“Best chicken enchiladas”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We had dinner there our 2nd to last night on Isla. The food was good and prices very reasonable. Fredy is a character & we enjoyed meeting him. When he brought out my chicken enchiladas it didn't look anything like I expected, but was the best! I wish I could get it back in the states! Nothing here compares. If we had found this place earlier in the week, I'm sure we would have eaten there more. I'll know where to find it next time!

Reviewed 13 March 2011

First place we ate, and couldn't wait to go back. Chicken nachos & mexican food were awesome.

Reviewed 2 January 2011

All other restaurants we checked at wanted 90-110 pesos (that's about $8.00-10.00) per person to prepare the fish we caught on our charter. We asked Fredy, and he said, sure, no charge, just pay for the side dishes. He charged us about $3.00 each for the side of vegies and baked potato. It was Christmas day and we made sure he got a great tip.

Reviewed 30 November 2010

Didn't get it. We had the baked shrimp and some fish (grouper or mahi mahi). Both dishes were really bland. Both were cooked the same way...layered with onions, spinach, and cilantro. Just didn't work. We would try again, but there are so many options on the island. Fredy was nice with a sarcastic sense of humor and I really wanted to like this place.

You get used to slow service in Mexico on Isla Mujeres especially. Unfortunately this time we had a 3 year old. All the other restaurants realized this and got things out a little quicker than usual which was really appreciated. This place was by far the slowest. I'm not sure if it was the soccer on TV which the whole family (staff) was watching or just typical slow Mexican service. I would probably stay clear if you have kids.

Sorry Fredy.

1  Thank hefele
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I try to go to Fredy's at least once during each Isla visit. This time I made it twice! (or was it three times?) Because of it's location, on the northern end of Hildalgo, it is often overlooked, and that is a pity. It is chef-owned and operated, and the entire staff is Fredy's family. Who could ask for anything more? Fredy is an outstanding Yucatean/Mexican cook, I've only had fantastic meals at there. The cocktails are strong, and the atmosphere, with Fredy's crazy sense of humor, is rollicking!

Is the fish fresh? Well, I've seen it carried in with the gills still moving, by local fisherman! What to eat? Wow, that is a tough question to answer...everything is wonderful. The pork chops are his specialty...but so is the tortilla soup, all the fish dishes, , I love the enchiladas suizas, I can't remember all the foods enjoyed by all of us. Oh...the margaritas will knock your socks off!

Please visit Fredy's when you go to Isla Mujeres. You won't regret it...

1  Thank GailMarie47