“Lovely friendly boutique hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina Paraiso

Marina Paraiso
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I went to this hotel for a diving trip and loved it. I was on my own for a few days and with a larger group for the majority of the time. I immediately relaxed when I arrived and it was such a tranquil place away from the bustle of the mainland. The hotel and dive centre had changed management since we booked and on day 1 I looked for Paradise Divers and found it was not there, or rather that there was no dive centre. I had a bit of a shock as I had 10 others joining me a few days later for a dive trip that had been arranged a year or so ago through Dick and Morna who had been to the UK to promote Marina Paraiso and Paradise Divers. However, Brad, the Manager quickly explained that Paradise Divers was still in operation but that the dive centre had been replaced by a bakery but was being relocated on the premises . The diving was being run by Ivan who had been an instructor and dive guide there for a while and was temporarily operating from a lock up on the premises. The diving was from a small boat (Caribbean style) taking up to six divers and for three days I dove with others at the hotel. We had some fantastic dives including the thrill of a fast drift dive surrounded by mating turtles, which is a once a year occurrence. The dives tended to be fairly short at around 35 to 45 minutes which for those used to one hour dives might be on the short side, however, four dives a day are on offer. Currently there is only one instructor/dive guide, which seems light and would mean that if there was a course certified divers would not be able to dive, but it s low season and when our group arrived there was a larger boat ready and waiting with two more dive guides.

As well as enjoying the diving I loved my comfortable room which was simple, but clean and with plenty of storage and a lovely balcony with a view of the pool and marina. The aircon was effective and quiet so it was extremely comfortable.

The palapa bar was lovely and Jacky makes an excellent Margarita - I had to try several to ensure that the quality was consistent:-) I spent many evenings around the bar meeting new and interesting people. For the first few days I was the only British guest amongst predominantly American and Canadian clientele so I think I was something of a novelty and will probably be known as the chatty English woman who talked to everyone!

Barlitos was lovely but portion sizes geared to the American clientele rather than the European market so I had to choose carefully and make sure I did not order too much. Breads and Bagels are home made and quite delicious, and part way through our trip we discovered cinnamon rolls "to go" which made a wonderful treat after the first dive of the morning. Unfortunately when my group arrived we were unable to enjoy our breakfasts as much as the ones I had had earlier on my trip, but this was due to timing with the restaurant opening at around 7.30 and the dives at 8 - we overwhelmed the staff by being there ready and waiting by 7.15 desperate to be fed. The kitchen staff struggled with so many of us and there were more than a few bagels wrapped in paper towels and taken onto the dive boat.

The managers, Brad andTiffany, work incredibly hard managing the hotel, which is a new venture for them, and running Barlitos which they have relocated from Hidalgo. Their two children were a source of great entertainment to us and loved to chat to guests. It is apparent that they simply love the place ....although what child would not enjoy that great pool and gardens? At times over the weekend the pool seemed to be packed with day visitors which is not so great for hotel guests as there are only a few loungers, but this will be resolved shortly with the opening of a new pool which I believe is for Barlito and day pass guests.

All in all, I think I've found my perfect Mexican island and hotel and will certainly be back once the dive centre is up and running again and I can be confident of getting to dive every day. I would recommend to divers, but get in touch before you go to ensure that your needs can be accommodated - it may be difficult with one person who is trying to teach and guide. Also Ivan did say that there has to be a minimum of two divers so if you're travelling solo you'd probably want to check that there are other divers booked in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mauritiusfan2
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, General Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
We loved having you stay with us. It was fun that you arrived a few days early.

As Brad mentioned the dive shop was going to be where the bakery is now. Once we complete the construction on the street, it will be three times the size, with a bathroom & air conditioning!!! They had always operated it out of a bodega (storage room). It will be nice to have a classroom & retail. Paradise Divers has only ever had one Dive Master Instructor full time but has always hired others as needed. Our boat is a small Caribbean dive boat & with the past dive business there was no need for a bigger boat. Ivan is quickly proving that wrong. Since he began April 19th, he has had 434 dives. Paradise Divers didn't do that many in year before Ivan came on full-time! If he keeps this up, we will definitely have to get a bigger boat!

We are so glad you enjoyed your Barlito yums! Our portions are not European! We never worry about someone leaving hungry. When Barlito took over at the end of February, we changed our hours to 7:30am from 8am so divers & early risers could get a bite to eat before 8am. We do have people hoping we will open earlier but because we bake all our baked goods (bagels, breads, cinnamon rolls), our bakers start at 3am. There is no way they will come in at 2am! I can't blame them!!

You did luck out with weather & you were sporting quite the suntan when you headed off to Playa Del Carmen! Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review on TripAdvisor, We appreciate your feedback! We really enjoyed getting to know you & hope to have you back again soon!

Tiffany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I loved the Marina Paraiso. Room was very clean, had mini fridge, safe, cable tv, comfortable beds. Hot water takes a very long time to come through. I stayed in a pool view room and had the pleasure of diving with Ivan right off the marina only steps away. The food at Barlito's was delicious and every plate was big enough for two. The staff were all a pleasure to interact with and very accommodating. I did not try the pool (a little too cold for my taste, but the weather had a lot to do with it). The palapa bar was a nice hang out spot with wifi. If you want to slow down and de-stress, this is the place. All you need is on site and the centre is a 15 minute walk or 30 pesos for a taxi. I really cannot say one bad thing about this place. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ejr427
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, General Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Marina Paraiso Hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your room, your food at Barlito & your dives with Ivan. We do apologize for the weather! It didn't seem to interrupt your diving but we wish you had had more sunshine & less rain. Fortunately, you live in the sunshine state! We do hope to have you back for another visit & some more diving!

Alice, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for a week in an ocean view room #5. We had the best view, very comfortable bed, plenty of room for luggage, free bottled water daily and the list could go on and on. Our room was cleaned daily and the housekeeping staff always left a surprise for us. Great TV, cold AC, lots of hot water..tastefully decorated. Top it off with Barlito's just a few steps away and you have a perfect vacation. Thank you Giovani, Alex, Martin, Nemo, Tiffany, Brad, Barlo & Lior for making our time on Isla spectacular. We can't wait to come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jennybug302001
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, General Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you so much for writing a review for Marina Paraiso. We loved having you as guests. You both brought some sunshine to an otherwise rainy week with your smiles & happiness to be on the Island! Our Marina Paraiso family looks forward to your next visit!!!

Cumberland, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Best mistake I've ever made. Being a delivery captain your plans change often. I had no intention of making a stop in Isla Mujeres but found this little gem that made it a pleasant surprise. More then reasonable dock fees considering the facility is beautiful, well maintained, and very we'll staffed. Chepo the Dockmaster is useful, knowledgeable, and honest ( a commodity ). The restaurant is great, try the grouper roll. The bartender Martine is entertaining and capable. Brad and his staff are new I'm told but they seem to have the recipe for a successful oasis.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank St_Christopher14
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, General Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review for Marina Paraiso! Your review made me smile. Brad is a licensed sport fish captain & I remember the days of deliveries & crossings. They don't always go as planned. I too remember being "stuck" places & really enjoying them. We are very happy that your unexpected trip to Isla & your stay at Marina Paraiso were so enjoyable. We thank you for your kind compliments about our facility & our Marina Paraiso Team. We do hope your travels will bring you back for another visit!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at the Marina last month, just as Brad and Tiffany were completing the finishing touches on relocating Barlito to the grounds. We were there with friends and between us had the opportunity to view and stay in all of the rooms and they were all very nice and clean with local accoutrements that we appreciated. All of the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and we met incredible and interesting people just by hanging out at the bar for awhile. That is also where we chose to enjoy our morning coffees. As I write about it, I miss it so much.

We stayed in a King room and while billed as an ocean view - the best view of the ocean was through the bathroom window. This bothered us not. Our balcony faced the marina, was very private and a lovely place to lounge and seek shade when needed. Another friend was in the suite with the kitchenette which was similar to our room, but included a futon - lounging area and kitchenette. This would make an awesome little apartment! Another friend was in the garden room, in a rather odd location on the street side of the hotel. VERY private, with his own little garden area in front. Smallest room, but really cute.

There is a good size pool which we enjoyed and the breakfasts were great. They bake their bagels on site, and if you get the panini (which is on a multi grain bread baked there, not panini bread - still quite good) I suggest splitting it with a friend, it is giant. Thanks to everyone there for such an awesome to place to be for the week. We can't wait to come back and see you guys again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shannon M
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
We loved having you at Marina Paraiso! Thank you for saying you loved being with us in such a nice review for TripAdvisor! We do apologize for the rain on your special Irish holiday but we were glad to have some Irish in the house for St. Patty's Day! If you come back the same time next year, you bring the lucky charms & we will have some green beer to celebrate at the palapa bar! We look forward to your next visit!

Guatemala City, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We are cruisers and visited Marina Paraiso before the change of management. We loved the venue, the cool bar and the delicious menu. It has changed, some might say for the better but not in my opinion. Before it was relaxed and the menu with local food was good. Now, it is obviously a much tighter run ship and with a very American flavour. I have no objection to American things but we are in Mexico! Now, everything is under scrutiny and there are rules for visiting boaters and their dingies. None of the changes were made clear to the staff or the guests so you can end falling foul of the rules without being aware of it. I may be imagining it, but no one seems as relaxed as before. Shame, because the place itself is lovely with a great pool. The menu largely consists of calorie intense cheese laden food which contrasts sadly with the excellent Mexican food from before. Many people will love the new regime but we won't be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank blackthornwinter
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, General Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings about Marina Paraiso & our new management. Marina Paraiso has always had rules but you are right they were not followed or enforced until the new management took over. Marina Paraiso is a hotel & marina with a dive shop, it is a private resort. There are no restrictions for our guests of either the marina or hotel other than some reasonable rules like no glass by the pool, we ask that you keep your dog on a leash & clean up after it, no swimming after 9pm, no smoking in the rooms, if you want to bring your own food or drink you are asked to do so at the boaters picnic area or your room. These really just ensure a nice environment for our guests.

Now if you are not staying at the hotel & you are anchored out in the Bay, you are correct, we do have rules for people that are not guests of Marina Paraiso that we are now enforcing. It just doesn't seem fair that our guests can't sit in the guest lounge or use the showers because non-guests are using them. Marina Paraiso is not a public dock or landing for people to go into town, shower or use the internet. We are open to people paying to dock at the dingy dock up to three hours &/or eating or drinking here. In the last week, we have had a dinghy from an anchored boat chain their dinghy to our dock for an entire day. Making it impossible for our clients to dock to come eat & drink. I think it is very reasonable as managers to think that this is not good for our business & paying clients. So yes, we are enforcing rules for visiting boaters & their dinghies. Our priorities are to our paying marina, hotel & dive shop guests.

Barlito is our new restaurant at Marina Paraiso Hotel. We are thrilled to have the number one restaurant on TA on Isla Mujeres for over two years serving breakfast, lunch & dinner 7 days a week. We are sorry you missed out on all our salad options on the menu. Barlito has become quite known for their healthy options & homemade baked goods made fresh daily with no preservatives. We have some more hearty options like paninis, lasagna & meatloaf all made with the freshest Mexican ingredients with an American influence. Our menu is still developing as we train the existing staff on our recipes & menu items. Right now, we do have loaded nachos made with fresh chips & wonderful chicken & vegetable fajitas and we will be introducing more Mexican classics & seafood. We only opened Barlito at Marina Paraiso Hotel on February 25th, it has been less than a month. We have been very happy with our progress & will continue to serve high quality food & service to our clients.

We do appreciate your honesty & respect your decision to go elsewhere. We know that Marina Paraiso Hotel may not be the destination for everyone but we will continue to strive for our goals of top notch customer service, consistency & high level of quality care for our clients.

Tiffany Wareing
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Small place (12 rooms?), we had a 'pool view' room, which meant ground floor room with a patio door that opened out onto the pool. The outdoor restaurant area was next to the pool and the bar was at the end of the pool. Beyond the pool was the dock for the dive centre (which is what I was there for) - idyllic!
If you're there to dive then this place is excellent (and so are Paradise Divers), if not, the pool is nice but the beaches are a bit of a hike.
Rooms were clean, air conditioning worked and was pretty quiet, bar was very convenient and friendly, staff also. We had a great week there!
Oh - I see one reviewer whinged about the WiFi. Yes, it only works at the bar - so go have a beer to check your email and stop moaning....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank fishtrousers
Tiffany-WolrabRoil, General Manager at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review for Marina Paraiso Hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are located just out of town just a little over a mile from North Beach. As you mentioned, our wifi is only available at the bar, restaurant, guest lounge & pool. Some people do use it off their balconies. We have been working with our local provider to have it in all the rooms & have been impatiently waiting for quite some time. Island time might be fun when you are on vacation but can be a challenge for businesses! We thank you again for your kind review & look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Tiffany Wareing