“WOW!”

Pinguino Restaurant
Ranked #142 of 211 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Huevos Motulenos were DELICIOUS. Fruit and yogurt place was fresh and tasty! The turtle pond was cute. The view was great!

1  Thank Alejandra S
There are newer reviews for Pinguino Restaurant

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We had lunch here and it was great. We had an excellent view of the beach. The service was good as well. They had a nice menu. Good spot for kicking back and relaxing.

1  Thank TitletownDude
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Along with painting and updating and adding plants and more, the menu was just revamped and they are open for dinner again. Reuben has returned and is running the kitchen - he is a great chef and runs a good kitchen. (The service was better too.) We had large portions of very good food and the presentation was excellent. Our service was good, and I really prefer the ambiance here to being in the noise and hussle on Hidalgo. A nice quiet spot with lovely views across from the ocean is more my pace for a good dinner.

We had the guacamole to start - it has always been good there, and it was good last night. Then we had the Azteca Soup which had very good flavor. I had coconut shrimp with a nice twist - guava sauce rather than mango. Now I love mango sauce, but it was fun to try something different. It was a huge tower of shrimp - more than I could eat - served with rice and vegetables. My son had the chicken stuffed with cream cheese served with a chipotle mayo, and our dinner companion had fried chicken (boneless) with mushroom sauce. All were very good and very large portions. We shared chocolate cake. I'm not usually a cake fan, but this was very rich and moist and I enjoyed it. We took food home as there was more than we could eat!

I highly recommend trying Penguinos - even if you had a less than stellar experience in the past, the changes have really made it great. For special occasions you can request to have dinner on the beach or in a little area next to the restaurant and Romy's bar in the sand.

2  Thank Kathryn_in_MN
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We ate there for breakfast several times during our trip last July (2012.) We stayed at Posada del Mar so it was so convenient. The view of the beach (across the street) was wonderful. We were always amazed at how much food we ended up on our table vs. the low cost. Love love loved the fresh squeezed orange juice.
Nothing but good memories for us. We plan on going back this summer.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Attached to a hotel, this (mainly) breakfast offering is directly across the road from the main beach.
That might just be its only saving grace... Oh and maybe the free wifi that the main hotel doesn't tell you about.
Penguino's can be summed up simply as poor value, below average food, and dirty tables. (The latter was stumbled upon when I wiped up some spilt breakfast off the table with a napkin).
The food itself is expensive, not very tasty, and comes in small portions. The waiting staff are not friendly, and slow to respond (except when its time to get their tip).
Overall, I would be lucky to rate this place at all. I will however say, that if it is just a nice view of the beach, and free wifi you are after, you won't find better. Just don't eat anything, or check to see how dirty the tables are...

1  Thank KiwiintheWorld