“Avalon gets a name change”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I have been timeshare owners at the Avalon Reef Club for many years. Over time we have watched the property decline due to poor management by the owners.

We arrived in mid November for a 1 week stay and discovered there was major construction going on at the resort. The outside bar was being totally reconstructed from the ground up and the pool was also closed for renovations. We were not given any notice by either Avalon or our timeshare when we booked our week. We also learned upon arrival that the resort had been sold to a Mexican group and the new name is MIA Reef.

While we are very happy to see new owners because the resort needs pretty much a complete renovation inside we were very unhappy that we were not notified. We usually bring family with us and we would have been very upset to have them see the resort as it was in November. In addition to not having a bar and swimming pool the main beach was also closed as that is where a lot of the building materials were being stored.

I am hopeful that the future of the Avalon Reef Club (now MIA Reef) will be a bright one and that the owners will put the money that is needed into the property. It is a wonderful location but as timeshare owners we have been left in the dark as to where we stand with our timeshare. As one of the original timeshare "owners" we were given a separate "members bar". After several years this was closed and we used the regular beach bar (which was under renovation and so closed) and as part of our contract we were given free drinks during the day. Upon arriving in November we were told that the new owners had discontinued this policy. We also understand that the new owners plan to start selling timeshares once the remodeling has been complete. I guess time will tell but during our stay there were many timeshare owners who were very unhappy and uncertain about our future at the Avalon.

Room Tip: The best rooms are either the tower rooms with their own private balcony or in the villas. The regu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarriedinMx2003

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is what I get for not checking with Trip Advisor prior to going to a hotel (my husband thought I checked and I thought he did).

First of all, I will say the waitstaff and housekeeping were excellent. The view from the room, also excellent.

However, the bad definitely outweighs the good here. First of all, they are reconstructing the whole place. The only decent part of the hotel was the pool/bar area and that's because it had already been done. The rest of the hotel is, at the best, basic.

Their "free" wifi in the lobby is run on an ancient access point that has to be rebooted every five minutes or so.

The people behind the counter at reception are surly and argumentative. Another couple we spoke with said their reservation was lost and they had to spend 3 hours in the lobby waiting for staff to sort out their error.

For me, the big thing was, the front desk wanted to charge me to make a dinner reservation for my husband and I. They claim they were charging me for the phone rates. I told them to forget it and called them myself. This, and the "gym". The "gym" had a elliptical which had obviously been hand-repaired and welded. Didn't work. And the treadmill wouldn't turn on. It was plugged into an outlet that was falling out of the wall. So no gym.

And the fact that they want to charge $30 per lost towel. Those towels are no more that $5.00 each. Gee, wonder where the rest is going?

I'm hoping this place is fabulous when it's done, but man, it's a long way from done.

Oh, and it's not all-inclusive - only breakfast is included.

I would recommend going somewhere else besides here, unless you want very basic.

-Gilli

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gillicanty
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is hands down the worst vacation hotel experience that I have ever had. The hotel is in total disrepair. The staff is rude and surly. The beds are like rocks. The only good thing that I can say is that the location is beautiful.
We stayed in the villas and the room was old and dumpy. The furniture was a joke and everything was damp and moldy. The bed was hard and lumpy. The TV was from the 80's and barely worked. They left my husband and I exactly two small bath towels. No wash cloth, no hand towels and no floor mat. The floor was slippery and a hazard.

There was a mini coffee pot in the room but no coffee. We asked for a packet and they told us us that they would have to charge us for the gross packaged coffee. What a joke.

The staff was rude and surly. When we checked in, I wondered why there were people ahead of us arguing at the front desk. I soon knew why. Victor checked us in and insisted that I wear a cheap plastic bracelet 24 x 7. We were not on the all inclusive plan thank god. The bracelets cannot be removed. I refused and he actually argued with me that it is a private resort and that I must wear it. I still refused. He was beyond rude. Next, my family was staying at another hotel on the island and they refused to let my brother come to my room because it was against their policy to do so. He had to wait for me in the lobby. I am sure the hotel knows that it looks better on the outside and they don't want people to see the horrible condition of the rooms.

The food was awful. We did not eat there and walked the 15 minutes into town.

The room next to ours partied until 6:30am for 3 nights in a row. We asked for help and the only thing they did was call their room. We could hear the phone ring.

We paid a ton of money to stay there. It was by far the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at. The only way to fix this place is to demolish it and hire nice people. I would rather sleep in a car to stay at a Motel 6. I would rather get bed bugs than stay here.

Room Tip: You would be better off sleeping in a trash can.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lorring H
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I agree with sir-veyor...still a great place to stay...perhaps the hotel has issues but the villas are wonderful. I guess it really depends if you want an all inclusive or want to experience this fabulous spot. Even the stormy winds were a delight to watch from the northnside!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dktd
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Avalon Reef Club from 14 Dec. 2013 to 21Dec. 2013. We went to Isla Mujeres from an absolutely gorgeous condo which we had rented for a week on the north side of Cozumel on the beach opposite the airport. As a result of the perfect week on Cozumel and based on recent reviews of the Avalon I think my expectations were for a bad to worse second week. I was very pleasantly surprised.

We stayed in one of the one bedroom villas on the easterly or windward side of the little island, Islote Yunque, upon which the facility is located. The setting is really incredible and the unit we had on the second floor the rear of which looked right out over the "King's Bath" and the crashing surf of the windward side of the Island. Walking out the front door and proceeding about 100 feet brought you to an overlook on the leeward side of the island with a beautiful and more typical calm caribbean scene looking out towrd Cancun in the distance.

The Unit itself was quite large and moderately furnished and the Bed, while on the hard side, was not nearly as odious as some reviews might indicate. Kitchen facilities were a bit more minimal than I might have liked but the nearness of wonderful restaurants at great prices made that less important to us than might otherwise have been the case. We found the service and housekeeping to be very good and the people to be consistently engaged and friendly. I truely believe the new ownership is working hard to upgrade the resort.

The pool was open and in use toward the end of our stay and though we prefer the ocean the pool area looks as though it will ultimately be very nice. There is still some construction going on around the perifery of the pool and in the area of the Beach Bar/Restarant, Kelly's, but while there were people there working hard every day, they were not intrusive and seemed to be doing the best they could to get done what they had to do with the least possible interference in the day to day operation of the resort.

We found the drinks at Kelly's to be good and the quality of the food to be decent (though not up to the standards of some of the wonderful places in town). The other restaurant on the property was not open during our visit.

All things considered, I was pleased with the facility and especially their attitude which would seem to bode well for the future. Certainly the physical site is spectacular enough to warrant the development of a first class operation. Iwould recommend keeping an open m ind about this resort and wish them the best.

Room Tip: Second story villas on the east (windward) side, spectacular!
8  Thank sir-veyor
Reviewed 1 January 2014

One positive: great location. Beds: hard as ROCK, A/C loud and barely worked, phone in my daughter's room didn't work - because there was not a phone jack to plug into! Staff was not helpful, housekeeping would remove towels and not replace them! No restaurants as advertisted, only a breakfast buffet, not enough loungers on beach - had to get one by 7:30 am or you would not have one. Why don't they buy more?? NO seating at the pool, only 4 wooden loungers built into the pool. Pool looked nice, but again never used it as no seating. Lots of noise due to construction, windows didn't work properly. We had an issue with our last night reservation through Expedia. We discussed with the staff as soon as we checked in, 5 days later they were still telling us "don't worry, you will have a room" and were even told THEY were going to contact Expedia. Well they didn't and after much frustration and harsh words with the staff we left and spent our last night at Privileges (wonderful place). I have NEVER been so disapointed in the service at a "resort". Total false advertising about the services and activities offered. I saw they had some TVs in boxes and saw a couple of new mattesses so maybe they are making progress. I would expect it to take $10million to get this place up to standard.

Room Tip: We had a "basic" room and it was bare bones, maybe a suite is nicer, but this place has to...
5  Thank Patty R
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Been to the island many times... this place is a long, long, long way for being a place you pay to stay. There needs to be a zero star option. I can only imagine the folks who think this place is remotely ok for a human to pay airfare and lodging to stay what their living conditions maybe like. Every single employee I encountered is a thief for getting one peso for their effort. Victor, came around the desk and went chest to chest with my 63 year old father in law. How he has a job is beyond me. He was also kind enough to tell me I was in his country and I will do what he says or he will call the police... for his mistake and lies.
No chairs
No drinks on the beach
No towels
No phone
No room service
No service
No wash cloth for a week stay
My wife got shocked from the blow dryer
No fill in the blank _____.
This place should die, it has no soul. Totally opposite from the island.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here.
5  Thank riloh05