“Don't Skip this Slice of Paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bahia Tortuga

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Bahia Tortuga
Ranked #6 of 34 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Fort Worth, Texas
“Don't Skip this Slice of Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

Rhonda & Danny, your place is absolutely amazing! We brought my mom to celebrate her 65th birthday; it was a grand celebration! There are many great things about this trip, and they all begin with your incredible hospitality, genuine warmth and care that we enjoyed ourselves and had what we needed. The Halloween Party was fun and the live music on Sunday night was a treat! The food in your restaurant and bar service is the best we experienced on the island. JJ, Emilio, and Jorge treated us to outstanding, impeccable service. Rooms were spotless with comfortable beds (!!), and tastefully decorated. Words can't describe the views from our room, the rooftop terrace, and the dock for sunrise/sunset. Thank you for showing us around the island and treating us well. The tips on shopping and souvenirs were very helpful. The only thing I can say was disappointing was that we had to leave. We will be back soon!! If you are trying to decide where to stay and socialize on Isla Mujeres, look no further. Bahia Tortuga will NOT disappoint. We HIGHLY recommend this slice of paradise to everyone we come in contact with!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 24 November 2012
Thank you for such a flattering review Barbara. We had a great time with the three of you. We're excited that your first trip to Isla was so enjoyable and we're really happy that Bahia Tortuga was your hotel choice. Thanks also for acknowledging our prized staff. We are so fortunate to have such a fine crew.

We're looking forward to you returning for a girl's trip with your co-workers once you get a break in your schedule. Please tell your husband and Mom hello for us. Let's stay in touch!

Thanks again! Danny & Rhonda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Danny, Rhonda, Emilio, JJ, Jorge...What can I say I feel like I left part of my family behind when we had to leave. The first place we found on the island while attempting to walk downtown and get out of the sun. We made a point of going to every bar/restraunt during our 2 week stay but somehow always ended up there a couple times a day for a beer, good company and conch fritters! The most hospitable people (customers included) we could have ever met. EXCELLENT! Looking forward to coming again soon. Don't stop the carnival Danny!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thanks so much Steve for the flattering review. Sure wish you two were still here. People like you make our life fun. Hope to see you again soon. Danny & Rhonda
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Awesome Trip... Thanks Danny and Rhonda for a wonderful break away from reality. You have a little piece of paradise with the Bahia Tortuga. Location is everything and you have it. Close to the ferry and downtown, but also the southend of the island, Mayan ruins and the beautiful beaches. Service was impeccable, and always humorous from all the bar staff. You guys took perfect care of me and can't thank you enough for the experience. I will be back!

Room Tip: I really liked the room I had, I think it was number 3? Great bed and steps to the pool! I highly re...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RodMan101
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We're quite happy you found your "Hideway South of the Border". We watched your stress melt away more and more each day. We'll pass your compliments along to our cherished staff. We are so happy you chose to be here and we are hopeful you will return to Isla often. Danny & Rhonda
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Wow. Rhonda and Danny are fabulous hosts. This little hotel/bar/restaurant is a super value and the service can't be beat. The owners take a personal interest in you and make you feel like you are part of their family. They invited us on a sunset cruise the first night (free, by the way), which they didn't have to do. They then invited us out to dinner on the Caribbean male con the second night, where we had Cuban food looking out over the Caribbean and a blue moon. Then they showed us around town, bought us a couple of drinks and played a game of pool with us.....

So, not only was the hotel well maintained (the pool was immaculate), the bar had live music three of the four nights we were there, lots of local ex-pats frequented the bar and restaurant, and the atmosphere was genuine Old Mexico mixed with laid back home style friendliness, there
was lots of hot water, and the owners took a personal interest in the quality of your vacation. Lots of good advice, but in no way overbearing or invasive.

If someone were looking to complain, the hotel is on the main road on the island and the road noise was noticeable at times. This did not bother us at all though, since the partying seemed to stop by 10 pm and the traffic was very light. However, it was an easy 10 or 15 minute walk into the little town, or very easy to catch a taxi from right in front of the hotel.

If you like feeling like you want to escape the tourist traps, and want a cozy, friendly, clean and relaxing vacation, we recommend you stay at Bahia Tortuga.

And by the way, Isla Mujeres itself was quite incredible, much like Mexico of several decades ago. Businesses are mostly owned by mom and pops, and the corporate culture has not infected it.

Scott and Dee Dee

Room Tip: get the room closest to the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottBTexas
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Wow, thank you for such a flattering review. You two were amazing. Thank you for choosing Bahia Tortuga for celebrating your special wedding anniversary here! We enjoyed hanging out and showing you around. We were happy that you packed in as much as you could to experience the great things the island has to offer. Thank you for recommending us and mentioning that this is an escape from the trourist traps, and is cozy, friendly, clean and condusive to a relaxing vacation. We look forward to your return to Isla. Again, thanks! Danny & Rhonda
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

This is by far the best spot to spend your vacation on Isla Mujeres. The owners are friendly and accommodating. The staff is attentive and responsive to your every need. The food is fabulous and the atmosphere is always lively. We will be heading back in October and can't wait to get back to good friends, good food and the best location on the island!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cottongirlboise
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Returning in October... we look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for the flattering review and classigying Bahia Tortuga as "the best location on the island". You'll see changes when you return... we're already extending the kitchen and have added another patio for additional seating. Thank you again for the great review! Danny & Rhonda
Saskatoon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

There are very few things to say that have not already been said by the other reviews. This is such a fun and friendly bar with great food and drinks. Everyone from the great bartenders to the owners treat you like you have been a customer for 20 years. Probably swung by 5 times at least during this past trip to the Island and will definitely be my first place I stop by when I return next month.

Cant wait until the dock is done to bring my boat over.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank UniversityDropout
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you. We love it that you felt so welcomed at Bahia Tortuga! For us, it feels like we're just having backyard partys every day with fun people like yourself. We wear our University Dropout shirts with pride. We look forward to seeing you again in August. The dock should be completed by the end of August. Thank you again for the flattering review! Danny & Rhonda
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I changed my lodging reservations from a different location to Bahia Tortuga Hotel, after having such a positive expereince at Bahia tortuga Restaurant and Bar. When I saw how the proprietors Danny and Rhonda treated a packed house, taking a moment to give us all face time in the midst of holiday festivities, I just knew that staying at their hotel would be equally great. I was not disappointed, and all at a very reasonable rate.

All the rooms are tastefully decorated in caribbean themes, spacious, and just generally better than advertised. I would be remiss if I did not note the numerous and well placed electrical outlets near the mirrors, and all over the room. This is not a common thing in many of the other rooms I have visited in Isla Mujeres. A woman MUST have had a hand in this! The water pressure in the showers is the best I have experienced on the island, and each room has its own hot water heater. The towels are soft and fluffly, and the linens are fresh and crisp. If you enjoy pets, Rhonda's three weiner dogs are a hoot! They reign as Head of House Security, and run rough-shod over stray cats and iguana. (BTW-- If you don't like pets, then you are probably too uptight to enjoy this place to its fullest potential, as the vibe is casual and relaxed.)

Once JJ gave me a tutorial on how to run the AC remote in my room, I was in perfect paradise. And speaking of JJ...... He takes such pride in the place, as well as in seeing to your every need, that you would think it were HE that owns the place right alongside Danny and Rhonda. He also mixes a mean margarita!

Rhonda is a Texas girl, and she brings that Southern Hospitality to your Mexican doorstep. Although Danny is from South Florida, which is definitely not in The South, he is every bit as warm and welcoming as Rhonda -- (inside joke). He is one of the most interesting people you will ever meet.

The highest compliment I could pay is to say that I want my son to see the place and know the people ----- so stay tuned for our holiday photo from Bahia Tortuga Hotel. I plan to return with him in December, if not sooner. After staying numerous other places on the island, I believe I have found my home away from home.

Room Tip: Talk to Rhonda about bed / hammock choices, and which rooms have TV and microwave. I have a feeling...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank michellegreene1969
Rhonda B, Owner at Bahia Tortuga, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Wow, we couldn't ask for a more flattering review! We shared your remarks with the staff and they just beamed. We especially liked your comment of "Danny is one of the most interesting people you will ever meet".... oh, how true that is :-D There's never a dull moment with him around. We're happy that you noticed the little details in the rooms. We realize that it's not easy finding rooms in Mexico with good water pressure, comfortable beds, air conditioning, and individual water heaters... oh, and the electrical outlets LOL Thank you again for the beautiful gift you surprised us with! There is not a time when I look at it that I don't think of you. We're looking forward to your return later in the year and meeting your son. Thanks for the review! Danny & Rhonda