“Great location but much to be anticipated once construction is completed.”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Massillon, Ohio
“Great location but much to be anticipated once construction is completed.”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Island is beautiful. But make sure you bring mosquito spray. The mosquitos are really bad and most guests are bitten up with large welts on their legs and bodies. Charters come in daily for the snorkeling, hence the need to wear a bracelet to distinguish ourselves from the daily tourists to the staff. Luckily, I didn't have to do that bc the bracelet was irritating my skin and by the end of 7 days the staff knew me. It was more affordable to decline the all-inclusive. They only have one restaurant/buffet and the food looked terrible. We ate at the restaurant across the bay for breakfast and had good food and many meals in town. We actually saved money by not going with the all-inclusive. And we had a few alcohol drinkers. If you are an owner make sure that they give you the discounted price for drinks and bar food. Not all of the bartenders will know to do that and it's very important, regardless of where you are on the island, to check your receipts. The resort took my American Express but NO ONE else on the Island did. I found out the hard way. We went out to dinner and they wouldn't accept AMEX and I didn't have enough cash. Luckily my friend was able to help me out but it was very embarrassing. The hotel was completely closed and under construction 24 hours a day. We were prepared for the construction but not the chain saws and jackhammers at 8am. Also the Villas need a lot of work. There is NO HOT WATER. There are ants and bugs and lizards in the rooms, make sure you always wear slippers or shoes. My daughter and I left our luggage in our garage once home and washed all of our clothes and disinfected our luggage before bringing it in the house. We had many maids and some were good and some weren't but they always changed the sheets on the bed and washed the floors daily. Sand accumulates daily on the floor. We tipped them well daily. The single beds are hard as a rock. Not kidding at all. You are better off bringing an air mattress. The kingsize beds are new and firm but comfortable. Make sure to bring water shoes. A friend had a bad cut on his toe from the reef rocks. Coffee maker but No coffee in the room. No bottle opener. No water unless you get it from the bar. Our bar staff was superb!!! Saul makes the best Bloody Mary's on the Island, Jesus creates an amazing Pina Colada, and Carlos helps make it all amazing. I think it helps to tip well in the beginning and you will notice immediate attention and can then tip accordingly for the rest of your stay. We also ordered food from the bar and it was pretty good for a mid day snack. The pool was cloudy and too warm. I cooled myself off under the pool shower. The bathrooms are very slippery by the pool and I actually saw people fall. Be careful. The recreation staff were great. Jorge and Christina made sure that everyone had snorkeling equipment, or whatever they wanted to do for that day. One day we organized a Volleyball game with guests and they accommodated and actually played one of our friends IPOD music. Jorge touched base daily with us to inquire if we wanted to participate in any activities offered. They replaced the tables and chairs at the end of our stay. They are really trying to make the resort a better place. It will be nice in a few years but they are working 24/7 on construction for the hotel. I can rate this a 2 because of the great service from the bar staff and recreation staff. I could never rate above that because of the bugs!!!!! If you can stay on the Ocean side there is a cooler breeze otherwise you will have no breeze and the hot air conditioner beating the heat all over you. If you can speak a little Spanish, they love it. Not many people speak fluent English and they really appreciated my attempts at speaking the best Spanish that I could and actually helped me to correct what I wasn't communicating properly. Como se Dice in espanol? how do you say in Spanish? They love to help you learn. not quite sure if i spelled that right:)
The Island is beautiful. Make sure to take sun screen, we ran out and it was $15-$20 per bottle at the local grocery store. One last note. We ate at an amazing restaurant run by a few mexican women. La Cazuela M&J on the corner of Av. Guerrero and Abosolo. It's only opened from 7-2pm but the breakfast is amazing, crepes are to die for, specialty teas, and the best breakfast potatoes ever. They only take cash and don't speak a word of English but the food is amazing and they loved us complementing them:) We wish we would have found them sooner. Order the Nutella and banana crepes. Delicious. If you are looking for an extravagant or even a 3-4 star resort, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: stay in a villa but we could still hear the jackhammers and chain saws.rooms on the ocean side have...
10 Thank skisiren
GuestServicesPR, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, 13 October 2014
its so important for us to have all the experiences: good and bad.
you may not notice this but every single experience and comment will hep us to improve our services.
We know how hard it is to have the construction on the side and we really thank you for your patience on this matter. WE are certain that somehow very soon this will be worth it.
Thank you again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Well, where do I start......The last time I stayed at this hotel it was over 5 years ago when it was called The Avalon Reef Club. That was my first introduction to Isla. Since then I've been stayiing on the island usually twice a year and have always wanted to get back to the Avalon, but since I was there that first time I've been reading not so good things about the place. This last trip to IM was sort of a last minute booking. I usually stay at the Privilege Aluxes but I couldn't get in there this time around so I thought I'd see what the Mia had to offer since it has changed hands. I thought it couldn't be as bad as what I've been reading about.

I already knew about the construction going on in the tower so that wasn't a problem for me at all. But what was a problem were a few other things. Firstly there was NO HOT WATER. Not even warm. Taking a shower was a real treat every day. If you turn all the faucets on in your villa the water won't be as cold as the cold water but still won't even get to warm. You can complain all you want about this, they can't help you. It seems that other villas had the same problem.

Forget about getting a drink at the one bar that they have anytime before noon. They will not serve any alcohol before 11:30. Even though you are all inclusive, and mind you, you HAVE to get the all inclusive package, you can't get a Corona without having to pay for it!!!! Corona is not considered an "ALL INCLUSIVE BEER"!!!! Wow!!!!!

There is only 1 restaurant, 1. They have a buffet there, but not sure when that is. The few days that I saw a buffet there was no variety of food. One little section, and I mean little, that had maybe 8 different things to choose from, that includes the veggies and potatoes in that selection. Their salad selection was a joke. They had lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions and maybe 1 other thing for the salad. The times that there was no buffet they had a menu to choose from. Maybe a selection of 6 or 8 things, and that menu is the same for lunch and dinner, every day. One thing I'd like to say about the food is what they did have was very good. Their room service does not start until 11:00 at night. So if you didn't want dinner at dinner time and went on to your room, don't bother ordering anything until 11:00pm.

There is only 1 bartender. What he seems to want to do the whole time is wash glasses. You can wait at the bar all you want, but he won't stop washing those glasses. You have to physically get up and go over to him to ask him for a drink.

There were no lights on outside of my villa. Some villas seem to have lights but mine was very dark. Going up those steps at night and unlocking my door sometimes was a challenge.

There is nothing in your refrigerator in the villa. Not even water.

If you want a nice beach to lay out on, forget it. There is one section of the beach with no entry to the ocean, you need to go to the other side of the bar area to get into the ocean. They need to do some work there. The pool leaves a lot to be desired. The water in the pool was very cloudy, not very inviting at all. The ocean water was clearer then the pool water.

One thing I do want to mention is that it is a beautiful property and they do keep it clean. Even our rooms were nice and clean, needs a lot of updating, but at least it was clean and the AC worked great.

I learned one thing on this trip. I will never stray from the Privilege again. One day we even went back to the Privilege and spent the day there. It felt like we were back home. Seeing the staff there was great. I didn't want to leave. Well, I'll be back in November to stay at PA for a week. No more Mia for me.

10 Thank DoggroomerLovesIsla
GuestServicesPR, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your comments and for taking the time for this feedback. Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Chickamauga, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at this resort last year and had a great experience so we took our family back this year for a week stay. We still loved the location. The view is priceless. However...we will not go back here unless we here that the direction the new owners go with this resort is the right way. The morale of most of the staff is suspect at best. The food is very marginal and the bar is certainly not very cordial and convenient. They seldom had the beer we wanted and we had to work hard to get a drink. Last year, the staff served us on the beach and at least had buckets of beers so we could stay on the gorgeous beach

We were very understanding of construction..a necessary evil. The service and the morale were not acceptable. If I go to a resort, I want to be waited on and pampered and I will reward the staff that succeeds.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank tjbdvm
Dear Guest,
we thank you first for comming back though we regreat not fullfilling your expectations this time. As for the beach service we do have it now we are sorry your were not able to enjoy the service. Thank you for your comments we are taking this matter under review to make sure doesn't happen again. Regards,
Decatur, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at Mia Reef for 6 days in August, and I had a great experience. The hotel portion of the resort is under construction and it seems like they have a long way to go for completion. The location is amazing! We stayed in the condo style rooms towards the rear and our room looked right out on to the King's Bath. My relative has a time share there, so the stay was slighly cheaper for us. I enjoyed my time there, despite the construction and noise. I could see why someone seeking serene peace and quiet would be disappointed but I am a very laid back traveler so I have no complaints. Our AC worked great, and the room/closet was very spacious. The water in the shower was not hot, but after a day out in the sun the cool shower was pleasant. The pool was also a pleasant spot to relax.

4 Thank paige_klein
GuestServicesPR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear guest,
we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
As well mentioned we are still working but is for making our facilities better for your service. Thank you for helping us by giving us your toughts on our place.
Regards,
Midlothian, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just got back from a 5 day stay at the Mia Reef on Isla Mujeres. The hotel has a perfect location but other thanthat this hotel completely misrepresents itself on all websites. The entire "tower" hotel is completely closed down under total reconstruction. There are workers present using jackhammers until at least 11pm every night so relaxing outide on one of the amaxing hammock beds is not so relaxing. They are careful to not show this in photos. The entire Caribbean side is missing all windows and doors. We weren't allowed anywhere inside it. My family of 4 was put in a small studio room on the other side of the property in the small 2 story buildings. We had 2 full size beds that were a bit on the small side for 2 people in each but the matresses were at least on the newer side and comfortable. The room was not what I booked but was good enough considering we were not in it very much. The hotel advertises as having 2 restaurants, one being a buffet and one a fine mexican restaurant with a menu. The only restaurant is a tiny buffet with no menu to order from. I am not picky but the food was terrible. The staff left the same food out for hours. The "hot food" only held 6 to 8 dishes that didn't even go together and were always cold. My kids would rarely eat anything. We were told we could order one room service meal per day per person between 11 and 7. They wouln't give us a menu but said we could order pizza, hamburgers and hotdogs. When we tried to order something our kids would actually eat we were told we could only order between 11pm and 7am. Obviously my 6 and 7 year old sleep during those hours. The one and only bar opened at a different time every day, sometime between 10:30 and noon and closed at 10pm. Most of the staff seemed completely annoyed if you asked for anything. Nothing that the hotel advertises even exists. No welcome drink, fitness center, yoga, nightly activities, kids club or gift shop. They should not be allowed to advertise as they do. The location is amazing and there are so many restaurants on the island to try. We had an amazing time after just accepting that we had to go into town to eat. So after paying for all inclusive we spent a significant amount of money on dining out. Do not pay for all inclusive.

Room Tip: The only wifi is in the bar or office
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank jennifer m
GuestServicesPR, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear guest,
thank you for your feedback.
Panora
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We are currently staying at the mia reef and have experienced a multitude of disappointments! We purchased the all inclusive plan which is a joke. The website states 2 restaurants not true. They advertise a menu to choose from along with the buffet on the internet. No one offers a menu you have to debate that there even is one. All staff tell you the rules have changed. One day you can be served a drink at the bar at 11 the next day they tell you 1130. The staff are rude and extremely unaccommodating. Anything that is offered as all inclusive you have to argue with them to get. We were told to go to a different hotel to rent a golf cart and given directions to town to buy snorkels if we wanted them. Our room is crawling with ants and there is no warm water. We don't complain but this stay has been ridiculous. The construction is going on daily. There is not nightly entertainment. There's not a gym or gift shop. The volleyball net in the pool is torn and falling down. If they offered us airfare and a free stay we wouldn't want it. We read the neg reviews but gave them the benefit of the doubt and that was a mistake. As I write this we are listening to a jackhammer in the background not fun upbeat music expected on a tropical vacation.

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Jandjweisz
Dear guest
we are sorry for not fullfilling your expectations regarding the vacation at the Reef Isla Mujeres.
We still thank you for taking the time to help us improve by giving us your feedback about your experience.
thanks for your comments. Regards,
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at mia for two nights and we really didnt like it.
Mia has the best location and beaches in isla- and thats it!
The room was dirty, the floor tiles were broken, there was rust in the shower and in the sink.
Instade of a blaket we got sheets to cover. The room sayes there is a safe- dont fall for that, its a tiny tin box that is no way near a safe. the food was terrible and the service was slow and not pleasnt. There is no service at the beach and the beach beds are uncomfortable and some are broken.
The bar has a very small veriety of alcohol to choose from and getting the dring would cost you a lot of waiting time with a sour face from the bartender.
If you wish to have a wi-fi you have to seat at the reception.
To sum things up- stay at another hotel like we did after running away from mia and walk 5 minuts to its beaches.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank travelerallthetime1
GuestServicesPR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thanks for your comments