“We LOVE Avalon Reef Club!!! Will go back for sure!”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We travelled here on an anniversary vacation sans kids. I recommend this for couples not really that kid friendly if you're looking for kids club vacation etc.

I was nervous having read all the mixed reviews. I did read on review that really sold it for me. If you're looking for glitz and glamour and 7 star accomodations, don't book here. If you're the sort of traveller who appreciates privacy, good food, and a one of a kind beach then Avalon Reef could be the perfect place for you.
If romance, private islands, and tranquility on a budget is what you're looking for... then go here!

Did I mention Private Island on a budget?? To me that is enough to go anywhere!

Yes, the rooms are minimal, but you're in Mexico. The room was always kept very clean, A/C/ was freezing. The day we got there I did not like the view so they moved us immediately. The staff there was amazing and so kind. Below I've reviewed it in even more detail.

I love the intimacy of this hotel. The staff is so friendly, especially in the dining area. The hotel is situated on its own private island off the Island of Isla Mujeres; just a short ferry ride from Cancun. It is an older hotel but it is not run down and still retains its charm.

The rooms range from standard to deluxe villas. You can choose from the all inclusive plan or just a room. I experienced the standard room all inclusive. It was a bare room with nothing too special about it. It was clean, had a shower, a/c, and beautiful view of the ocean. We were not in the room much so we did not mind it's simplicity. We did try to upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi which I will do the next time we return...they book up fast!

The food here is amazing...especially for an all inclusive. The chef takes great pride in his menu. He is always around the premises talking to people asking how the food is. We were here for Thanksgiving, and I actually gave the chef some input to the menu...thanks to me we had some great green beans :-) It was one of the best Thanksgiving meals I ever had (sorry mom).

The beach is AMAZZING!! You can walk what seems for miles in crystal clear water that comes as deep as your waist. The hotel also has it's own "natural pool" surrounded by rocks. Giant waves crash against the rocks as you swim in the tranquil pool - it is quite an awesome experience! There is also great snorkeling all around the hotel.

My only negative reviews are with the pool. It was very small, but honestly with a beach like this you don't care about the pool!! There was no jacuzzi at the pool either. My main negative review is that there were no hammocks for lounging. I love to lay in a hammock when I'm in Mexico.

The town of Isla Mujeres is so vibrant. I highly suggest renting the "suv" golf carts and take a tour of the city. There are great bars, restaurants, juice bars, and markets for souvenirs.

I will definitely return here someday soon. I recommend this hotel more for couples than families. There is one small play area for children, however it's in the middle of the hot sun and looks like it would be painful to go down the slide. There is no kids club or onsite babysitting.

I just want to thank the staff for making our trip there so memorable and romantic - they even sent us an anniversary card on our anniversary.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to the jacuzzi rooms
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shaktimama
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear Guest
please come back!!! we would love to have you again with us.
HAving the Avalon Reef to spend your Anniversary was a real honor for us.
We really hope you bring your kids in your next visit. Thanks to your reviews we will make sure they also have a great time.
Thank you again for your kind review.!

There are newer reviews for Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

Reviewed 15 June 2011

This was my first stay at Avalon Reef Club. Friends and I stayed one full week and I found it to be delightful. The food, I only ate the breakfast and guacamole, was delicious. Our room was basic. The beds must be new because they were firm and super comfortable. Our room stayed very comfortable by a stand alone a/c unit, 24hrs. room service-yum! Only down side for me was there was only one complimentary coffee packet, had to pay for more. Plus the a/c never reaches the bathroom in the room. So the bath is a bit warm and humid. The staff was friendly, took good care of us. Massage services at the hotel was better than I expected. Although it was in one of the hotel rooms, the therapist was professional and the room had perfect massage ambiance. We stayed on the beach everyday all day. Umbrellas and chairs and drink/food service provided at the beach. The staff kept the beach clean. Good value for travel to Isla if you are not hanging out in your room all day. We also got a golf cart delivered to the hotel. I wish Avalon Reef would provide a shuttle from the hotel to the ferry, but taxi was only 40 pesos. I would definitely return to the Avalon Reef Club on my next visit to Isla Mujeres.

Room Tip: ask for 2 double beds some rooms have twin beds
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gardenmint
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed at Avalon for long weekend with friends in January, 2011.

We paid a small price to upgrade to one of the villa "suites." Well worth it. We had a nice ocean view from our balcony, and the villa roooms were larger than the tower rooms that some of our travel companions chose. Our room was clean and comfortable.

The property sits at the northwest end of Isla Mujeres on its own island, connected by a walking bridge. The beach at the hotel was small, but the swinning area was excellent. We did venture to other nice beach areas of Isla Mujeres to soak up the sun a couple days.

The restaurant/bar service was just okay, and definately overpriced for the island. The breakfast buffet was nice, but also expensive. There are many excellent food and drink options just a short walk away.

The staff were friendly and accomodating.

The pool area was small, but clean. We spent very little time there as it is tucked next to the tower, and therefore not a great place to enjoy the sun. With such beautiful waters surrounding the resort, the pool was of little need.

The Island has a very relaxed attitude. Friendly people everywhere. Lots of dining options. Not much of a club scene, but that's not why people go to the Island. If you are looking for a chilled-out beach destination--Isla is it.

Traveler tip: Use your credit card for food and drink purchases at Avalon. When doing so, you will pay in Pesos rather than US Dollars. This way, you will get a much, much better exchange rate than you get on the Island.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank smithboyrd
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband and I recently booked a trip through a timeshare exchange to the Avalon Reef Club. After reading so many bad reviews we used a bonus week to book another hotel in Cancun in case it was as bad as we were reading.

We checked into the back-up hotel first and were very impressed with the resort so we knew no matter what we found at Avalon we would be okay for the week. I will say that us checking into the Royal Cancun - Royal Resorts first probably jaded our opinion of the Avalon Reef Club a little, but not much.

The hotel is in a beautiful location and we were able to exchange into a villa. The front desk clerk was nice and got us checked in with no problem. The bell boy took us and our bags to our room and pointed out certain parts of the hotel that we would need to know about. He was very nice.

The room was.........boring. Bed wasn't too uncomfortable (after our first night we noticed that they added a cushion without us having to ask) and everything was clean but there were some things that definitely needed updating. All in all we were glad we were only going to stay a couple of nights. The room was missing the microwave we were supposed to have. The fan in the bedroom never turned off and the fan in the living room area never turned on and most of the lights didn't work there either. We were only staying for a couple of nights so we didn't make a fuss.

The beach area was okay and the pool was clean when we went. Small but never crowded.

24 hour room service was great and very timely except the tray sat out on the front porch area for a long time before anyone picked it up. Restaurant was reasonable priced and good food, but we did find less expensive in town. It was really easy to get to town by walking and I highling recommend grabbing a golf cart to see the island. The breakfast buffett was okay but we never eat enough breakfast to cover the cost. I will say that when we were checking out the couple that was checking in got a much better explanation of things (towel cards, breakfast buffet package etc) that we didn't even know existed.

All in all it was an okay stay. I am glad we weren't there for the week but mainly because I knew we had a nicer resort booked in Cancun. If you go with the idea in your head that it is a 5 star resort you will be dissappointed, but if you know what you are getting it was just fine.

Again, we were staying in the villas not in the tower......

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gnaxoxo07
Reviewed 5 June 2011

The Avalon is the only place we’ve stayed on Isla Mujeres that we would never return to. The hotel staff were not at all friendly and didn’t seem to care whether we were there or not, which is so NOT like our other experiences in Isla Mujeres. The beds in Mexico are hard in general but this bed was like sleeping on box springs. We had to put the blanket under the fitted sheet to make it bearable. There was only one chair on our balcony but they did bring another when I asked. We tipped the cleaning staff however every day we had to call and ask for something they didn’t leave, such as a bath mat or clean towels. I put a card on the bed every other day not to change the sheets to conserve water but when they took our dirty towels, it would be nice if they would leave a clean one! Yes the rooms were air conditioned but the unit was so noisy it kept us awake. Like the sound of the ocean waves, but not the wind howling in through the sliding door that did not seal well. They make you wear wrist bands even though it’s not all inclusive because nobody is allowed on the property unless they are staying there. We had friends staying at the Villa Vera who wanted to come over and watch the sunset with us and they weren’t allowed to even do that. Management said if they wanted to come to our room, they would have to be escorted by a bellman who would wait until they left. Give me a break! Needless to say we spent a lot of time at their pool at the Villa Vera since they weren’t allowed at ours. Of course it was so filthy we would not have gotten in the pool anyhow. The pictures of the loungers in the water are a joke because the cushions are absolutely filthy and nobody was using them. The pool bar was never open. We took a small ice chest as we always do to take beer to the beach but at the Avalon you’re not allowed to take your own beverages to the pool or beach. Another reason to hang out at the Villa Vera. We drank some of our own there but also purchased food and drinks. I ordered one beer at the Avalon and it cost $4!!! Wifi is $15 a day which of course is free at the Villa Vera. One day we asked the “guard” who sits at the property entrance to call a cab and he said to walk across the bridge and we could get one. One of our party tried to use the gym and it was smelly, stuffy, with no AC or even a fan. The last day we tried to sit by the beach but the bingo game going on at the bar was so annoying we had to leave. If we wanted party games we would go on a cruise. The showers are seriously outdated and toilets didn’t flush well. Hot water was turned off almost every day which didn’t really bother us. The “kitchenette” had 2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives, 2 plates, and 2 coffee cups, a blender, and a coffee pot. Our experience booking through Orbitz was perfect, just not the Avalon. We had read mixed reviews so went with an open mind. For the money, you can do a lot better than the Avalon.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Texan
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Dear Guest,
we are sorry for not fullfilling your excpectations while staying at the Avalon Reef . Eventhough, thank you for your comments and your review.

Reviewed 2 June 2011

I read alot of varying reviews and was a little apprehensive about staying here, but we loved it. The standard rooms are definitely small by American standards, and we immediately transferred to a villa, which was fabulous. It had a small kitchen and a good-sized bathroom for me and my two daughters. Some things are erratic, but that is pretty normal for Mexico, and once you call attention to it, the staff takes care of you. For example, a coffeepot, an extra blanket, more towels, etc. Alot of people mentioned hard beds; we thought they were fine. They also rolled in an extra bed for my teenager at no additional charge. The staff was great. And the location is one-of-a-kind; I wouldn't stay anywhere else, because the snorkling areas you have access to are the best on the island.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lacoose504

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your kind review. It is a joy to read that you and your family had a good time at Avalon Reef.
thank you!

Reviewed 1 June 2011

The best part about this hotel were the amazing views from the room and the fresh air that blows through lobby and hallways. Located on the northern tip of the island it would be nearly impossible to got get a room with an ocean or water view. One entire side of the hotel is a safe and shallow swimming/beach area that is kid or adult friendly with soft sand and crystal clear water. You would have to go out over 100 yards to reach deeper waters. This area is also very near the downtown area of Isla Mujeres where the majority of restaurants, bars, and shopping areas are. We walked every night to the downtown area and never were scared or felt unsafe. The only complaint I have about this hotel are the small, poorly lit rooms. There were only 2 of us with suitcases and there was barely enough room to move around, more than 2 people would have been challenging. There was no alarm clock and niether of the bedside lamps were fuctioning.

Room Tip: Ask for new section of hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends