“Second stay here..I got my wish!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Hotel Maria del Pilar
Ranked #24 of 37 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Second stay here..I got my wish!”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at Hotel Maria del Pilar again for six nights this time. No regrets! The location is ideal. The service is just right. You still hear the music from Hidalgo Street, but only 10pm to midnight and if you use the air conditioner, it is muted. We would definitely stay again, and as I said in my older review, I hope it can be for a longer stay!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jodiog

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks & really enjoyed my time. Great location, the room was always kept clean & the staff were very friendly. I found it to be good value for money & hope to stay again. Thank you for your hospitality Mr & Mrs Gunther :)

Stayed December 2012
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The band next door had drunken drummer who couldn't keep time playing late into the night every night of the week. Stay away from Gringo Street.
Friendly service was a plus. Having a full sized fridge was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed 4 nights in the downstairs studio with AC and full kitchen for approximately $40 per night. Pre-paid a deposit with PayPal and left a $40 security deposit at check-in (which was refunded on check-out). Gladys and Gunther were both lovely and their staff were all inconspicuous and efficient.

The room was quirky (really high kitchen counter, interesting painted-over door in the middle of the wall) but well equipped (comfortable beds, coffee maker, fridge/freezer, dishes). Plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the ancient shower, the toilet flushes (NOT as common as you might think in Mexico!), and the AC effectively cools the room. If you are looking for modern and/or fancy, this isn't it. It isn't even Motel 6 by American standards--but hey, it's Mexico, people! The furnishings are "homey" but not new, the fixtures have the usual calcium deposits, and the decor is Isla-quaint. But everything works just fine. Great closet/storage space with a little safe for valuables. Fun little patio facing the street with comfortable lounge furniture and a dining table for morning coffee and "in-room" dining if you don't feel like going out.

The location can't be beat: steps from the main restaurant/bar street (Hildalgo), minutes from the beach and the ferry, around the corner from fantastic activity vendors (diving, tours, etc.) and the grocery. While there are other reviews complaining about the noise level, with doors and windows closed, the noise was barely noticeable and I had no issues sleeping. The bars and music clubs stop for the most part around 1am. If you want serious quiet, stay elsewhere (there are plenty of hotels outside of town). If you want to be able to walk to absolutely everything and be right in the heart of Isla at a fantastic price, this is the place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michelle W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Here are the pros and perks of our experience at this hostel:

The price was competitive for the immediate area. We stayed in the downstairs studio, with the mini kitchen and patio with furniture. This room has a full size fridge/freezer, and a mini stove, sink, coffee maker, pots and pans, utensils, etc. The bed was comfortable (although the pillows were lumpy-ish) and the a/c worked well, as well as the stand alone fan and ceiling fan. Also, if you are staying a while, there is a ton of storage - a huge built in wardrobe with shelves and a rod, and there is also a shelving system in the bathroom. The wardrobe has a key safe, and the front door is very heavy and secure.

Another huge perk is that it's right off the main drag where all the shops and restaurants are and not far from the beach and ferry. *Try Mamacita's for a nice dinner for two (from the hostel entrance, turn right to go towards Hildago and turn right on Hildago ... it's down a ways on the left ... I think a few blocks ... can't miss it - lots of colorful decorations!) I also did a review on this restaurant if you want to check it out.

Here are the unfortunate letdowns:

The room and decorations are quite dingy, and there was a slight odor in the room (could not tell from what - just slightly dank). The bathroom floor was filthy (wear your flippy flops). There is a crack in the glass window, and the window in the kitchen unit is not secure and does not have a privacy curtain (but it faces a tight alley and brick wall, so it's not terrible).

And now for the noise. As many reviews have mentioned, there is a bar about 25 meters down the road, and they have live music every night. However, I could not have anticipated the level of noise coming from that place. It's insane. Even if you are a heavy sleeper or can tolerate noise, it is seriously ridiculous (unnecessary). Like, I felt that I was sitting inside the bar so I might as well have. (Note: ear plugs will not block out the noise in the least).

DO do this hostel if ... you plan on staying up OUTSIDE of your room until about 1 or 2am and have flip flops for the shower, and if you want a decent price and a full kitchen!

DO NOT do this hostel if ... when you try to sleep you cannot due to loud and (sorry) sometimes really bad music, and so then you throw pillows and want to scream. In other words, if you have low levels of patience, don't do it. Just don't.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ashevillehappycamper
GladysGaldamez, Owner at Hotel Maria del Pilar, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for having stayed at our hotel and for your great description of the studio, it is amazingly accurate.
Being right downtown in the middle of all the activities, within walking distance to the restaurants, beaches, bars has it's downside: the noise level can be quite high as you say, however not all people have the same tolerance, I have guest that return every year to this unit spending 3 months in the winter and are not bothered by it, retirees. I am very sorry it kept you up, when people ask I tell them about it.
The "window" in the bathroom is a vent, and there is nothing on the other side, so we do not feel it necessary to put a curtain up there, but now that you have pointed it out I will do so.
The bathroom floor being "filthy" is not the common state, I am very sorry, perhaps the maid had an off day and we did not catch it.
My sincerest apologies for the inconviniences you had to endure, and we hope we can have the opportunity to make it up to you on another visit.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on a tour of the east coast of Mexico. I chose this hotel because of the great reviews but I would give it 2 stars at most! Firstly, the "great staff" I read about were never around. You had to ring a bell and wait for a while for anyone to get there. We were given the room and that was it until check out. No one going in to change the towels, or making the beds or anything. I know it's cheap but I have even had that in hostels.
Secondly it was loud! Not only was there a bar nearby with very loud live music until the early hours, but they were doing work downstairs from 6 - 10pm every night so all you would hear between those hours was BANG BANG BANG!. I had to wear earplugs to get to sleep!
The room was basic. We had a toaster, microwave, and fridge in the room which was very handy. They all seemed to be faulty and old however. We had to hold the toaster lever down until the bread toasted! Outside the communal kitchen is full of ants (which I guess can only be expected in an outside kitchen), but it was handy to have to make basic meals on a gas stove.
A good thing about this hotel is it's in a good location in the main town, and main street.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bearearth
Thank you very much for helping us improve our business. If I remember you correctly you were two girls that I saw a couple of times and said hello to and you mentioned the construction noise as you were checking out. I am very sorry about the construction maybe it seemed to have gone on longer that it actually did, but it is very hard to find the appropriate time to get things done without bothering the guest. This was done between 5 and 9 pm, and being a tourist destination we felt no one would be in at that time. Our deepest apologies. The music and the street noise is something out of our control, staying right downtown has its downfalls.
The hotel as you saw is a small hotel, family run, very economical, and well situated, we do not offer the best quality equipment, but in working condition and sufficient to cover the travelers needs, more than you would get at a fancy hotel. Sometimes the equipment fails and we replace it, perhaps you should have mentioned that you needed a new toaster and we would have gladly given you another one.
Regarding the ants, they are everywhere, we are in a tropical island, with scorpions, mosquitoes, cucarachas, and ants, although you will probably not encounter all of them but they are here. Maybe you should have looked this up before coming down and being unpleasantly surprised, we do our best to keep the place fumigated but once in a while they get through.
We look forward to making this up to you if you choose to visit again.
Reviewed 23 July 2012

It was comfortable but our window was opened and somebody took our iPhone, the owners would speak to us or say a thing, we were upset for the lack of empathy or the image they gave us by not even trying to fix the window

• Stayed July 2012
I would like to apologize for your loss and our absence, and lack of empathy. The rooms are provided with small safes for the guest to put their cameras, phones and small important articles in. Unfortunately you did not make use of it, and although it is not an excuse to be robbed, it makes it easier for someone to come in , if you perhaps left the door open as it is impossible to have access to the room from the window that was opened.
My apologies for you loss but we can not be responsible for valuables not put in the safe.