“Very good property, with poor office staff”
Review of Nautibeach Condos

Nautibeach Condos
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
USA
“Very good property, with poor office staff”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a tough review for me because there are a lot of positives and one significant negative. The positives are: (1) a scenic property with attractive landscaping; (2) nice two bedroom condos (individually decorated, so some look better than others, but they all meet a minimum standard that is not fancy but something like a typical rental beach house); (3) a good location right on the beach and a quick walk to town; (4) a terrific cleaning staff who really work hard; (5) friendly and helpful security guards (we are sending one of them a gift for his son); (6) enough space for a family; (7) good ocean views from many (though not all) of the units; and (8) a reasonable price.

So why three stars rather than, say, four and a half? The front office staff was pretty bad. Very unprofessional, in my opinion. (And I have traveled extensively, including to every continent other than Antarctica, and to many developing countries, and have stayed in everything from super-luxury 5* resorts to bus stations, tents and youth hostels, so I don't think my standards are poorly informed or unreasonable). A few examples: First, they got our reservation dates wrong despite my very clearly telling them the dates that we wanted AND confirming the dates in writing. It took several calls, messages and emails to get this corrected. Second, they booked us on one of the most expensive transport services without telling us that there are well-regarded and materially less expensive options. (We only learned that once we got to the Island). Third, they neglected to make restaurant reservations that they promised to make for us. (As far as I can tell, they just did not bother to make the calls that they said they would make). Fourth, they told us that they had reserved a golf cart for us (and we confirmed this with them several times, just to make sure). When the day came, the office staff person told us "sorry we have for you no golf cart" and then just sort of giggled. When I politely protested that we have a reservation, she told us to come back in 20 minutes and they would have a cart for us. So I did that. But no cart. This continued for several hours, with her telling me, each time, while my family waited, "come back in 20 minutes and the cart will be here." But each time I came back, there was still no golf cart. When I told the desk person that it was unfair for her to keep stringing us along, her response was "maybe you should just cancel your golf cart reservation." Not a very good answer, of course. I asked her whether she could please call some other cart rental companies, to see whether they would have a cart for us, but she refused to do this. Eventually, after hours of waiting around, they gave us an old and broken down golf cart that someone else had returned because it did not work well. And for this they charged us a higher price than any other golf cart rental company I saw on the Island. (It was also 100 pesos per day higher than Nautibeach's own book said theywould charge for a golf cart rental). The cart they rented to us did not work well and stalled frequently. We later discovered that there were MANY other golf carts available on the island, at significantly lower prices than we paid -- though the front desk staff had indicated to me that this was not the case. After we returned the golf cart, the front desk person told me that Nautibeach rents the carts from a golf cart rental company on the island, but marks up the price so Nautibeach makes a profit on the rentals. Of course, that information was not shared with us until after we had returned and paid for our cart. When I said "wouldn't I be better off having rented directly from that company, and not paying your mark up?" the response was "yes, that would be better for you; you would pay less money that way." Finally, the day before we were to check out, the front desk agent told us we need to pay them for our transportation service to and from the airport. I told her we had already paid for this. Her response was "we have no record of that; you need to pay." Fortunately, I had a written receipt showing that we had paid. When I showed that to her, she said "Oh, OK, I guess you paid already." This may have been sloppiness or it may have been an unethical effort to extract another $100 from us. I don't know which it was -- but either way, it is not very good. I should add that I was very nice to the staff. I even gave them a very large fish that I caught, so they could share it for dinner. But they struck me as unprofessional, sloppy and unreliable.

All that is too bad because it really is a very good property in a nice location, and as I said the cleaning staff and security guards were terrific -- hard working, honest, friendly.

If this place could hire capable office staff, it would be a real winner. Even with the current, sub-optimal office staff, it is not a bad choice at all. Just make your own arrangements, and don't rely too much on the office people.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank onekbear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kemptville, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Let me start by saying that this was our 4th visit in less than 2 years to Isla. This was our first visit to Nautibeach and we will be returning. Our condo was a private rental Unit #11 and we were happy in every way. Our previous stays were at PA and Ixchel, both very nice and fancier than Nautibeach but without the Mexican feel. The location along with liitle things like cart parking and Security guards makes this place worth the stay. Everything is close and the beach is easliy accessible and uncrowded.
We really enjoyed Nautibeach and will be back.

2 Thank Wayne P
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Can't write anything negative about this place or Isla Mujeres. The place was super clean, cozy and a perfect location. We spent all day on the "private" beach or walking around the town. The condo felt like your own personal home. Staff were friendly and the maid scrubbed the rooms spotless. We would definitely book again as Isla Mujeres may be the best place to spend time in Mexico.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
brookline, ma
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I came to Nautibeach condos with my family and we all had an absolutely amazing time. The setting is unbeatable--the hotel lies right on North Beach, which is probably the nicest beach on Isla Mujeres, and one of the most amazing I have seen (the water color is incredible). The hotel also has a pool (albeit a slightly cold one during winter) and lovely gardens. The habitation itself was impeccable. Very spacious and comfortable, really nice terrace overlooking the ocean (not sure all suites feature this) and great beds. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown Isla Mujeres, and only a short taxi ride from the south of the island. I think this is one of the best hotels in Isla Mujeres, so I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: I recommend you try to get a room with a view of the ocean, since the view is spectacular
Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed 20 December 2013

LOVED this place. Absolute perfect location. Right on Playa Norte--and the bay is nearby to the west. Perfect NW location to enjoy the spectacular sunsets. Easy walking distance to the main town for restaurants and shops. Attached to the Sunset Grill so you can get margaritas, mojitos, beer and food right there and then enjoy it poolside or at the beach. Rooms were more than spacious. A/C. Service was excellent. Staff helped with planning day trips to Chichen Itza and golf cart rentals right to the hotel. Large Pool. cannot wait to go back. No reason to go anywhere else. Wife and I went for 10th wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: request pool/ocean view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 18 December 2013

On this trip to Isla I stayed at Nautibeach in unit 19. The condo was fresh and extremely clean. The service at the front desk was great. Gameba and the other staff were friendly and immediately addressed any concerns. We needed to reset the safe and the light outside our door on the exterior hallway was not working.

The reason I like this location for kids is the pool, beach and access to resturants. the kitchen also allows for eating in when a late dinner out will result in a restaurant meltdown. The pool is fantastic for kids when they need a break from the beautiful beachfront. It's a little cool, but kids don't care and I got use to it pretty quickly.

The grocery store, Chedraui, is located mid island. This is superior to the store at the north end. It is easy to cab it to and for the store.

Room Tip: Room 19 is clean and modern.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank islagrrl
China
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Because of the weather (wind), we were not able to use the beautiful Norte Beach for the first few days of our trip. The experience at Nautibeach without Norte Beach was just fair. We had fun by accessing some other beaches on the island and certainly enjoyed ourselves but the accommodations at Nautibeach are nothing special without Norte Beach. The last two days of our trip the wind shifted and the value of being on Norte Beach immediately became clear. Nautibeach is clean but certainly nothing fancy. The staff is indifferent at best. Don't go to Nautibeach if you are looking for resort level amenities and 5 star service or even 3 star service. If you are going for access to the beach, you will be thrilled.

Other:

Cold pool
Good access to main village
Construction in room next door with no announcement or apologies
Food at Sunset Grill next door to the pool was average.

Room Tip: No kids activities or fitness center but couldn't figure out how to leave those blank.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family