“great vacation home”
Review of Casa Roca Caribe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Casa Roca Caribe
Ranked #8 of 37 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“great vacation home”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Thank you Jimbo for the use of your vacation home and sharing all of your great advice on where to go and what to do!! We had an absolute blast while on the island. We loved the house as it had everything we needed...plus and awesome patio/pool with the best view. I could have sat on the patio all day looking at the Carribean ocean. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definately be returning soon!!
thanks again!!
Lisa and David

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 October 2012

First of all Jimbo thank you for sharing your home! You are a great host and I appreciated your help when needed. Thanks for the lift to the Ferry and making the transition from the "busy life" to Island time easy and ENCOURAGING it. I choose to stay away from the big Hotels and while I understand that is not for everyone, it is for me. So...Casa Roca Caribe was a perfect fit. Isla Mujure is unique if you want to experience the people and culture. The beauty of the island is pure magic. I will long remember the view of sunrise from the deck and sparkling water from the full moon -stamped in my memory. Stayed on the first floor and loved it. Walking distance to Mango Cafe was awesome! We had so much fun there and best fish tacos, I have ever eaten. After a long day I always felt like I was returning home and I found that to be comforting. I have traveled quite a bit and have many good memories. This is one- I would like to repeat and I do not say that often. To anyone who is open minded and not "suffering" cookie cutter thinking- visit Casa Roca Caribe.

Room Tip: Each apartment has it's advantages, I liked having a pool and enjoyed view from there -it was th...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank carol
Dublin, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We came down for a few days in late August. It was much more relaxing than I had anticipated because I was concerned about the culture shock. How glad am I that we stayed at Jimbo and Karen's and not some random hotel! Jimbo was such a wonderful host. We rented the lower level while Jimbo stayed in the upper apartment--he was always there when we needed him for advice and suggestions. He showed us the map in the living room and gave us tips on where to go for meals, where to park, which beaches were good for which activities, how much the cabs should cost (some cabbies will up the price for us gringo tourists), as well as talking about Mexican culture and the friends he's met on the island. So lovely! Everyone we met those days were so kind, and were very helpful when I tried to use my college Spanish. Some people even tried to teach me Mayan!

In our lower apartment, we had breakfast on the patio everyday with the waves and beach right there to watch the sunrise. The cross breeze was wonderful and we never had to use the air conditioner. That was crazy awesome! : ) We were so comfortable. The kitchen was a good size with supplies and those huge bottled water jugs that Jimbo stocked fresh for us--we did not nearly go through it. A short walk from the house...literally, a minute, is the Mango Cafe (DELISH) and a convenience store that I believe was called Ronco's where we got some pasta and ice cream for dinner one night and some cereal and milk for breakfast, though most meals we ate out. Significantly cheaper than the States and the food just made me want to melt into my seat.... Mango Cafe, Compadres, and Lola Valentina.

There is a ladder to the side of the property to access the beach below. I strongly recommend going down at least once! The waves were a little high while we were there because of Isaac's rotation in the North, but I'd say you could certainly swim there on calmer days...even snorkel! The beach itself is gorgeous because there are conch shells all over the place and wave weathered stones with little snails all over them. When you come back up from the beach, there is an outside shower on the patio to rinse off sand.

We had fresh towels delivered to us during our stay and a bucket of Dos Equis and Sol awaiting our arrival. The maid came through once, and Jimbo made sure the pool was running smoothly for us. How fun to come home from the beach and just be able to hop right into the pool overlooking the ocean.

I specifically went to Isla to swim with the whale sharks. Because of Isaac's choppiness, the tours were canceled for several days in a row. The day we went out, our tour company ( the AMAZING "On Isla Mujeres" by Jorge de la O and Dianne) had simply postponed our departure to wait out the weather, whereas the other companies flat out canceled. So we still got out on the water for a day, and saw dolphins, sword fish, and sea turtles. No sharks...but we went toward the end of the season, we were the only boat out there looking for them, and they very well may have dove below the surface because of the waves. "On Isla Mujeres" came recommended by Jimbo, of course, and he was right on. The whole crew...Jorge, Dianne, Luis, and Mario were superbly helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. We caught a fish that they prepared for us on the boat with lemon juice and shrimp and onions and something salsa-y. Right from the sea! So neat. Then they took us snorkeling at a reef with our guide Mario and I saw some amazing fish.

More props to our host of Casa Roca Caribe! He stayed in contact with our tour company during the first two days while we waited to see if we were going to be able to go or not, and took that pressure off of us. :)

In the end, I would not have had the experience that I did had I not stayed at Casa Roca Caribe. Our host was fantastic. We felt at ease and cared for and were given the knowhow to navigate the island and meet the locals and explore the Mexican culture and the Caribbean scenery. So lovely!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine S
Denton, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Casa Roca Caribe was the place I had been looking for on previous trips to Isla. I met Jimbo last year in August, and got the tour of the place. I instantly knew I wanted to stay there during my next trip. Actually, I didn't want to leave at all once I was there, but we already had a hotel on Playa Norte. Jimbo was so nice, and showed us parts of Isla I had never seen, or even knew existed! He soon became a GREAT friend when I had a "lost traveling companion emergency" on our 2nd day there. :) No worries...we found her safe and sound, and a little hungover. My sister, brother-in-law, and I stayed for 5 days last week, and although 5 days is not NEAR long enough to stay on Isla, we had a GREAT time. There was nothing about the house that I could say needed improvement. We even got a bonus....the crabs seeking the moon via our shower drain (ok, just one small crab...but gosh he was cute! ). The iguanas in the morning that LOVE cheese...or anything you feed them, but especially cheese. The pool...OHHHH the pool. We pretty much lived in it while at the house. The beds are very comfortable, and we only needed the AC during the hottest parts of the day, as there is a niceeee breeze off the Caribbean. Especially while lying in the hammock on the back patio at night...not to mention the sound of the waves. The fully stocked kitchen was really nice for breakfast and coffe in the mornings, while we soaked in the sunrise from the patio. Words do it no justice. We chose to rent a golfcart for the week, but next time I think I will just use the taxi. They come by every 5 minutes or so. The nieghbors were so friendly...always waving and speaking as we walked the neighborhood, or took off on the cart. This is the perfect location and a beautiful house/apt to stay in. Can't wait to book next trip! :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank heynurse1999
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Staying in el Centro close to the North Beach is amazing, but it can also get loud and crowded. If you are feeling like you need to step back and feel like you are in Mexico and enjoy the authentic feel of the country, you should try Casa Roca Caribe. We have stayed all over the island and enjoy trying new places but this is one place where we will definitely stay again and probably again! Jimbo and Karen do so much to make your stay comfortable and they are so helpful. Walk down the hill to Monchis or Mango Cafe and it just doesn't get any better than that! The perfect send off (if you just have to leave the island!) is Jimbo driving you to the ferry and asking to please let him know when you are safely home. Feel free to e-mail if you have questions.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sabetha, Kansas
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We loved our recent visit to Casa Roca Caribe. Jimbo, the owner, made us feel welcome at his property. He was able to provide us with valuable information as this was our first time on the island. Jimbo made himself available in case we needed anything. The property was in good condition and we loved the pool and hot tub. The view is spectacular from the back patio. We thoroughly enjoyed going down to the beach directly behind the house and searching for sand glass to take home as souveniers. Next time we visit Isla Mujeres, we will be staying here.

Room Tip: Book the upstairs for the wonderful jacuzzi, or the downstairs for the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jesse M
TX
Reviewed 18 June 2012

In July 2011, we stayed at a little casa in Colonia La Gloria. We enjoyed it there, but one afternoon, having strolled down to Casa Roca Caribe to check out the accommodations for a future trip, we were completely WOWed by what we found there, and actually sorry that we hadn't chosen it for our inaugural Isla trip. We went home and immediately booked, and have now just returned from two glorious weeks (June 2012) at Jimbo & Karen's place. We could not have been more pleased with the house, which has absolutely all of the comforts of home. But unlike home, the view - oh! the view! - We rented the lower pool level and can't even begin to describe how wonderful it was to gaze out at the Caribbean countless times each day, and to just listen to the waves rush in. It was heavenly! The house is clean and spacious, beds are very comfy, bathroom is large and unlike a lot of Mexican rentals, water pressure in the shower was perfect. It was also nice to have a washer and dryer on premises. The pool was sparkling and refreshing, and Jimbo made sure that it was tended perfectly. He also routinely checked to make sure that we had fresh beach and bath towels, which was really nice. Lidia, the maid, did a beautiful job cleaning after our first week (please do tip her!), and we appreciated Jimbo arranging for her to come in. It's swelteringly hot on Isla during the summer months, but even though the house has A/C, we rarely needed to use it as the cross-breeze coming off the ocean cools the house nicely. The location itself is ideal, tucked away down a short residential street so that you're not in the thick of things, but still very much a part of a real Mexican neighborhood. We went to the beach most days, and found it very easy to catch taxis by walking a short way down the hill. Also really enjoyed having a convenience store a short stroll away. Back at the house, we loved the rooster crowing next door and the sights and sounds of people going about their daily lives up and down the lane. Mango Cafe, just about a 30-second stroll away, is one of the BEST restaurants on Isla, and we ate there several times. Also enjoyed Monchi's, which is about a 35-second walk away! Jimbo and Karen have truly thought of everything, but moreso, they are the consummate hosts and truly made us feel that their home was OUR home. They were attentive and responsive without being intrusive - I believe this is a fine art that they have mastered! We could not have asked for a more enjoyable two week holiday, and I will admit that I shed a few tears upon our return home. I missed Isla and Casa Roca Caribe THAT much! Before we left on our final day, we made sure to give Jimbo our deposit for 2013. We simply could not walk out of there without knowing for certain that we WILL return ... and now we have something to look forward to! We feel privileged to have been able to stay at Casa Roca Caribe, and to now count Karen and Jimbo (and their sweet little dog, Leo) as not merely folks we've rented from - but as our FRIENDS!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family