“Unfortunately the rooms need a makeover and its not really clean” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maria's Kan-kin

Maria's Kan-kin
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Siegburg, Germany
“Unfortunately the rooms need a makeover and its not really clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and me we stayed three nights in a double room at Marias Kan Kin in May 2014. It could be a really nice place, but everything needs to be renovated. The walls in the room were filthy, the lamps next to the bed had stains all over. You do not have hot water in the shower, which is ok when you come from the beach, but if you want to take a shower in the morning its not very pleasant. Also there is not much water coming out anyway, for me with long hair its nearly impossible to have a descent shower. I also think for the price you can expect a hot and working shower. The top part of the bed was really really dirty. We even found hair from other people there. They clean your room every day which I normally think is not nessesary, but I think they only mop the floor and give you new towels. The bed was comfy and the sheets were clean. The place itself with the little beach is kind of cute. Its a nice spot for snorkeling. But unfortunately nearly all sunbeds are broken. There are no covers for the sunbeds so its quite uncomfortable to lie there. The staff was always friendly but not very attentive. When we had breakfast I did not get a plate for example. We only had dinner once and the food was tasty. But the Restaurant closes at eight o' clock in the evening. Thats normally for us the time we have dinner. In my opinion the quality of the place and the price for it just does not match at all. They seem to take a lot more care of the Restaurant. And the rooms we stayed in was pretty run down. It could be a great place...

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gretahh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The location was, from what we saw, the best on the island. The town centre and Playa Norte's pretty built up and touristy whereas we practically had the beautiful beach at Maria's to ourselves. The food is wonderful and the guys really helpful. I thought the place could do with a good deep clean. Having said that, it wasn't dirty (I do have a tendency towards OCD!) and the sheets, floors etc were all perfectly clean, just a bit dusty in places! I'd definitely recommend staying here, particularly in the room with private terrace, definitely has the wow factor!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank kerryadams
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a standard room with a queen bed. The room was a nice size. I really enjoyed the décor - lots of character! Our room was clean. The bed was a bit on the hard side for my personal preference. They provided us with bottled water in the room. Our room had a small fridge. Our shower did not have much shower pressure. I solved this by washing my hair on the beach at the outdoor shower and then finishing my shower in the room. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. Very lush. Maria's is a smaller property with I believe only 9 rooms. The beach was small, clean, and quiet. It felt very private. I really enjoyed the beach. They also had a couple of kayaks available to use. And there is some ok snorkeling off the beach. My husband spent a lot of time trying to fish off their long dock. He didn't have any luck, but enjoyed being able to try. Their margaritas were great! We enjoyed having those on the beach. The on site restaurant is top quality. I would recommend Maria's to anyone looking for a quiet and laid back spot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ginaz
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

My parents, my sister and myself went to Isla Mujueras and stayed at Maria's Kan-Kin for 9 days in February. The hotel is on the southern end of the island away from all of the hustle and bustle, but only a 15 minute golf cart ride to town.
There are 9 rooms, one of which is a honeymoon suite that has a balcony with lounge chairs with the best ocean view for the evening sunsets. It is very quiet, clean and comfortable. They even include a coffee maker, mini fridge and beach towels to use. Our room was cleaned daily by "Lady" a very sweet woman who did a great job! The grounds are kept up by Pelo Meno (spelling?) who kept everything just beautiful.
There are many flowering gardens that add to the beauty and charm Maria's Kan-Kin.
Sebastian and Agostina are a sweet young couple from Argentina who run the restaurant and help run the hotel. Sebastian is the chef at the restaurant and everything that I tried was simply wonderful! I highly recommend the fish as they get it in daily and it was out of this world! Agostina and Sebastian really make this establishment special.
The restaurant has a beautiful view of the ocean, the gardens and the infinity pool.
Luis is the waiter and what a great guy, he really went above and beyond to help our family out! And Angela, is a fantastic bartender who makes a great Margarita.
We also had the pleasure of meeting the owners who were also just as hospitable.
There is a private sandy beach with a long pier where you can swim and snorkel and if you go down the road to Garrafon de Castilla (next door to Garrafon Park) there is great snorkeling for $4 U.S. per person. Renting a golf cart was perfect as we could come and go throughout the day and night as we pleased.
Safety was never an issue, as we always felt safe where ever we were on the island.
I was only home for a week and already booked a return trip in May with my husband.
I can't wait to go back to paradise at Maria's Kan-Kin.

Room Tip: Book the honeymoon suite if possible
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jamericans2009
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I were quite ill with a bronchial thing, and almost cancelled our trip. From Oregon, it took 12 hours and two transfers to get to Cancun, then a shuttle, a ferry and a taxi to Maria's Kan-kin. Totally exhausted, when the taxi turned down a narrow rutted alley at midnight and the building was lit only with a dim bulb, my heart sank. "Oh, my God...what have I gotten us into?"

Luckily, Augustina was waiting for us and hurried to help. When she opened our room, I was so relieved to find just what I wanted....a simple local hotel with easy access to its own beach and pool. The next morning restored our spirits and belief in Trip Advisor's reviews. The garden area was full of flowering plants, breakfast was available in the small open air café, and the pool and beach were immaculate and beautiful.

Augustina, wife of Chef Sebastian, was a volunteer concierge for us, but also helpful were the owners, Therese and her husband, and "Lady" the room maid, the friendly gardener/helper, and the café staff. Everyone bent over backwards to be sure we were comfortable. We rested and healed in the sultry sun and the wonderful ocean. We had dinner there three times, and the reviews of Sebastian's cooking were exactly right....top quality gourmet. We referred other tourists we met there, and they were all enthusiastic.

Renting a golf cart was easy with Augustina's help, and turned out to be a blast. The one highway around the island was like a giant bumper car track full of carts, taxis and scooters. We enjoyed many sites and ate in many places, never to a bad meal. The food is wonderful and the water is drinkable, the people friendly and welcoming. Good spots to eat? First, Maria's, then Jax, Roosters, roadside tacquirias, Mango Café, Oscars, and everywhere we went.

I recommend the turtle sanctuary as a place to enjoy and support. We didn't go to the dolphin place, but others told us you could pay one fee, eat and drink all day, and enjoy the show to boot. We went to Mass at one of the local churches, with a glass view of the sea and beautiful children's voices.

I was surprised by how busy the island is, especially with day trippers from Cancun coming on the ferry, but our end towards the south end was very quiet and peaceful. Our room was humble, but very clean and had everything we wanted. Bed was plenty firm and "Lady" kept us supplied with fresh linens daily, including beach towels. There were two kayaks to use, and the pool was a small refreshing infinity pool with reclining lounges built in.

My husband took along a break-down trout pole, but although he had plenty of bites, the fish bit his line off every time!. This amused our host and the gardener no end. Bill spent a few bucks on new heavier line and gear, to no avail. Our host brought him out a heavier pole, that from it's appearance and the sand in the reel, may have washed ashore at some time, but the same result. Barracuda are a bit tough to catch, but the snorkeling around the dock was great.

The last night we were there, a Cuban group came and played music all dinner time, making a special memory. Plan on a Wednesday night to enjoy it. All in all, we had a great vacation, relaxing and healing and are looking forward to returning to Maria's.

Room Tip: Rooms are garden view for the most part, except for one ocean view. We had a deck out front, chairs...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrammaP
LindaJGimli
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

My husband & I stayed here for 4 nights in Jan. We had not been to Isla Mujeres before and wanted to stay in a smaller, quitere place so we chose Maria's. We did arrive in the evening and it would have been nice to receive a welcome drink. After 8 hours of travelling we just wanted something simple to eat and they did manage to do some soup for us which was really nice. The staff are very friendly here and the meals we did have were very, very good. We booked the "honeymoon room" which was on an upper floor with a patio and lovely view of the ocean. The bed was comfy, but the room could use some new furniture and paint. (Let me say this was not a big deal to us but I wanted to be honest). Unfortunately we were in for 3 days of steady rain but still managed to see the island by renting a golf cart. You would need to have a golf cart here to get anywhere or take taxis, there is another hotel up the road which we did go to for a couple meals as well, but other than that you are fairly remote. Their lovely little beach is sweet and we did enjoy it for an afternoon before all the rain. I think with some upgrades it will be a little gem.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaJGimli
Tatranska Lomnica, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

one of the best vacation ever,, look at the pics at the beach and it is you have fews steps of your room,,,,for me the beach is the most important,,,,it was just amazing,.... what I would like to add was the people,,,, Sebastian, best cook in the Island,,,I ate his fish couple of times.. I was lucky I was in the hotel in time his dad from argentina was visiting him,, and he was a profesional Fisherman,,,so it was interesting to watch how the fishing has to be done in the Carrebean...:) Agostine, Senora Lady and El Senor,,, all great people ready to talk anytime ...... and the "muello".... i was unfortunatly on solo trip...coz this is really a romatic place to wtach the sunset over cancun

the great thing is that the most easternmost point of mexico is just in a walking distance with Temple park...

as well, there s new jamaican bar close to the hotel and they serve very good juices...

I am thinking of some minuses,,,but,, i just had a good time...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo