“Absolute paradise! Best location on the island”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just returned from my second visit to Mia Reef Club (formerly Avalon Reef Club). I would like to make a few comments on the negative reviews given by others on this board.
1. There is construction. Yes, it is called progress. While there may have been some noise, the improvements from last year to this year are amazing and I cannot wait to see what else is done. As far as the construction, I was mesmerized watching how the way the work was done. This is not the United States and the workers work barefooted, work in rain with electrical equipment, mix concrete by hand, move timbers through the ocean, etc. It was fascinating.
2. One restaurant. There is work under way to add to this. If you pay for all inclusive at a one restaurant resort and complain then that is your fault. Why would anyone on a 5 mile island want an all inclusive when there are hundreds of amazing places to eat. Get out and experience the culture! You can stay at one place at home.
3. the beds are hard. We had 3 rooms (One in the Villa and a 2 bedroom in the tower). All beds had brand new divine Sealy Mattresses
4. The staff is rude. Are you kidding me? I never met a rude person at the resort or on the island. Any request as made instantly. When we first arrived we asked for a different room (a specific room) in the tower. We immediately were accommodated even though the room was not cleaned. They cleaned around us!

I could go on but just know that this is the most beautiful location on the Island. You get two gorgeous views (ocean and bay), incredible snorkeling on the property and a staff that goes out of their way to make your vacation one of a kind. I will definitely go again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Janet P
GuestServicesPR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you , thank you, thank you. We thank you for sharing your experience at our location. As always we understand the needs for all of our guests and by thinking on this we are changing only to improve our services and facilities for you. Thank you for giving us your trust and we sure hope to have you back soon to enjoy all the beauty that we can offer at this magical place. Please let us know when you come back, we would love to welcome you again with us. Regards!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were looking forward to this stay but we were majorly let down when we arrived. This "resort" goes part way but then just drops off. It is extremely run down!!!! We had an ice bucket in the room but there is no ice machine, we have plates, silverware, and glasses but nothing to wash or dry them with. Although, it is only my second night here I don't think that there will be any maid service this week. I guess I can live without that for I don't have maid service at home. Most of the ammentities that are listed on the internet really don't exist here. There are matresses in the lobby still wrapped in plastic waiting to go in rooms but who wants to see that when you walk in. I am making the best of it for the beach is fabulous and the area isn't really that bad but seriously if you have this information save yourself the disappointment and don't stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kristina M
GuestServicesPR, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you for your comments. We are sorry you didn't have a good experience with us. Hopefully you will give this beautiful Island another chance and will come back some day soon enough. Thank you again for taking the time to comment about your trip.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is the most TERRIBLE place we have EVER stayed in our lives. We are very easy to get along with, but this place was shockingly downright horrible. Where do I start? The ENTIRE staff was downright rude the whole time. They acted like they didnt even want you there and you were in the way. This was suppose to be all inclusive - what a joke. You want a bottle of water? its extra. want a soda? its extra. want any kind of beer but Midelo? forget it, they dont have any. but if they did, im sure its extra. Forget about wine - its soured. MOST of the mixed drinks are extra. The pool and swim up bar? They refused to wait on us because they said the pool closes at 6 in the evening. what??!! it doesnt get dark until after 8!! So we went during the day the very next day and ordered drinks that were included in "all inclusive" - after the bartender delivered them 30 minutes later he informed us that we could only have one drink every 30 minutes. To top all that off - they are STILL remodeling, but not the part we were staying in. Its another separate place. Our building we were staying in was used to store all the crap that mustve been going into the other building. The place looks NOTHING like the pictures. The rooms are faded and the mattress is hard as a rock. Its simply a thin mattress on top of a sheet of wood. No boxsprings or pillow tops. Ive never left a review before - but I made it a point to put my review on here because disappointed is far beyond what I felt about this place. I actually got angry! We scoped out the entire island and found a really, really nice, down to earth, clean and polite place with awesome staff. Its not a resort, nor is it all inclusive (but neither was this junky place) but they had a friendly, fun atmosphere, delicious food and Jimmy Buffet playing on the radio. We checked out the rooms which were beautiful with comfortable beds, microwave, fridge, etc (mia reef had NONE of that) Its called Bahia Tortuga. We will certainly be staying there next year!!!!! please, please, dont waste your money on this place!! DOWN RIGHT PITIFUL!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank amunsch21

Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is my second review of this hotel. My first review was done a couple years ago, before the name was changed from Avalon Reef Club. We have just returned from a week stay on Isla Mujeres for our wedding, which was May 2. We were staying at a nearby condo at Nautibeach and had several family members staying at Mia, and they also were not a fan of the changes that are underway. First, when we went to the hotel to try to track down my grandparents (who did not have working cell phones on the island and we were having a hard time getting in touch with them), we had to argue with the front desk to let us walk down to the restaurant and try to find them. Once they finally did, they only let my husband go, and he was escorted by security the entire time. We have been to Isla close to a dozen times, and several of those stays have been at Avalon, and I have never experienced something so ridiculous. It is obvious that the place is definitely changing from a laid-back beach resort to an all-inclusive tourist destination.

Second, Mia hosted a wedding one of the nights for roughly 200+ people. They would not allow anyone else into the dinner area, and made them eat in the main lobby. This includes my 70 year old grandparents. If you are going to make a resort all-inclusive, then you need to have some sort of plans for what you are going to do with the rest of your guests when there is a wedding or any other party of that size. To make paying guests eat in the lobby as though they are less important is rude and absurd. There also was nowhere else for guests to eat because the on-site restaurant is currently not open.

Third, with this new all-inclusive business, it states that drinks are included. This includes domestic liquor and beer. However, if you want water? Yup, you have to pay for that. You can only get two free bottles of water per day if you order them through your room service.

Fourth, it was very obvious that the hotel is currently a construction zone. I can understand making renovations, but to have mattresses piled in hallways and in the lobby is not very appealing.

With all of this being said, I thought the hotel was much better before they changed the name, made it all-inclusive, and began all of these renovations. The location is still beautiful, the snorkeling still amazing, and my family who stayed in the villas said that their rooms were fantastic. However, I feel as though they are trying to make the changes in order to better appeal to Isla's growing tourist population, which is very unfortunate. I wish they would have kept their low-key, laid-back island charm.

Room Tip: The villas (which are located behind the main building and directly face the sea) are much nicer and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TravelBugSMB

Dear Guest,
eventhough you didn't stay at our property, we thank you for sharing the thoughts and experiences of those who did. Everything that you comment its important to us as well. Thank you again for taking the time to write about it. We will make sure to look into this to make sure next time you or your family comes by or visits the area also visits us to see the changes. Thank you

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We enjoyed it a lot place is great if you have kids lots of colored fish just in front of the hotel and Armando fitness and entertainment guy was great..especially yoga in the morning
We want to go there definetly again if you don't like the hotel 's food restaurants are walking distance and prices are incredibly low

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Rabiaercan

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your words. Please make sure to let us know when you will come. We would love you take care of you and your family as you deserve. Regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hotel undergoing major renovation. Will be extremely nice when finished.
We stayed here for a week and although was beautiful, the service was shocking.
Coffee for breakfast but they always forgot the milk, even though it was in their other hand.
The freshly cooked food was very nice, good quality and plenty of it if you chose. Luci makes amazing Omelettes for breakfast, however you want them.
There was entertainment during the day but nothing in the evening, not even a bit of music.The all inclusive bar wasn't amazing. They just changed the rules each day - "the management say only 2 drinks" - we are a family of 4 so had to go back twice! The management say no coconut milk, why!! One day no orange juice! The staff blame the management for every change. On our last day they decided not to have a buffet, but didm't tell anyone - we sat there for 10 minutes thinking they would bring the food out and start cooking….. after a while I got up and asked where the food was, to find out you order at the counter now - no staff told us though, very odd way if running a restaurant.
Some staff were amazing, friendly, helpful and very nice. Others were miserable and not helpful or friendly.
If you like a snorkel, you'll love the water, plenty of fish and the Kings seat a must - take bread!
beach is amazing too, small but clean and beautiful sand.
I hope it improves as it is in a beautiful location and deserves to be better. We may return one day as they were working on it every day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank bigChick1
GuestServicesPR, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you so much for your kindness. We hope you will give us a chance if you choose to come back. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

There are many upgrades underway. was there last week. Best location in all of the Yucatan I have seen. Dreams cancun comes a close second. Being able to leave your room and go out and snorkel without being concerned about leaving your wallet or things somewhere is nice. For bigginers the shallow Kings bath and surrounding lagoon are good places to learn and still see some interesting things.

The food has gotten better and I stay each time in the Villas. It is not 5 star by any means but clean, and the service for the rooms is good.

Food at the restaruant has improved a bit. That said if you like grilled fish with garlic and butter, it is as good there as anywhere on the island or in Cancun. The menu is a bit limited but another restaurant appears be be in the works. Not sure where all the customers will be to fill both restaurants. The hotel staff in general are good. Got to the restaurant one night late at 10:10 pm and they close at 10:30 (odd time for some reason- in most other all inclusives they stop at 11 pm.) There was much back and forth between the staff as there seemed to be no one really in charge. I take a relaxed attitude when I visit Mexico, so it did not bother me much. That was not the case with three groups I saw there at the same time. The cook was clearly unhappy but out came grill fish and it was great.

As for this hotel and others I have stayed on on Isla mujeres, it is as good or better than most, and gets high marks for it's location. Security seems on the ball and that is nice. I have not seen the beach there with too many people except one sunday. This was the first time in years that I could not get a lounge chair with sun shade. They have new beds covered with palapas, but no covers on them just wood. But it seems they will get around to it. I noticed they were replacing the TV sets when I was there. Not sure why as I did not turn mine on the entire 4 days I was there anyway. The sound of the ocean was what I came for and with air off and the patio door open who on earth would want any noise to block such a beautiful sound, I can say nothing about the tower as I have never stayed there except there are upgrades there as I was told by someone while there who was staying in one of the rooms.

I think the hotel provides good value.

Room Tip: ask for the villas but all the rooms even in the tower face the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Terry B
GuestServicesPR, Front Office Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for your comments. We are making sure to improve our services and facilities and your experience and comments surely will help us. Thank you again and we hope to see you back some time.