“Quiet, Good location, Nice pool, Great value”

Playa La Media Luna Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Location- Quiet, secluded beach front location. Perfectly quiet for great napping/sleeping. No roosters around to wake me up in the morning, although I don't sleep in late anyways. The beach isn't swim-able right out front of the hotel due to sharp coral rock formations but this keeps the crowds/noise away. Small shallow pools form in the coral that you can play in (your protected from the waves here so it's not scary). The fish will swim right up to you and you can find pretty sea glass in this area. The sand is a little "sharp" so bring your water shoes. Just a short walk along the beach over the coral (or on the road) to the North Beach or take the road a few blocks to the main area (Hidalgo) for shopping and restaurants. Pleasant breeze comes from the east- you can't feel this in town so it's a pleasant relief when you return to the hotel.

Pool- The pool was my favorite part! It is separated into a shallow end with one step (knee high water) that I could play on until I got more comfortable walking in the deeper water. By the end of the week I could explore half of the pool on my own with my parents just an arms length away. The deeper end was only for the older kids (even my mom couldn't touch). They had balls and some floaties to play with- I had a lot of fun playing with the balls.

Bar/Lack of Restaurant- They do have a poolside bar that was convenient for my parent's drinks but it wasn't anything amazing and closes at 6. Basically everyone vanishes from the hotel about 6 to go to town and have dinner. The hotel is very quiet, we had mostly early risers and early to bed fellow guests which was perfect for my sleeping schedule. It would be nice if there was a restaurant on site so that I could swim a little longer without being interrupted but one day we did order from the Buho's beach bar (30 minute delivery) and the food was delicious- guacamole is my favorite. I suppose I can swim anywhere and it's good that we got out around town and to the beach more ;)

Rooms/Value- My family rented one of two bungalows, a standard King, and a Rustico room. My Aunt ended up canceling her Rustico room due to the smell and stayed with us in the bungalow which was ok because there was plenty of room (2 double beds and a fold out couch). Everything was very clean and spacious in our bungalow, there wasn't anything to get into (luckily my parents brought some good toys) with the exception of the phones which my parents kept reminding me were not for touching. However the floors are very slippery especially when they get sand or water on them, so again... wear your shoes and be careful. The kitchen was nice to have. My parents bought me some milk and snacks at the local grocery store which was great since the Bungalow rooms don't come with breakfast and there is no restaurant on location. There are many restaurants close by, but most don't open as early as I wake up and I like to snack a lot throughout the day- swimming makes a girl hungry! My grandparents ate the continental breakfast everyday, but it is really lacking and sometimes we'd eat double breakfast- a snack at the hotel and then go out for a later "real" breakfast. Out front of our bungalow is a beautiful sandy area I could play in for hours while my parents relaxed in their loungers. The water pressure was very poor in the main shower head (no bathtub), but I enjoyed showering in the foot rinse faucet anyways. Finding a hotel where 6 people (5 adults, 1 kid) can stay comfortably for less than $300/night right on the beach allows us to enjoy a week of fun, valuable family time. There is really no need to look any further or stay anywhere fancier.

Review written in the perspective of 14 month old- Stella.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Stella Z

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We just returned from our second stay at Playa La Media Luna Hotel. And fell even more in love with this amazing hotel the second time around! I did not leave a review last year because I didn't want the best kept secret on Isla Mujeres getting out. From the moment we walked through the front doors I thought how can the whole world not know about this hotel already? It is a your own little piece of paradise! It is close to everything yet just far enough away to have peace and quiet. Some days we were the only people at the pool. I don't know where you can go and have an ocean front room in a hotel with less than 20 rooms and look out at the ocean and not see one person? I kept thinking this couldn't be for real? The waves and coral rocks forming "half moon beach" are simply stunning. And if sitting and listening to the surf and watching the waves doesn't ease all your stress, nothing will! A simple few minute walk to your left down around the point and you are right on Playa Norte and can join in with all the crowds and fun that brings. A whole different world than walking back a few steps to Playa La Media Luna. We would walk at least once if not multiple times from the hotel down the beach to the ferry dock. Sometimes to grab a drink or two on Playa Norte or lunch or just to go take a swim or snorkel. You can always walk into the main part of town to grab lunch, dinner, beer/sodas to brink back to your minifridge. We found there was no reason to have a golf cart, you are that close to everything. All the restaraunts, the little "minimarts", the grocery store, there ferry dock. We always get a cart for just one day to explore the island and go down to the south end, but you don't need it daily and you can always grab a taxi to go further distances. I was reading the reviews about the breakfast, and I was mystified. They offer a continental breakfast and serve exactly that. And a delicious one. There is always a huge platter of fresh sliced fruit, watermelon, cantelope, that I have never had available at any other free continental breakfast anywhere. There are whole mangos, bananas, and other fruit and lots of fruit juices. Local various breads, cereals, peanut butter. I was impressed with the variety. I love the breakfast!! Both visits we stayed in a king, first floor room. The beds are wonderful, we have never used the AC, as the ocean breeze is cool enough for us and we like to hear the surf, and the water pressure was great! We love having our own little patio outside our door with our own hammock. I don't think there has been any turnover in the staff since our stay last year which says a lot about the hotel. They are all excellent. We don't speak ANY spanish and they all speak English well. We booked our trip last year not knowing much about Isla Mujeres and only had these reviews to pick a hotel from. And I am so thankful that we ended up at Playa La Media Luna last year. If you are looking for a little piece of paradise for your vacation, I promise you, you will find it here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tuchekkr
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Playa la Media Luna was our Isla home for two weeks recently, and could not have been a better location to use as our base. Even with a late night arrival which can be underwhelming at a place you've never stayed before, PML gave off vibes of welcome and safety. Halls were clean and well lit, and the pool area looked just surreally lovely with underwater lights playing beneath the surface.
We are not ones to spend much time in our rooms overall, but the balcony overlooking the ocean, palms and the pool area changed that this trip. We had a third floor standard room with two beds which were, bar none, the MOST comfortable beds I've ever had in many trips to Mexico and other Caribbean locales. Great thread count linens, too. The armoire was huge and had deep drawers as well, and there were also drawers in the entertainment unit so we could fully unpack.
The fridge kept drinks icy cold and was big enough to keep fruit, veg, cheese and cold cuts in. the breakfast room off the lobby has dishes and cups and cutlery so we took a few things to use when we brought back take away to our room. We travel with a small travel blender and bring protein powder to make fruit smoothies with the wonderful ripe mangoes, melon, pears, apples and bananas from the continental breakfast for some mornings. We also bring a little coffee maker and tea bags from home. The hotel coffee was great and some days I brought up two, one hot and one to freeze into cubes for an iced blender latte later in the day! There was lots of milk available anytime one asked for drinks, too.
A huge plus about this hotel was wifi in the rooms, out by the pool and in the lobby. It was strong and consistent and we could even download a movie in a reasonable amount of time. In 15 days, there was only one brief interruption. Staff at the desk, in particular, Alma, were helpful, efficient and warm. I speak Spanish imperfectly and she does the same with English but we always communicated well! :) Any questions we had were dealt with promptly.
Much has been said about the prime location of PML - truly, everything is within walking distance. There are convenience stores just outside the hotel street, the loncherias and market are right there, Playa Norte is steps away and some of our favorite little restaurants like Ruben's on Guerrero, north of Las Palmas hotel, Abuelo's, further down the same street by Ixchel condos, and the Roosters on the Go across from Hortensia's shop on Carlos Lazo. Everything in Centro is walkable, but we like venturing all around the island, so we rent a golf cart and have parking for it at this hotel.
Housekeeping was done early and the room and bathroom were kept very clean. I didn't like the floor tiles in huge shower and that would be my sole complaint. They need bleaching/replacing. I simply wore my flip flops to shower in. There is no hair dryer, but we don't use one anyway. I bet they might have some for use at the desk. Lots of towels and face cloths.
Families, singles, couples of all ages were staying here, but it was never noisy. All rooms are non-smoking, but people smoked on their balconies and the breeze carries it into any open windows or doors. The air conditioners were loud but worked great, and with our location on the Caribe side, we never slept with it on, preferring the wind and waves as lullabies.
Gracias to the manager and staff at Playa La Media Luna. See you next time!!

Room Tip: More privacy on the second and third floors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dharmacate_12
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed for 6 nights just recently. The hotel is in a great location, just around the corner from North Beach. It's a 2-3 block walk. The hotel does have a very nice pool with lots of chairs and shade, and is also ocean-front with a nice little beach just 30 yards from the pool. The morning and evening breezes are really fantastic. The breakfast was pretty sad with no protein source whatsoever, so if you are looking to carb and sugar load in the morning, it might be okay. They had only store-bought bread, fruit, a mexican sweet bread, cereal, coffee, and juice. Needless to say, we ate out for breakfast daily.

The drinks at the small bar are very well priced and delicious. Not very many people take advantage of it, but it makes an afternoon at the pool very relaxing! We loved that it was in close proximity so many great restaurants on N. Hidalgo and at North beach and the west side as well. The property could use some maintaining, though. We stayed on the 3rd floor and there is a wood-slat bridge that takes you around to the rooms facing the ocean. Several of the wood slats were rotting or loose, which could present a safety concern, especially with small children.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They give you nice big beach towels everyday which you can take with you to the beach or use at the pool. And, they were great to answer any questions we had about the area, places to eat, etc.

We stayed in a King Jacuzzi suite. The word "Jacuzzi" should probably be spelled out a little better by the hotel, especially since they charge so much for these rooms. It is basically an outdoor tub, it is NOT a hot tub. Meaning, you have to fill it yourself--the water never gets really hot. We took an outdoor bath 2 nights just because the views are so great and the stars were out shining brightly. However, it wasn't the same as a hot tub.

Also, I found it strange that they are one of the only hotels that doesn't have a computer for their guests to use. Therefore, you can't print boarding passes or reservation forms while you are there.

We would stay here again, even though I think the prices are a little high for what you get. Next time, I will go in April once the prices are lowered.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CherylB615
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Love the location, around the corner from the beach, short walk to downtown and right on the ocean with the a great breeze and waves crashing on the rocks. We stayed in a king room. Clean, nice balcony, cool wooden walkway to the room, reminds you you are in Mexico. Pool area nice, not a big deal for as we love going to the beach, but nice to hang out there when beach is too hot. We had wi fi in our room. Not sure if all did. Breakfast so so but I like to go out anyways. Definitely a repeat.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 63Hotelmike
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I love this small botique hotel located on the 'rough side' of Isla Mujeres. I mean rough side being the windy, wave crashing experience that we seek out. Is there nothing better than hearing waves crashing from your seaside hotel room? The property is not a 5 star resort but rather a comfortable 3 to 4 star hotel with very solid 'bones'. The bones being good beds and pillows, decent showers with very hot water,ceiling fans, a handy mini frig in the room and a nice patio facing the pool and ocean. The continental breakfast was marginal and the coffee just so-so. Also the front deck could use some brushing up in English. From this hotel you can walk to dozens of restaurants, the North Beach and a delightful little lagoon around the corner where one could snorkle without fear of being swept away by the rough sea current that is present in front of the hotel.
There is a decent pool directly in front as well as a sandy beach where lounge chairs and an umbrella could be set up for a lazy day of reading and rest. We stayed for 6 nights and had no regrets booking this little gem that's just enough away from the 'action' that you will sleep soundly after being lulled to sleep by the crashing waves.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and be ware the hotel charges a 10% credit card fee so, if you can, bring cash.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TequilaMark
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel location is great. It is quiet and right on the beach. Good pool and nice people. The swimming beach (one of the best in Mexico and rated 15th in the world) is around the corner. I really like the location since you are near (walking distance) to all the major restaurants and beaches yet in a secluded nice quiet spot.

We had a king with a jacuzzi and the room was large and clean. Limited TV but you didn't come here to watch TV right. Great view and big deck over looking the ocean. The air conditioner was noisy and died during the week. A bit slow fixing but we got it resolved. The staff is nice and the place is very safe.

Most people who come there have come for years (lots from upper midwest - MN WI ...). Friendly and not noisy. Go to the party section of town if you want noise its within walking distance.

Would reco take the ferry from Puerto Juarez to the island and then walk to the hotel or rent a golf cart. Golf carts are the best way to get around the island. There are rental places going left when you exist the ferry on the street. If you are staying on the other side of the island and there are some nice rentals then rent a cart and drive to the condo with your bags. No reason to take a taxi unless you are feeling lazy and you might it is vacation.

Overall good place.