“Best Calamari EVER!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maria's Kan-Kin

Maria's Kan-Kin
Ranked #35 of 201 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Calamari EVER!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Nice view, great service & seriously the BEST calamari I have ever had! I keep thinking about it & want to go back before we leave the island. Our teenagers loved the salmon fettuccini & the salads are very fresh. I had the carrot & apple. My husband had a different one. They were both very healthy & filling.

• Hebrew first
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Isla gem...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I feel bad for writing a late review as we enjoyed a May dinner at Maria's KK. I arranged a birthday dinner for my wife and had family with us including 3 infants.
Sebastian, the chef and I created a 6 course meal.

The setting there is just perfect. Great sunset view, sandy beach to stroll and beautiful water.
The 1st course was a tasty selection of starters which was fresh and tasty. Next came salad, then 3 entrée courses that he divided as a sampling and where presented just right... Everything was excellent and indeed the chef knows what the hell he is doing and prides himself in what he prepares.

Last he had made a birthday cake that was light and fresh, strawberrys encased in spun sugar atop. Not an easy feat for any chef especially in the humid, tropical weather!

Oh, and don't forget the Sangria...

Sebastians wife even enjoyed taking the little ones and before we left it was more like we were at good friends home rather than a restaurant.

So, well done. This is what one looks for on a beautiful island, great service, great ambiance and of course, great food!

DO NOT visit Isla without having a special dinner at this special place!!!

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank John V
White House, Tennessee
“Amazing Views and Even Better Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We had a group of 8 and we ordered 3 different appetizers and all 3 were great. Our main entrees varied from catch of the day to the steak which were all fabulous. I personally don't eat much seafood so I had the steak and it has to be one of the best steaks I've had in years. This is a must eat if your in Isla.

• Visited July 2014
Baldwin City, Kansas
“very small menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We visited last week, after we saw the menu we just ordered drinks. The menu only had around 7-10 choices for dinner, and most of it was fish, and very high priced. I'm sure the food would have been good, but we could not justify getting a meal for $25 dollars a person, that we weren't dying to try.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Wendi63
sebastianagostina, Director General at Maria's Kan-Kin, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi!! We sorry to hear that is a shame that you didn't try our food cause if you did you will said that is cheap..!!! Well the menu is short for many reason one is that we prefer a hole menu that be fresh, we try to sale just good food... Any good restaurant in the world have small menus for the same reason.... We served more fish than other stuff for obviously reason is the best product in an island...but we have options without fish, chicken breast our rib eye...we think that the price is just fair for what you got here...we sorry for not reach your expectations and hope someday you come back and try our food..best regards sebastian and Agostina Maria's kankin chef and manager
statecollege81
“A Must Stop in Isla!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife (we were there on our honeymoon) and I just got back after 8 days in Isla Mujeres and our evening at Maria's Kan-Kin for dinner was definitely the highlight our of restaurant experience. Before our trip I was able to get the e-mail address for Sabestian and coordinate a beach-side dinner for us. He was very responsive and even tried to help answer some additional questions I had about the island. We stopped by a day or two before to check it out and knew that we had made a good selection for our big romantic dinner.

When we got there for dinner, they had a table set up on the beach with candlelight. The food was fabulous! Everything from the calamari and guacamole topped with shrimp tostadas for appetizer to the hog fish and red snapper for dinner were fabulous! Sebestian also prepared us a special dessert that was out of this world. His now fiance (congrats), Agostina, is in charge of the service and even prepared a special drink for me after I was asking if they could make it. She was very nice to chat with during our meal too! They also announced that the re-signed a contract with the hotel (which is currently for sale) for another year!

PLEASE go visit this restaurant while you are on the island, if you don't go then you are seriously missing out. It is near Punta Sur and I believe they stop their dinner service around 7pm or 8pm, but this is well worth your trip and the views are amazing! Stay away from the centro and go explore the island, you may just find this hidden gem.

Thanks for a great night!

-Chris & Sidney