“Unexpected Pleasure!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My son stumbled upon this place while our stay on Isla Mujeres. Very small restaurant, but we felt like we had been invited to an old friends for lunch. Love the hospitality and the food! A must see (or shall I say taste) on the island.

1  Thank Heather W

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Rene, our host, practically bent over backwards to make sure we were happy. All of his suggestions were right on the mark. He makes fresh squeezed juices for 15 pesos that are so fabulous (papaya, mango, banana, orange and if he offers you Anona, be sure to try it). Everything he offers has a guarantee that if you don't like it, he will switch it for you. He offered so many things for us to try that we lost count. Such a gracious man! He even paid, out of his own pocket, for some troubadours to serenade us at dinner just because he wanted us to hear "Cielito Lindo"! So far we have tried (1) light and fluffy pancakes with juice and coffee 70 pesos, (2)French toast with coffee and juice 70 pesos that was so thinly sliced and creamy, served with honey or syrup, (3) Yucatan chicken with rice, slaw and toasted bread 70 pesos, (4) fried octopus with rice, slaw and bread 100 pesos, (5) fresh guacamole, (6) chicken Mofungo (big tamale wrapped in banana leaves) 25 pesos. I have never eaten pancakes or French toast with honey but the honey in IM is not as sweet and heavy. Delicious! For a place that feels welcoming with prices that are incredibly inexpensive and authentic food, you really can't go wrong with Rene Y Renee. It is clean, fresh and they appreciate you as a person and customer, which you can't say of most businesses out for a buck. Open 9am to 6pm only and closed Sunday. It doesn't get any better than this! This is Mexico at it's best.

2  Thank OklaTraveller
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This has to be one of the best kept secrets on Isla. Nestled off of Medina the sign with "Snack Bar" is misleading. You will walk out full! It all begins the atmosphere Rene brings to you when you walk in and continues until you walk out. The soup, tamales, guacamole, enchiladas, and flan is absolute the best I have had! Do not judge this small resturant by its size or exterior. This is a must eat place!

1  Thank Brad62301
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I know I'm echoing all the other reviews, but Rene really is the best host ever and the food here is great! I was looking for a late breakfast/early lunch one morning and came across this place and remembered the great reviews I'd read. Rene saw me looking at the menu outside and came and talked to me and I had to go in and try it! I told him I was vegetarian and he asked if I ate cheese, which I do, and they made me the most amazing enchiladas with Oaxaca cheese and fresh salsa and guacamole. So delicious! I wanted to go back the next morning (my last morning on IM) but I had issues with my flight and didn't have enough time to go back before I had to get on the ferry. :(

1  Thank littlepanthers
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very quaint small restaurant ran by the nicest man I may have ever met. He speaks little english and I speak even less spanish but no language is needed for such a charming, caring proud man. Picture in your own mind your version of a doting spanish grandpa and you will be right on. We were actually on the way to catch the ferry to leave when we found Rene & Renee's. It is 2 blocks north of the ferry and 1 block off the main road. it is worth looking for if you want delicious mexican with impeccable service.
Two of us had chicken/rice soup that was out of this world! We all had a taste and wished we could have taken gallons of it home with us to freeze.It even came with basket of fresh bread to dunk in the soup. I had chicken quesadillas that were fresh off the grill oozing with meat, cheese and beans. We also got a basket of chips, a hot green sauce and the best salsa and pico we had all week!
Every time the owner brought food over he proudly exclaimed how good it was and he was so right. I only wish we'd have found it sooner! We had a teenager with us and he brought out candy for him when we were leaving. Rene was soooooo happy we came. Customer service specialist!
If only we would have found it earlier as it's only 3 - 4 blocks from the north end! Prices were so reasonable we left a nice tip for impeccable service and reasonable prices!

2  Thank scar