“Shame - luck of capable management is distroing beautiful jewel”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Be ready for bunch of unexpecting surprises
New "owner"and new name
No service for member as before-not any letter or email with listed changes and proper introduction for us as members
Construction during busy seasons-could be tolerate if all else is up to dicent level
Beach is cleaned only if someone is complained- in past every evening is cleaned and chairs organized -now you have to be lucky if you find unocupade chair
When I ask Omar- new person in charge of ?? Did they how many guest they have and how many breach chair they need answer was they order them but chairs are in Cancun!!!!!! He was,nt capable for anything except some unhelpful smile
Kings bath - beautiful small pool full of fish on Carabien side was clean by guest since request to be clean of debris was'nt be done
Clearly is extreme luck of guide and organization is heading to disaster if something is not change will be neede some serious management , for now this is joke and nonprofessional
We like this place and could not believe that is heading for disaster
Hope this help and result in some positive outlook

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Villy158

Reviewed 23 December 2013

So here is the good, bad and ugly with the new Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, formally known as the Avalon Reef Club. I had a conversation with a long time guest who stated, “this is the worst condition you will see this hotel….hopefully by next year, it will be grand again.” The property has just been purchased and the entire property is going under a renovation. I was expecting this as it has been mentioned here on TA for the past month, but this bit of information is not mentioned anywhere on the new resort website or any of the online booking venues. So please be prepared for construction.

This evaluation is based on a one week stay (Dec 14 – 21) with my wife and her brother and his family. Through Interval International, we booked two villas consisting of two rooms each – consisting of identical master bedroom with a connecting bedroom with either twin beds or twin beds placed as a couch, two baths, and small quasi kitchenette in each room. Villas are either on the Cancun side or the Caribbean Sea side, lower level or upper level.

Check in was smooth for a Saturday, given our wrist bands to identify us as guests (note that if you lose the wrist band, resort policy is to charge the guest $50…why I have no idea.) Beach towel cards – don’t lose them either as it is a requirement to turn them in at checkout. (Cost of lost towels or towel check out cards is $30 per) We were given our welcome drink tickets and headed out to the beach while we waited for our rooms.

Our room was located Caribbean side and had a great view of the sea and crashing waves. (Note – if you are a light sleeper, you may opt for a room on the Cancun side, as the waves ARE crashing right outside of the room. There were a few nights when I thought the water was coming into the room.) Nice king sized bed that is rather hard – which is normal here in the Yucatan Peninsula. (Note – knowing that the bed was hard, I took the advice of a previous TA review and had requested a foam mattress at check-in time and then again that evening when we left the property for dinner, unfortunately it took four requests and was not placed on the bed until Monday.) The rooms were adequately furnished, nothing special. The bathroom did have small spots of blood spatter on the floor and wall that I assumed was from somebody cleaning a fish. I never brought it to house keeping’s attention as I wanted to see if it ever was cleaned during our stay….and when we left, blood spots still in the bathroom. The AC in the room was fantastic.

My brother-in-law and his family were not so lucky with room assignment. They were on the Cancun side as requested, however the back of their villa backed up to where the work crews were sawing and assembling for the renovation. Their view consisted of work material and the sound of skill / chain saws in the morning.

The pool was not open during the majority of our stay and opened up on Friday. The outdoor bar area is still under construction and by the looks of it will not be open until January / February time frame. This time it will be an outdoor restaurant with a bar. The bar will also function as a swim up bar – though it is not functioning at this time.

The beaches – there used to be three beaches, but the smaller one on the southeast side of the bridge has washed away. The beach with the palapas between the restaurant and the villas is open – HOWEVER it is right next to the renovation material staging area and construction zone and was not used that often given the noise. We did not use the beach during our stay and opted to use the beach at Na Balam. We could hear the construction noise all the way over at Na Balam.

Activities – None. We did see a massage table located out at the gazebo at the point near the Villas…but never did we see it being used or did we see any advertisement for massages. Our favorite dive shop / scuba center by the villas has been closed, which is one of the reasons why we chose to stay here. (For those interested in scuba diving, Tony has a booth open up at Na Balam)

Here is a list of the activities & services listed on the Mia website that are were NOT offered during our stay: (so much for truth in advertising)

Services & Amenities
• Pool Bar
• Mía Express Pool
• Private dock – this is actually being torn down.
• Kayaks and bicycles
• Kids Club Open from 10:00am – 5:00pm (4 years – 11 years old)
• Massage service ($)
• Marina inside the Resort ($)
• Gift Boutique ($)

ALL INCLUSIVE FEATURES
• Mexican Gourmet restaurant "Las Marias".
• MIA REEF Kids Club: 10:00 hrs. to 17:00 hrs. (from 4-11 years)
• Daily recreational activities:
• Pool Tables Available.
• Beach Volleyball.
• Bicycle Tour.
• Night entertainment: Caribbean Night, Karaoke Night and MIA REEF party:

But thanks to TA and the reviews, my wife and I knew what type of stay we were going to have so our expectations were nowhere near what was advertised. For us, there were no surprises and we went with the matra – “it is what it is….this is Mexico so let’s make the best of it.”

Checkout went smoothly, we made certain we had our wrist bands, our pool towel cards, and the bill was correct. Unfortunately, the checkout for my brother-in-law did not go as smoothly as there were some over charge errors on the breakfast bills and when he brought it to the clerk’s attention, she would not credit him as he had already signed the bills, as she stated. Interesting to note that the clerk took back the guest survey for him fill out.

Clearly this resort is not ready for prime time as of yet and is nowhere near the five star resort that it advertises to be. So if you are looking for and expecting a five star resort, at this time the Mia Reef (Avalon) is not for you. However, with that being said, I think Mia might be able to live up to its promise in about a year. In the meantime, if you don’t mind a resort that is going through some growing pains, renovations and can go with the flow, the Mia might meet your vacation needs. After all, it is located on the best part of the island.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the villas....seaside has waves and solitude while the Cancun side has a view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank SpazCat
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Amazing location with wonderful staff. There. I've said everything nice I can say. I hope the island's jail cells are nicer than the rooms, because no one is that bad. The bed (The first single I've slept in since college), was hard as a board. The window opened 10" and leaked like a hose. The A/C was as loud as a B-52 taking off, and was only effective to drown out my moans about the heat. There may be a water heater for the shower, but I can't prove it. The lobby floor is an ugly maze. The gate guard blasts bad music all night long, which can be mitigated by turning on the aforementioned A/C. The staff's primary job is apologizing, and they're truly excellent at it. They alone earned a second star from me.

• Stayed: December 2013
10  Thank senioreeter
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were not told this resort was under construction - I even called Apple questioning it based on other reviews. We arrive to find no bar, no pool, beach area a complete disaster from the construction, specifically requested and asked twice if this was a smoker friendly resort and was told yes. I .. More>
We were not told this resort was under construction - I even called Apple questioning it based on other reviews. We arrive to find no bar, no pool, beach area a complete disaster from the construction, specifically requested and asked twice if this was a smoker friendly resort and was told yes. It's not. Was handed a flyer at check in indicating no smoking ANYWHERE on the property, as well as absolutely no outside food or drinks permitted anywhere on the property. We requested to be upgraded to one of the Villas and while the resort was clearly not booked full in any way, paid an additional $250 USD for the upgrade. The room was infested with ants. I took a can of "OFF"and sprayed down the entire bathroom, kitchenette area and an entire trail of ants coming around one of the walls. Our air conditioner leaked water so badly we had to put towels down on the floor. Room was stocked with only two bath towels and one wash cloth... We could not find a single restaurant in the resort and walked into town every night for dinner. The beach was so horrible, we walked across the bridge to the Fenix Beach Club and for FREE, enjoyed beach beds, umbrellas, tables and beach side service. Ate and drank all day for $65 USD. The views and location of the Avalon (Mia) Reef Club are ALL that it has going for it and I most certainly will never stay here again. Do NOT believe those saying, oh, it's not so bad. Its TERRIBLE. Not what I would expect from Apple and certainly not what I would expect from a resort. Hugely disappointed in this resort - and this was our first wedding anniversary trip. I truly feel like we deserve a refund or compensation for this. I called Apple TWICE about this resort before we EVER left on this trip.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. Period.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank myjenyoung
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Just arrived home from a 9 day stay at Avalon Reef and was pleasantly surprised by what a great experience we had. The rooms are sparse, just bed, nightstand, TV and small desk, and yes, the windows did leak a little when it rained, but it wasn't a big deal. The rain at the time was quite heavy and there were strong winds with it. I can understand having some leakage happen. We just made sure there was nothing on the floor that would be affected if it got to be a huge leak. The hotel is currently under construction but we weren't bothered by that too much as they weren't using any loud power tools or anything that created a lot of noise so that wasn't an issue for us. We loved the beach around the hotel. My kids especially loved the way fish would follow you around while you swam and we saw sea urchins (in the King's bath), crabs, and stingrays as well without having to leave our resort. The staff are very quiet, but respectful and would go above and beyond at even the simplest request. I don't find there is much customer service anywhere anymore so this was a pleasant surprise.
This resort is beautiful, has a lot of potential but needs a little work. We are looking forward to seeing the end results when the work is done because in our opinion it is the best place to stay on the entire island.

Room Tip: Make sure to wear aqua shoes in the water as we got pinched a couple of times by crabs. There is a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank daphne7
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We just returned from a 10-day stay at what was formerly known as Avalon Reef Club. The name has now changed (as have the owners) to Mia Reef Club. Both the pool and bar were still being renovated but we did see the enormous progress during our stay and, judging by the pictures of the finished product, it will be stunning.

We are members and Avalon is our home membership. We were told that they are planning to turn Mia into a five-star all-inclusive resort complete with wind surfing, kayak rentals etc. Yes they do have a long way to go. Not so much on the exterior surroundings but in the hotel rooms themselves. We, however, have stayed there often enough (and also held our 100+ wedding there 3 years ago) to know some shortcuts.

Firstly, as soon as you check in, ask the front reception to have a Maid provide your bed with a foam mattress pad. It is not something that they do unless asked. Secondly, my husband always lifts the mattress and removes two or three planks from the centre of the bed...with the foam mattress in place and the number of planks decreased, it makes an incredible difference to your level of comfort.

We found the front desk staff to be very friendly (Aracelli and Victor especially) and had Maid service every day except Sundays (which is a Union issue, not an Avalon/Mia one). The food at the resort is very good and we ate our lunch on the beach every day.

We always try to stay in the Villas to be closer to the ocean and, yes they are tired, but the stunning view and closeness to the water more than makes up for the older pieces of furniture. We had no issue with our air conditioner and there was a brand new TV in our room. We could see that, little by little, they are definitely making positive changes but, seems how every piece of furniture etc has to be bought in over the bridge (where there is vehicle size and weight capacity restrictions), it will take some time.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is willing to trade in some in-room comforts for the sheer location of Mia Reef Club. The lagoon is shallow, warm and perfect for swimming. There is an incredible snorkeling area on the other side of the bridge (and let's not forget the King's Bath in the resort itself which boasts a vast array of very tame, tropical fish just waiting to be hand fed). I am a smoker and had no issue smoking on my balcony or in any public unenclosed area (another guest here noted it was not permitted). We also had very good beach service and grew very fond of Marteen and his pet Seagull named "Javier" that he hand feeds on a daily basis, and the great service offered by Ephrem, Jesus, Saul and the rest of the team.

My husband and myself have already booked to stay there again in April and cannot wait to cross that bridge into paradise!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank dfish65
Reviewed 22 November 2013

From the windows that leak according to the front desk clerk for the very first time. To the bed that felt like sleeping on a cement platform. To the smell of raw sewage everytime you flush the toilet. I would not recommend this resort to anyone! The pool was closed due to a new resturant being under construction. Nothing reduced upon complaints.....Was told they had no one on duty at 9:30pm to come clean up the water that was pouring into the room! They wouldn't even supply the coffee to the rooms without additional costs why have a coffee pot in the rooms than? No room service.....Totally the worst place we have stayed!

Room Tip: Stay away from this place........
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple