“Unbelievable location - great people”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Arkansas. USA
“Unbelievable location - great people”
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Avalon has a location that cannot be beat. It is amazing. You have water all around you and are removed from everything. However, you can get into town super-easy. The hotel is old, and the rooms are small. We stayed there the first night. We moved over to the villas for a $50/night upcharge and it was worth it. The villas have balconies and mini-kitchens. Everyone we met on the staff was very, very nice and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and solve any problems we had. Our spanish is not good. The "isla" requires a bit better spanish than Playa Del Carmen, or Cozumel. But, we never felt like we were being stupid. The food was ordinary. It was cooked well and flavorful, but pretty redundant day to day. The drinks were fine...not lite. Any issue we had - remote, safe, whatever, was fixed immediately.

We will go back....soon, I hope!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank twilbour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My husband and I stayed for a week with an all inclusive package. We food the food at the buffet to be very tasty but we did go out downtown Isla Mujeres a couple of times for dinner. Very lively and plenty to see. The rooms are indeed very small but clean. The beds are hard but it did not bother us. Unless you are a "member" you would definately get a better room. We had no problem with the service, we never waited for our food or drinks. What we really missed from this experience at Isal Mujeres is that we had no beach to walk on, and I do say no beach. You can walk far into the water and only have water up to your knees. That was a plus side for the beach. Unfortunately, it was a very windy week coming from the north but the sun was there every day. Did some snorkling at King's bath and to our suprise walking there found a guy fishing in the bath. I was not very happy and he eventually left. The pool is in a very bad location, it should have out in the sun not hidden between 2 buildings. Not very well thought through!!! The transporation between airport and hotel went well both ways. It was a great relaxing trip but we would not go back.

1 Thank Jean D
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I was terrified coming in based on some reviews, so I'll just state facts and you draw your own conclusion: (1) Great location--the beach, water and snorkeling are fantastic; particularly if you have young kids. Lots of clear, calm, shallow water; (2) rooms in tower are small and basic. Ours had been recently updated with fresh paint, better mattresses and a new A/C unit (which didn't work great and was very loud, so we didn't sleep well); (3) food is average at best; drinks were fine; (4) staff was reasonably friendly, but most didn't speak English well; (5) no hotel-wide water purification, so 3 out of 4 of my family got sick; (6) RIDICULOUSLY LOUD remodeling noise in rooms ALL DAY! In short, I'd say this place is fine if you understand that it's not The Ritz. If you are looking for a beautiful beach, have a sturdy traveler's stomach, and don't plan on spending much time in the room, this is a good pick. If you're looking for luxuries off the beach, this isn't a great pick.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank RSPG
rochester, ny
Reviewed 20 March 2009

My boyfriend and I traveled to the Avalon the first week in March. I was nervous prior to going because of some of the reviews, but I didn’t find it as bad as some people had said. The Location is the best part!

Check-in was very easy in comparison to what others had said. Both my boyfriend and I speak Spanish which may have helped things a long a little, but the ladies at the front desk seemed to speak English well, too. We arrived early, and thought we would have trouble getting into our room, again as per previous entries noted, but were taken right down. I had booked a villa, and received a villa. Before going to the room the “sales people” hooked us for a presentation to get a free golf cart(more to come on that).

The Villa was very clean and had a great view of the ocean. Everyday the room was cleaned and stocked with new coffee/condiments/towels. The villas also have sinks/micro/fridge/dishes in them which was something they don’t mention on their website. They have coffee makers but only put one bottle of water in the room daily. It would have been nice to have more, however if you called the kitchen, room service was always friendly about bringing more down.

The “presentation” for the time share was long and drawn out. We had a guy named Roman, who was very nice and came right out and said …”do you think I’m going to try to sell you something? Well you are right, I am.” At least he was being honest. However after 1 ½ hours of talking and 3 people later trying to convince us to buy into the time share which we had no intention of doing (just wanted a free golf cart) my boyfriend got out his “mean voice” and promptly ended our presentation. LOL He did attempt to take us on a tour of one of the tower rooms but it was in the middle of a re-model and we couldn't go in. From what I saw though, the room looked small and cramped. I’m not sure if the windows opened either and there's no balcony. I would't have stayed in the tower because the rooms are too claustrophobic, that being said, again I did not get to see the whole room. The view from the tower however was amazing. They were doing some construction on the "tower" and you heard the construction during the day. Another reason I won't have wanted to stay in the tower.

We did the all inclusive package just because I hate having to carry money, etc. when I’m on vacation. Every night they had something different for dinner, with a few main staples. I’m used to staying at resorts with multiple restaurants and large buffets with many things to choose from. The buffet was small, but always found something to eat. The fish was amazing! Breakfast you can get fresh made omelets or pancakes (Ana is the best). Pervious entries noted issues with the strength of alcoholic drinks, we had no issues. Some drinks had too much alcohol! The food seems very safe there; we did not have any GI issues, but always drank bottled water. Room service was always fast and friendly. Small but nice selection. We went to Mi Casa Es Su Casa, the “fancy” restaurant one night, however I was not impressed. The service was slow despite having very few people in there. The wine was regular table wine, and the fish was much better in the buffet.

The beach there is very small but well kept. People do get up early to place towels on chairs as others stated. We always found a chair to use even when we came back to the hotel in the afternoon. People were NOT getting up with the sun to put towel on chairs like previous people had mentioned. I was up before the sun, walking everyday and there was not another soul out there. The snorkeling near the hotel is good. Nothing too exotic but plenty of fish to see. The sunsets are amazing! Go and sit on the dock and watch them, you won’t disappointed!

Travel on the island can be down by foot/taxi/golf cart. We got to the island from the airport by taking a bus to the bus station, getting a taxi to the ferry over to the island. It was pretty cheap and very quick. The whole trip took us about an hour and only cost about 15 dollars per person/one way. Better than 40-60 dollar one way to the dock using a taxi. The ferry lets you off in the center of town where most of the hotels are in walking distance. Renting a golf cart was fun and great way to see the other end of the island. The center of town is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Sightseeing. All I heard about was JAX on the beach so I couldn’t wait to eat there. The service that day was very slow and we waited over an hour to get our food. Then they brought the appetizer WITH our meal; the food was good though and reasonably priced. Very cute dog there of the owner! We didn’t eat anywhere else in town. Walking around and went to a bar or too. Nice bars with swings on the north beach. We visited the turtle farm which has albino turtles and a shark. Also visited the Hacienda (old pirate area) it’s like a nature preserve with small animals. The spider monkeys were the coolest, but I warn everyone not to get too close. There are no signs that warn you, but they tried to take my purse and got a hold of my hand sanitizer. They were able to un-screw the cap and started drinking it! That’s a long, but funny story! We went to Punta sur up into the light house and paid 2 dollar to walk on the trails. It was nice. Grab some ice cream there, its REAL ice cream and very good. If you want to go snorkeling though, don’t spend $60pp at Garrafon. Right before you hit Garrafon there is a sign for a hotel I think, with snorkeling, etc. for $5 per person. The beach is beautiful and you can snorkel to the end of the reef at Garrafon. We saw a barracuda, sting ray, and a lot of exotic fish. They also have food/drinks there which are very good. If you rent a golf cart drive down the south shore and stop along the way at the deserted beach areas there. It’s too rocky to swim but the scenory is beautiful and there are great shells!

All in all a great trip. It was windy there which is unusual for them. We did not use the pool at all but looked well kept. We only stayed 5 days which was long enough for us since we didn't leave the island and go to Cancun at all. Checkout was easy. It's perfect if you want some Mexican flavor without all the parties and craziness of Cancun! Won’t go back there, but then again I never go to the same place twice! Happy Travels!

3 Thank loverlylyllah
CONNECTICUT
Reviewed 10 March 2009

The location of this hotel is what attracted us.
Once checked in, it was a nightmare.
The beds were very oncomfortable. We had a non smoking room, but you could smell smoke throughout the entire property.
Dirty rooms, toilets that didnt flush, broken stairs, and roaches...
disgusting.
food was poor, and drinks were watered down.
Overall, the hotel is tired and old-
I would NEVER go back here, even for free!

4 Thank SO44123

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 5 March 2009

As per previous reviews: the location is amazing but the resort is average if you're in the tower:
Here's my list:

Food: Buffet is very good food, tasty and varied at lunchtimes and dinner time.
Breakfast, also very good, less varied, but honestly, how varied can a breakfast be??
The a la carte restaurant, not so great. Most things on the menu are not included in the all inclusive package! You have to pay extra.

Drinks: I found they put a tablespoon of rum and whole glass of coke!! So the alcohol is NOT watered down, I saw the barman open a new bottle, they just make very light drinks... ask for more if you want.

Hotel rooms: Basic but cleaned everyday. I found the maid often forgot the facecloth or water, but you can ask for it at the reception. The villas a re really nice however!

Beach: Really calm water, beach is cleaned everyday and the reserving of sunbeds had died down when we got there!

Staff: very kind and helpful, they appreciate the tips.

Sales presentation: we spent 2 hours!!!! We got a golf cart which by the way, you can rent for $55 USD for 24hours. You may like to skip this, if you don't want to spend 1.5-2 hours, you will be asked to attend this as soon as you check in, so be prepared!!

Finally, for bookit.com customers: if you haven't booked yet, I wouldn't buy the airport transfer, as the bus takes you to the ferry and leaves you there with the ticket! On the Isla you have to make your own way to the hotel!!!
It's so easy to get a cab from Cancun to the ferry terminal "Puerta Juarez" and then buy the ferry ticket at the terminal. Then you have to get a cab from Ferry to hotel (even if you bought the airport transfer...)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Madeleine75
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 5 March 2009

The good:
Best location on the island.
Very friendly staff.
Nice but small beach areas.
Pretty good food with good variety in the buffet restaurant.
Unlimited room service and food/drinks all the time with all-inclusive option.
Bottled water provided through room service.
All inclusive really did include everything - we had no additional charges the whole time.
Easy walk to downtown.
Excellent snorkeling right outside of the hotel.

The bad:
Bed hard as a rock.
Room in the tower very basic and nothing special.
No wash clothes/hand towels provided.
They started doing very noisy construction on our last day there - did not know about that ahead of time - but only during the day.
Very weak cocktails served at the bars.
Mi Casa (restaurant that required reservations) was nothing special. Would not even bother going there unless you have the all-inclusive option.

For what we paid the hotel was a very good value and I would stay there again. It is a nice casual resort in a beautiful location. Nothing fancy with VERY basic rooms but that was okay and about what we expected for the price. It was very quiet at the resort in the evenings when we were there. If you wanted any excitement you would need to go into town, which was an easy walk from the hotel.

3 Thank herbie_avl