“Good atmosphere, average hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Poc-Na Hostel

Poc-Na Hostel
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Good atmosphere, average hostel”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Poc Na for one night in a six room dorm. The hostel itself is very average. No A/C, rooms are not very clean, bathrooms even worse, beds were terrible, although I saw smaller and more private rooms that looked better. With all that, the hostel has the best atmosphere for travelers and backpackers on the island. It has a private beach area with hammocks, cheap food and drinks, discounts for activities all over the island, and a chill beach party every night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This is what a hostel should be like, great atmosphere and setting. Beach front location, hammocks and places to lounge; bar and good showers and bathrooms, even a dive shop! The rooms were okay, and colourful murals brighten up the place. Breakfast included and upgrades on your meal available. Friendly staff! Had free yoga sessions on the beach, and bands at night... my only reason not a 5 star is the noisy music late at night, but that may have been due to the holiday season. Will be back!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

As far as hostels go you don't have much choice on Isla Mujeres. If you're wanting to party all night then you'll probably enjoy it here but for us it was a bit too over the top. There is (very loud) live music every night at the hostel bar from 9pm-2/3am. We are all for a bit of music and late nights and know that that's what you get at hostels, however every night was a little bit draining. It was also bit disappointing that you're not allowed to bring in any alcohol and there's no kitchen or fridge if you're wanting to do your own cooking. We also had bed bugs. Obviously that doesn't mean every bed has them but we were unlucky. We did have air con in our room (private $450mx per night) which was one really great feature and it was a modern unit that ran quietly. If you are looking at staying here and can fork out a bit extra I would recommend doing that as it's super hot and the dorms looked pretty heaty. All that said, it's really close to the beach and that's basically where you spent most of your time. There's an amazing restaurant near by called Olivia which has delicious food too.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 May 2014

You can not get any better than this.... Poc Na is not just home away from home... It is home. It is amazing especially for backpackers traveling alone. I went in alone and came out with a family! They are great at making sure everyone is welcomed, and they have a great set-up. Movies at night or a magician, then a live band plays on the stage, and then you walk out back for the beach party and so much dancing! The dive instructors are really wonderful & I just can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here in a private room which was super basic, toilet smelt a little weird - but we had air con, and to be honest on Isla Mujeres you are out of your room all day enjoying the beautiful beaches! Poc na has great prices on drinks and reasonable food on the menu (due to their restaurant you cannot bring your own food or drinks in here). The bands each night were pretty good, and it's super sociable. If you go to Isla make sure you hire a golf cart and head off exploring! So much fun!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This place has bed bugs. I notified the staff, but they were so indifferent to any request I had that I doubt they did anything about it. I didn't like this hostel bc it was more expensive, but without the perks that most hostels have. For example, you have to make your own bed and then clean it as well. They have a live band every night, so don't expect to go to sleep before 10:30. The advantages though were that it was really close to the beach. However, this was not worth it compared to the amount of bed bug bites I had afterwards. I gladly would have avoided that experience. Bed bugs are not fun. For me I got all these huge welts on my body. I'm sure that they're bed bugs because the bites resembled them exactly, and I didn't see a single mosquito the whole time I was there. Also, when I first got there they have you put your sheets on the bed, so I was able to see on the mattress that there were these little black specks around the rim of the mattress that former research informed me to be an indicator of bed bugs. I didn't want to be too paranoid so I just ignored it. Sure enough the next day I had bites alllll over my body. And they were super, super itchy. Uff definitely avoid if you can.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sheena M
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

First of all, concerning bad reviews, you have to take some leave some. I never stayed in a hostel in my life and was a bit "concerned" the first time I stay there, but we had a good time. I was surprised by the cleanliness of the room, and public restrooms/showers area. I'm not fussy as to where I stay when I travel, as long as it's clean. And it was. Went to Isla mujeres plenty of times after but since I was travelling with my then boyfriend, we used to stay at Rocamar hotel near by, which is worth about 100 usd a night. But this time, me and a girlfriend decided to go, and have some fun on a budget, so I thought I might as well go back to Poc-Na and we both enjoyed it. It is true that the reception staff are not friendly, borderline rude, but hey, I didn't deal with them much anyway, only check in and check out, so that was not a problem to me. As for the dorm, we stayed in a 6 bunks dorm, it had it's private bathroom and shower and it cost us 165 pesos. Can't complain about that! You have big lockers, but they don't provide locks, you need to bring your own, and it needs to be a small one if not, it won't fit.They have plenty of hot water too, which is awesome, was not thinking to have that "luxury" in a hostel especially since this area is know to lack hot water, It was Easter weekend, so the place was full with people mostly from Europe. Me met all kind of people, it was really nice. We just sat there and people were coming over to chat, which was pretty cool as I can be a bit on the shy side if I don't know people. We chilled in the restaurant-bar area until 11, then headed to the beach bar where we danced the night away and met more people from all over. Party goes on until 3 then usually a bunch of people stay there and chat, which is cool. The next morning, we missed breakfast that stops at 10:30 because of our late night partying, but stroll down the street where that have loads of breakfast place for cheap. We spent the day at Playa Norte, that's about 5 minutes walking from the hostel. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay, already booked the end of May with some friends and looking forward to go back :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends