Cocoon, as long as Elliud is there to greet, as long as there is a Miguel/Liliu/Emiglio/Hilario to manage and placate and amuse, as long as there is an Ivan, a Juan, an Jesus, a Miguel to lift those silver domes and present magic, and an Aracely and company to dazzle us with our whites and keep this splendid and unique hotel as remarkable as it is . . . . .and, last but far from least, as long as the gardeners can coax and carve growing things as they please, then everything will be all right. I echo a thousand reviewers who have said it time and time again: it is the staff that make Rolandi, Rolandi. As my father always used to say, “Anyone who ignores the obvious doesn’t have the brains he was born with.” Bless you all!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends