“Good Location, Average Room”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good Location, Average Room”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

The best part about this hotel were the amazing views from the room and the fresh air that blows through lobby and hallways. Located on the northern tip of the island it would be nearly impossible to got get a room with an ocean or water view. One entire side of the hotel is a safe and shallow swimming/beach area that is kid or adult friendly with soft sand and crystal clear water. You would have to go out over 100 yards to reach deeper waters. This area is also very near the downtown area of Isla Mujeres where the majority of restaurants, bars, and shopping areas are. We walked every night to the downtown area and never were scared or felt unsafe. The only complaint I have about this hotel are the small, poorly lit rooms. There were only 2 of us with suitcases and there was barely enough room to move around, more than 2 people would have been challenging. There was no alarm clock and niether of the bedside lamps were fuctioning.

Room Tip: Ask for new section of hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank TeachMKE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We had seen the hotel from the bay last year and made it a goal to come back-it is too bad that the incredible location is spoiled by such a gross hotel. The rooms were sad, lights not functioning, a/c unit a roaring behemoth in the corner. No reading lights, our "mattress" was actually the box springs of the next room's bed.
The wait staff focuses on gimmicks rather than service-the waiter bringing morning juice with the glass on his head was funny the first time but when we didn't tip enough(15%?) we got the post-tip snub. If you like Las Vegas style buffets full of cheap food, this place is for you. We couldn't get poolside service.
The very worst part was the activities director ruining what could have been a peaceful day with incessant music, singing into the microphone over the music and banal commentary. We asked to have the speakers turned down at least a dozen times and were met with hatefullness.
Our second night we tried to escape the noise by going across the bay to the lovely NaBalom hotel for dinner and the disco crap from the Avalon could be heard even there. So sad.
I *thought* Playa Norte was THE place to be on Isla, but we rented a golf cart one day and found that the rest of the island has many good sites. I would not recommend the hotel Avalon at any price.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank nmsewell55

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My family and I spent 2 weeks at the Avalon Reef May 14th-28th, 2011. It was wonderful for all. Scuba and snorkeling could be done from the property. From the time we arrived until departure, we were made to feel very comfortable. The staff was very
accommodating and was ready to assist whenever you need it.. The facial smiles and friendliness were plentiful. There is a fine group of employees working at The Reef, including housekeeping, restaurant servers, bar tenders, front desk staff, gardeners, supervisors, etc. If anyone disagrees with this statement, they have an attitude problem.
I cannot speak Spanish and some of the staff speak very little English, but we had fun with different ways of communication.
The food was delicious and the Pico de gallo and quacomole was the best on the island. There breakfast was outstanding having a large variety of food to select from.

The studios, suites, etc., were plainly decorated but they were clean and given fresh linens each day. There are no signs in the rooms asking you to reuse your towels or sleep on the same sheets. I sure hated to leave as always, but I intend to return within the year. My favorite place for a vacation.

Room Tip: The ocean view Villas give you spectacular views.
3 Thank 1marya
Chico, California
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My group consisted of my boyfriend, his sister, and her husband. Their family had traded their timeshare at the Maui Westin to book a week's vacation at the Avalon Reef.
During the morning of our flight I checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor...I wish we had done this sooner. I can't believe people gave this hotel even 2 stars.
Upon arrival (and after hearing multiple guests complain before us) we were given a room with an adjoining living room. This wouldn't have been so bad except we had specifically asked for two king size beds AND the living room had a love seat...that didn't miraculously transform into a bed. The staff member who came to assist us didn't really understand that there was NO way 4 people could be accomodated in this room.
Eventually we were taken to 2 king size rooms. They were just as disgusting as the first.
We were so disappointed we left after not even 24 hours.
I took pictures of how disgusting, unkempt, and rundown the rooms were. 15 years ago, these hotel rooms MIGHT have been decent. But rumour has it that the owner got caught by the American gov. for Ponzi schemes and the gov. has NOT kept up this resort.
The location is beautiful and we really were looking forward to putting around on scooters all over the island. But bright and early the next morning we were transferred to a hotel on mainland Cancun.
The beds were hard, mold was prevalent, stains decorated the walls/ceiling, and the air conditioning didn't turn off...ever.
I wouldn't put my worst enemy here.

4 Thank cgsoccer12
McHenry, Illinois
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I had a wonderful time at Avalon Reef Resort, the staff was Fabulous, Diana was so helpful always tring to make the stay as comfortable as posible. Housekeeping was
great with any extra needs. The wait staff and resturant managers Alejandro, Joel and
all the help were fantastic. Diana even assisted when the transportation for the departure was mixed up. They made my stay seamless. The resort location is great, the ocean is
beautiful, an islet of the Island...perfect. I cannot wait to go back in September.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank scubafan_11
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed at the Avalon twice this year, once in Feb 2011 with my significant other and returned again in April to celebrate a friend's birthday. My son and his fiancee also were there at the same time in April. Both trips were just great and all of us agreed the Avalon is the best place to stay on the island. The location just can't be beat. You have the privacy of the resort and the easy access to the town which I think is the best of both worlds. I loved having the snorkeling right out your door in the lagoon and the King's Bath. We stayed in the villas which I think were quite comfortable. We requested a few missing items for our room on arrival (bedside reading light, microwave and additional chair for the balcony) and these were all cheerfully delivered on request. The breakfast buffet is very good and the other food/drinks we had there were also good and reasonably priced. In Feb. we signed up for their Valentine's Day Dinner special and I would have to say it was one of the most well prepared and well presented meals I have ever had. It included 4 courses, wine and was served at a table by the water. I even asked to thank the chef personally I was so impressed. The price was about $25 per person and I even got a rose. I have been coming to Isla for a number of years and have always enjoyed my stay at the Avalon. I think they have worked hard to maintain this place and I believe it has improved in the past few years. I think that the Avalon may not meet the standards of some who are needing more amenities but that's fine because they should stay somewhere else. I think it is important to remember that EVERYTHING on this island needs to be transported in by boat! This is Mexico and I love the experience that I always have when I come here. I am already planning to return next year.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Diane3412
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The Avalon Reef is tolerable only if you stay in a "villa," which isn't what it sounds like but is like a studio apartment in a 2-level building consisting of 4 such units.

I booked this hotel through Travelocity, which was charging $20 more per night to book a villa rather than the tower. I thought, "it can't be much better for only $20" and figured I'd just upgrade when I got there if the room was unbearable. Well, of course it was -- and when I told the front desk that I'd like to move to a villa, I was told that it would cost another $50 per night. "Online is different," I was told. Which I understand, but that's a big margin. I got them down to $40/night and made the switch. The villa featured ants, a hairy shower and a non-functioning microwave, but it was 20 times better than the tower room. As much as I don't go on vacation to hang out in my hotel room, the tower room was just awful and depressing.

Anyway, learn from my mistake: book the villa before you go. The villa didn't really enhance my vacation, but the tower room would have ruined it.

A tip I would give to the hotel's management is to just give guests wireless internet access for free, already. It's 2011. It's a small thing you could do that would make a big, big difference in how we perceive and remember your hospitality.

3 Thank Puppimus