“Waouw”
Review of Hotel La Joya

Hotel La Joya
Ranked #3 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous location away from the noise and stress of the north beach. Amazing private mini beach. Great staff and great owners. Very clean quite big rooms, a view to die for, great marguaritas, great food. My #1 on the island. Honeymoon material. Eric gave us great advice on places to go arranged everything for us to get taxis and golf cars to tour the island... Not one complaint about anything or anyone! Will come back and recommend!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Perrine F

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hotel La Joya is located just on the southern beach of Isla Mujeres. It is a little far from the center (15 minutes drive) but the taxis are very cheap and the view - is stunning. The hotel is very well kept, romantic and charming, the staff is super nice and helpful, the pool is great, I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Omer N
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The only thing that bested our beautiful, luxurious, quiet ocean view room (room n°7) with live sunsets and direct access to the swimming pool or beaches was the family that recently started managing the hotel.

Senor Erik, his wife and son were all so incredibly welcoming, nice and funny they provided a service we could not have brought with money: the feeling of being home, 20'000 km away from our actual country of origin.

You absolutely have to ask them advice on where to eat/what to visit, not doing so would be a crime!

I would like to add that although I usually hate eating at hotels restaurants (they're often pricy and the quality or quantity of the food is not great) this hotel's restaurant was actually very good.

At first we were afraid of booking this hotel because far from the city center. In reality, it's closer to many of the main attractions (acienda, turtle farm, mayan temple, activity park) and we preferred paying a cab to have dinner in the city at night (the cab fare is incredibly cheap, 78 pesos... like 3 euros/4dollars!) or rent a bike the last two days.
Either way, not renting a vehicle while in the island would be a great loss since the food and best beach is in the city center but all the rest of the fun activities are in the south...

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room! It's worth it!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cdecapitani
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This was perfect for my wife and I. Sunset each day from our room was incredible. The room was round and domed and unique. Clean, with special details, with the added touch of amazing hosts at this B&B. Highly recommend, and the taxi to town is $8 max.

Room Tip: We were in #1, and porch, room and bathroom could not have been nicer. Kitchen privileges for those...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fredvanliew
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at La Joya for 2 nights at the end of August. I would have stayed forever if I could! I researched a lot of hotels but I was most impressed with the reviews for La Joya and booked it the night before I left. It did not dissappoint. I was given a warm welcome from the management. The hotel has such a laid back atmosphere and I almost felt like part of their family (their children are absolutely charming). It is the perfect place for a chilled, relaxing break. My room was spectacular. For the little I paid I was not expecting such a massive room. Big bed, comfortable bathroom, good air conditioning. And my balcony! The view brought tears to my eyes. I had my own hammock and a spectacular view. Breakfast was served on the balcony, such a nice touch. The staff bent over backwards to help me. They helped me book my exursions, called taxis for me, recommended restaurants and cafes, showed me the view from the roof. It was wonderful. Since coming home I have recommended this place to everyone. Next time I stay in a hotel on the island it will definetly be this one. I didn't get the chance to say goodbye when I checked out, but I want to say thank you for everything. You helped make this a holiday I will remember forever.

Room Tip: My king room overlooking the pool was perfect but I don't imagine there is a bad room to choose.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank WorldWanderLust1
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Initially we planned only two nights on Isla Mujeres before our trip through Central America. Because of this hotel we extended our stay on the island to one week ;) I`m so happy we found it. It is a bit far from the centre but it`s a nice short ride if you rent a golf cart. Our room was just next to the pool, which was empty for most of the time. If it`s not cool enough, you have a cozy beach with the most amazing turquoise color of the sea just down the stairs. There are many sea urchins so be careful where you step.
All staff were very attentive and kind. They work hard to please all guests and it shows that they care. We felt very welcome.
Maybe there aren't too many options for dining in the area but you can order your meals in the hotel. For lunch do yourself a favor and order their ceviche mixto. It`s the best I`ve ever had and I`m ceviche freak so I know what I`m talking about. My mouth still waters just thinking of it. I think they should give the cook a raise. He`s a genius.
Thank you for excellent service. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marekr659
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This place is remarkable. It has authentic, cultural rooms as well as modern rooms. The view is fantastic from anywhere on the property. You can relax at the pool, snorkel or kayak in the perfectly clear waters or about a 10 mintue golf cart ride to the city. (I definitely recommend getting a golf cart.) It is the more remote side of the island but still plenty to do and see. There are many restaurants and stores near by as well as other beaches. We have stayed and seen other places on the island. Don't waste your time, this one is by far the best.

Eric and his family are so hospitable and hard working. They made the stay more perfect than we could have ever imagined. We will definitely stay here each and every time we visit.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends