“sleek place”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Vancouver, Washington
“sleek place”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

sleek place, comfortable, quiet, pretty furnitures and decorations, ac good, shower took awhile to get warm. its abit spendy but well worth it. tiny tv. no view of ocean. few minutes to beach like the majority of locations on the island. would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abducens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
new york
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I had arrived about 7 hours before and had just gone through a hotel nightmare (read last review of mine). This hotel manager agreed to take me as guest and accept the payment from the other hotel. When I saw the room I felt like I had entered paradise from that other place! Rooms were discrete, well appointed, clean, tastefully decorated. There was a nice balcony, sleep was effortless. Bathrooms just fine. Service is good, the reception manager mature and understated. These are people who are well trained and know how to run a hotel.
I read SLN23´s review about the noise. No one hates noise worse than I! I travel with many earplugs and white noise machines. So either I was lucky on this trip or my room was on quiet side. I was not on street side. My window faced other homes and some roofs. There was a dog that barked, but my white noise machine took care of that. (Sometimes it doesn´t work on barking dogs.
I had room 7 just in case you are wondering

Room Tip: I would think the upper rooms are a good bet. My room was under the suites and I never heard anythin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank yuca35
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I loved it and I didn't love it.

I spent two weeks here, after having spent two weeks in a villa near the airport strip. On my check in day, things were a bit crazy as my husband was heading home. (I had decided early on to spend an extra two weeks, and I thought being in town would be a more convenient location.) I was due to check out of the villa at 11:00, but not due to check in at the hotel until 3:00. I communicated with the villa manager's wife (the manager had a heart attack a few days after arrival and was at home resting) and asked her about staying in the villa longer, so I wasn't on the curb or in a restaurant with all my luggage for 4 hours. She agreed.

Communication had also taken place between another person who helps with the villa and the hotel manager, who'd been asked to allow me to check in early. However, I wasn't told this information in time. Anyway, long story short, the manager of the hotel was expecting me earlier than I arrived and he was not happy. His greeting was, "You are late! I had the room ready early for you because I was asked by ___ to have it ready." After apologizing and stating I wasn't made aware of that until only an hour or so before my arrival, he did not warm up. He pushed some papers at me, and said, "Sign here." Then he stated the reservation was for two people. I said, "No, the reservation was only for one." He seemed more upset by this, so I apologized again, stating there must have been a miscommunication with my booking company. I didn't get a welcome, an orientation to the hotel or the room, not even a smile...nada. Very unwelcoming! I felt the behavior was rude and I wanted to leave immediately.

I went to my room, suite 10, on the top floor...which is a total of like 9 flights of stairs. The A/C was on, thankfully, as it was much needed that day--it was near 90 with high humidity! The furnishings and décor in the hotel are beautiful. It's a very, very nice room! Exactly like the pictures online. I opened the drapes and found myself looking at a great, and unexpected, view. I hadn't known the room came with a partial ocean view! I was thrilled about that! I began to think I'd made a great choice after all.

The suite has two rooms and was twice the size of the room my husband and I had just shared for two weeks! The living room, dining area, and kitchen area are in one room and the bedroom and bath make up the second room. It's a very spacious bedroom and the king sized bed was really comfortable. There were two sliding doors (one from each room) that give access to the large balcony. On the balcony, there was a table, benches, and a Jacuzzi. I never used the Jacuzzi, so can't comment on that. I just can't justify all that water usage without feeling guilty. :) I did spend every morning and nearly every evening sitting on the balcony watching the sunset, the sailboats, and the ferries making their crossing to Cancun. Lovely spot.

The kitchen had many items....plates, cups, silverware, coffee pot, hot plate, toaster, etc. If I were to make a suggestion here, it would be to include dish soap for washing dishes, dish towels and sponges, and paper towels. Those are minimum necessities in a kitchenette and usually included in the places we've stayed over the years.

The other two staff members here, the night/weekend clerk at the desk and the maid were very sweet and kind. Although we didn't talk much, simply because my Spanish is very limited and they didn't really speak any English. The room was thoroughly cleaned and they offer this service daily if you like. I asked for services 3 times per week. I asked to hang some clothes that I hand washed on the lines on the roof and was allowed to do this. There is a great opportunity for pictures on the roof.

I can't, in good conscience, not mention the real negative at this hotel. The biggest negative here is all the noise. The noise is awful! From Thursday-Sunday nights, the local bars in the area play loud, pounding music until 3:00 a.m. My first two nights here (Saturday and Sunday), I didn't sleep more than an hour or so. After the music finally stops between 3:00 and 3:30, the rooster next door starts crowing at 4:00 a.m. He continues his song until 6:00. Every day. Another poster here mentioned this rooster, but I had chuckled at that comment. I wasn't chuckling when there..at 4:00 in the morning!! As other posters mentioned, the hallways and stairway here are open, and with the marble flooring, are very, VERY loud. Voices echo and carry quite far. You can hear conversation on the first floor, at the reception area, from the suite on the fourth floor. And when people travel the stairs, it is like they are right outside your door. A few times, I tried to sleep in the afternoon, take a little nap, but the noise from the golf cart rental shop below the hotel also carries tremendously....voices, machinery, etc. That noise begins between 7-8 in the morning. So no siestas here.

Now, to be fair, Monday-Wednesday does not have the music noise all night. Those evenings are much more quiet. The golf cart shop noise ends at 5. If you sleep through anything, like my husband does, the music might not affect you. If you are a light sleeper like me, you won't get any sleep on those nights. On vacation, a good night's sleep is critical for me. With the sun, the heat, and our activities, I'm usually beat.

After the first few nights, I requested a refund to move to another hotel (or back to the villa I stayed in),but the hotel, understandably, wouldn't refund last minute like that. I tried to find earplugs at the Chedraui, but couldn't find any. They offered to move me to the front room in the hotel, but being closer to the street would have only added more noise....street noise and car noise. Plus, I would have lost the view. Room 10 is, most definitely, the best room in the hotel.

They do have internet, and it worked most of the time, although sometimes I could not connect. There was only one spot in the living room where I could get a signal. It didn't work in the bedroom.

Is it the hotel's fault that music plays until 3:00 a.m. or that a rooster lives nearby? Of course not! They can't control those things. But, it still plays into the mix, at least for me. What they say about Location, Location, Location is indeed true.

So, I absolutely loved the room, loved there was a view, loved the large balcony area, liked the kitchenette, and appreciated the location for walking around town. But, I also hated the noise... from too many different sources. Sleep quality in a hotel is too important for me, so I likely wouldn't stay again simply due to the noise.

Room Tip: Room 10, the suite facing the ocean, is the best, in my opinion.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank SLN23
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Hotel Kinich is really clean, front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. GREAT location in town (not too close to bars and restaurants that you hear noise, but a block from the beach and a block from the same restaurants when you need them). Spacious rooms. Reasonable prices.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nancy N
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My brother and I shared a room here for 7 days and it was a very enjoyable experience. As others have noted , if you know some spanish you will probably be able to communicate a little better. Domingo and Edwin are usually at the desk, but occasionally we did see a woman there whose name I did not get. Domingo does not speak a lot of English but Edwin speaks well and will also help you with your spanish should you try. I enjoyed many pleasant conversations with him, while unintentionally destroying the spanish language (grin) but still he was encouraging.
The room we had(number 8, 3rd floor) was spacious, clean, with a refrigerator, microwave , hot water , ac., cable tv with both spanish and english channels. Someone is almost always at the front desk. They also rent golf carts so sometimes they are in the back , but usually not far away. The rooms were cleaned everyday, and the ac was good enough to choose (thru a digital remote) the tempearture you wanted. Pretty nice. You just have to remember to stand in front of the unit and point it like a tv remote.
They make coffee and it is available in the mornings on the second floor. There is also a big jug of water which you can fill up your water bottles for drinking, brushing teeth etc.
The rooftop is cool and you can see all around the island while getting a nice breeze. Our room also had a small balcony overlooking the back. It was scenic in the way you see peoples back yards when you are passing thru a town on a train. Still, it was an interesting perspective so we enjoyed it.
Everything in the North End of the island is pretty much within walking distance. We rented bikes that were so-so because the salt and sand seem to eat them up. And also they didn't seem to be that well maintained. Still, we were able to ride all over the north end of the island and also did two trips around the whole island. Each round trip was maybe 8-10 miles depending on where you stopped. We rode out to the southernmost tip and returned.
The majority of people using bicycles on the island are the people who live there. Mopeds and golf carts seemed to be the choice for most of the tourists. Maybe because golf carts are good if you have 3 or four people who want to travel together.
As also mentioned in another review, reaching this hotel seems to be the most challenging.
I contacted them on their website which I am not certain is always working correctly. I ended up exchanging emails with Edwin who was very helpful explaining to me which rooms were available and at what costs.
If it is allowable on tripadvisor I have included some information below which can be helpful if they can not respond on their website to your requests. However, I would try it first and go from there.

Edwin Novelo
Kinich Hotel.
I contacted him thru this email:
hotelkinichislamujeres@hotmail.com

This is their website- I recommend trying to reserve there first - if no reply -use the email address above.

This is the regular mail address and phone number. At one point I used Skype to call them and got Domingo, who was very nice, but my spanish was too poor to be sure I understood everythiong. He asked me to call back later, and I spoke with Edwin who answered my questions and we exchanged a few emails.

Isla Mujeres Quintana Roo
México, CP.77400
Av. Juárez Mza. 3, # 20
Col. Centro, Entre Matamoros y Abasolo
Tel. + 52 (998) 877-0791
Everyone there was helpful and I would definitely recommend this hotel. I try to go different places each trip, but if I return to Isla Mujeres even for a night or two, I would stay here.

Room Tip: Room 8 was on the back and quiet. Once and a while there is a rooster who will get your attention bu...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank wc_musicman
Colorado
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Kinich again this year. We had great service while there. Although the floors didn't look dirty, our socks and feet got dirty walking on the tile floors. It is located to all North end of Isla Mujeres. It is close to all great restaurants and the Playa Norte and Sunset Grill which is our favorite place to spend our days and sometimes evenings. I did have a problem trying to get in touch with them to make a reservation and if it hadn't been for a friend who owns Sunset Grill who got in touch with the owner we wouldn't have had a reservation. So they do need to do something about the people who do their reservations. They have had staff quitting and leaving so it took awhile to get new personnel in place. I believe that is what happened. But they try hard to help you and do what you need done.

Room Tip: We always try to get the back rooms it is quieter as bars in the front area and can get noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Spent five nights here in March. We booked through Isla Beckons as we could not get a reply from the hotel when we used their web site or sent direct emails in both English and Spanish. We were supposed to arrive on a Thursday and stay for five days but due to poor weather our flight was delayed for 24 hours and the airline allowed us to delay our return by 24 hours as well.
We contacted the Isla Beckons who contacted the hotel and they agreed to shift our reservations one day over and didn’t charge us! That was REALLY nice. Check in was no problem but the lady at the counter only spoke Spanish however with our reservation and some pointing we got it all sorted out. The room was spotlessly clean, safe, microwave, fridge and small balcony. Our room was on the second floor and there is no elevator so if stairs are an issue get a lower floor.
We could hear hall noise when in our room but this never seemed to be a problem as the clientele at this hotel is mature individuals and I am pretty sure if there was noise the staff would rectify it.
The roof top is a nice place to watch sunset, there are some chairs up there and we had wine while watching the sunset.
Housekeeping was there everyday changing the linen and cleaning and they did an A-1 job. Air Conditioning worked wonderfully and I would not get a room with out it there. The location, one block off the pedestrian strip was great and only three blocks from the beach make this a perfect place to stay while on Isla.

Room Tip: No elevator so if stairs are an issue get a room on one of the lower floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple