“Great location, not that good for the price...”

Playa La Media Luna Hotel
Ranked #6 of 37 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Great location, not that good for the price...”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

If you are looking for a secluded but still close to downtown, this would be the right hotel. I had been in Isla for a few times and I always stay at the Privilege Aluxes, this time I wanted something smaller and out of the comotion, great but for the same price pretty much you get a bigger room and great ambiance over at Privilege. Also the continental buffet is way much better at Privilege!!!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Hebrew first
Linz, Österreich
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed 5 nights at Hotel Playa La Media Luna. They offer different rooms, we choose one with King Size Bed and Ocean View.
The room had a good size and was clean and nice. On our terrace we had an amazing view on the sea! There was a hammock and chairs on our terrace, so we could relax and enjoy the view. In front of the terraces and the balconies is a nice pool.
The staff was very friendly. The beautiful north beach and shops and restaurants are nearby the hotel.

But, the breakfast was really disappointing. Don't expect anything from that!
There was coffee, tea, two different juices, toast, a cake, butter, jam and some fruits. That's it. Some cheese, ham or eggs would be nice.
Don't waste your time at this so-called "breakfast buffet" - go and have a good mexican breakfast somewhere on the island!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This was our fourth time on the island and we had actually scoped this place out the last time we were here, so we kinda knew what to expect. We were in room #1 which was a king room. The bed was not rock hard (very comfortable), the room was modern and everything was very clean. When we opened the door to our walk-out sand pad with hammock, beach bed, umbrella and chairs we thought we had it all, until we looked up and saw the gorgeous view of the blue pool water showing off the even more spectacular blue of the ocean! I could go on and on about this resort, hands down it is our new favorite. Yes, the front desk is laid back; they don't sprint into attention when you walk up. You must embrace the experience of little-town Mexico! This is not a resort where you are treated like a number. Every morning the maids come and wash off the entire deck. Yes, the breakfast doesn't have a splended array of every meat possible, but the freshest juices and fruit are there for your picking! We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My experience was bad.

The view was fantastic. The beach was unusable (rocks).

The owner, though, wouldn't respect my cancellation a day early. The cancellation was because the ferry to the mainland didn't arrive early enough for my flight at the airport. He tried to rip me off, and was dishonest about it on the island. I found out later, and had to call VISA to dispute the charges.

Avoid this hotel because of the owner. Also, it's partially under construction, and the road to it smells.

Room Tip: no elevator.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank vinfromdallas
Land O Lakes, FL
Reviewed 29 November 2011

You get what you pay for and we would consider going back. This place was not very expensive and was very nice considering what we spent for the room.

Our room was always clean and everything was in good shape. The place is nice and quiet. The staff was polite but reserved. Our view was nice but some rooms had storm shutters up so their view would not have been as nice. The beds were comfortable. There was plastic furniture on the balcony but no seat cushions. The lounge furniture around the pool could have used better cushions.

We arrived around noon and had to wait for our room. Sadly we were not able to leave our luggage at the hotel while we went out for lunch. I asked prior to our arrival if this was a possibility when we made our reservation and again when we checked in. I’m not sure if they didn’t understand but I never got an answer (front desk just looked at us and said nothing). Our choices were to either carry our bags with us wherever we went to eat or wait until our room was ready. It would have been nice if we could have left our bags at the hotel.

They lock the doors from 10 at night to 7 in the morning. This means no walking on the beach to watch the sunrise. There was staff on site at 5:30 in the morning so it wasn’t like they would need extra staff to open the door, but the exits to the beach were still locked. I don’t understand why you were not allowed to exit to the beach but don’t expect to see the sunrise from the beach.

When we arrived we were informed that there were three people so we would have to pay more. I checked our reservation and it showed three adults. It would have been nice if their reservation system would have showed us the correct price but we understood. However if we were on a really tight budget this would have been more of a problem

The reservation also stated no pets were allowed. The room next to us had a little dog which they would leave sit outside their room sometimes. So maybe pets are allowed.

On a separate note when dining on the island watch out for the musicians because they may try and rip you off. We frequently will let the musicians play a song and then tip them 20 pasos. This has been fine on our other trips and with most musicians but this was not enough for the one musician on Isle. He insisted we tip him and his friend 50 pasos. I asked him when he told me it was 50 pasos before he started and got the blank stare. So from that point on we said no to every musician. If you want a song get the price first.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank nigeldkat
Venice, FL
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I have visited Isla Mujeres regularly for about 25 years. This (Sept. 20 -25/2011) was my first time at this hotel. My wife and I had visited the property 6 months prior and It looked lovely, tranquil, clean, relaxing, close to town, and not too expensive. I decided to book it for my solo visit in Sept. When I arrived they had no record of my reservation and I was informed that half the hotel was closed as it was slow season and no room was available. After providing proof of prepaid reservation I was told they could have one of the closed rooms available in about 30 min. They did this and upgraded me to a suite for the same ammount i had already paid. The room had a lovely view of the pool, beach, and Caribbean........unfortunately, the next day they installed plastic storm shutters over the picture window destroying the view. I complained and was told that they were getting ready to close the hotel for 20 days as soon as I checked out and no workers would be available to install the shutters after that time. Hummmmmm....Other guests had the same complaint along with the fact that construction work around the pool and in the lobby raged from early each morning until 5:00pm. "Off-seasom maintenance." I was told. The owner of the property was in evidence daily but only responded to my "Hola" on the third daily attempt. Fortunately or not my airconditioner made so much noise the construction was muted but sleeping was difficult. There is no restaurant so a late snack is a hike to town.
I would probably rate this hotel a notch or two higher for an in-season visit but would urge anyone to avoid it in Sept/Oct.

Room Tip: Rooms 13 or 16 are Jacuzzi suites on floors 2 and 3 on the North side of the hotel but I was told t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank David S
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This hotel has all the characteristics to be gorgeous: it is a small hotel right on the beach, close to the "down town" - but not to any noisy bar/restaurant - from the swimming pool and (I guess) all the rooms you have a great view of the ocean…BUT it needs a good restoration/maintenance and a staff that cares about you!!!

The room was kind of dark because the window was small and the balcony-door was a wooden door that did not allow the light to enter (change it!). In the bathroom the shower-tiles were so "old" and stained (or not well maintained?) that looked dirty even if I am sure they were not. In the shower there was so much limestone that only little water came out. The air condition was old and a little bit noisy. The balcony is quite big and has a great view.

Next to the swimming pool there was a sort of small bar that not only was not working during my stay but also It had in the sink some glasses and cups that looked left there for a while. All the outside wooden floor (near the swimming pool and in the path to the room) needed some good maintenance.

The staff did not provide us with any advice and was not customer service oriented. For example they had a tank of water on the first floor for the guest, for 2 days nobody noticed that it was empty until I informed them. Moreover, a maid left for almost 2 days some trash in a common area (until I told a maid about it). Whenever I needed to talk to somebody at the reception, it looked like I was bothering them. One night we played cards outside near the swimming pool and one member of the hotel was annoyed that he had to wait to turn off the lights…it was only 10 pm...
The breakfast was ok, but really nothing to remember.

It is such a pity as the location is great, plus it has all the potentialities to be a wonderful hotel!
We loved Isla Mujeres (and we are planning to go back!) but I am not sure if I would go to this hotel if they don't improve it a bit.
By the way the hotel is next to Hotel Secreto.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple