“Great location and hotel accommodations were a good value.”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 3 April 2009

This hotel has a wonderful location with access to great snorkeling and SCUBA diving. We had an exciting drift dive in "The Chain" - saw lots of large Queen Angelfish, French Angelfish, baracudas, sea turtles, etc. We had the all-inclusive plan and the buffet food was good. One night we booked at the hotel's Mi Casa Su Casa restaurant for a wonderful dinner. The hotel staff provide good service, but some of them were a little slow on the execution. The rooms are small but adequate if you are just using the rooms to "crash" after a day of water sports. We had a great view of the windward side of the island right outside our window. Be prepared for the sales pitch, as this is a private time share club. If you attend this 1 1/2 - 2 hour presentation, you are rewarded with a discount on messages or golf carts. We opted for the massages, which were timed right for sore muscles after two days of physical activity.

1  Thank RNdiver05
Write a ReviewReviews (2,379)

Reviewed 31 March 2009

Although service could be a bit slow at times and the bed was rock hard, you quickly forget those issues when you step outside to find two quiet beaches and a pool with plenty of available chairs, tropical fish right at your feet and stunning views. The ocean-front hammocks and King's bath were great spots as well. We opted for breakfast only at the resort, which was perfect. The buffet included an assortment of beverages, made to order items, lots of fresh fruit and typical mexican breakfast dishes. Drinks at the bar were very reasonable so we didn't have a problem paying for them individually. Because it was such a short walk to town, we ate most of our other meals at the many affordable local restaurants. We found great seafood, tacos and plenty of cerveza for 15-30 pesos around every corner. A trip around the island on a golf cart (courtesy of the time share sales people) was definitely a highlight of the trip as was the zip line over the ocean just opposite the beaches of cancun.

For travelers who want the scenery and sun of Mexico with a laid back attitude and cheap pricetag, this was a great spot.

4  Thank amott325
Reviewed 29 March 2009

The property is beautiful and water is all around you as it sits on the extreme north end of the island. We were all inclusive and the food was outstanding but the rooms were the worst I have ever had in Mexico. Small and clinical, no air conditioning and our toilet seat fell off. I almost cried. We finally got moved to the villas about half way into the week and they are much nicer! Spring for the extra $50.00 per night!

Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jayminnesota
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Avalon has a location that cannot be beat. It is amazing. You have water all around you and are removed from everything. However, you can get into town super-easy. The hotel is old, and the rooms are small. We stayed there the first night. We moved over to the villas for a $50/night upcharge and it was worth it. The villas have balconies and mini-kitchens. Everyone we met on the staff was very, very nice and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and solve any problems we had. Our spanish is not good. The "isla" requires a bit better spanish than Playa Del Carmen, or Cozumel. But, we never felt like we were being stupid. The food was ordinary. It was cooked well and flavorful, but pretty redundant day to day. The drinks were fine...not lite. Any issue we had - remote, safe, whatever, was fixed immediately.

We will go back....soon, I hope!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank twilbour
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My husband and I stayed for a week with an all inclusive package. We food the food at the buffet to be very tasty but we did go out downtown Isla Mujeres a couple of times for dinner. Very lively and plenty to see. The rooms are indeed very small but clean. The beds are hard but it did not bother us. Unless you are a "member" you would definately get a better room. We had no problem with the service, we never waited for our food or drinks. What we really missed from this experience at Isal Mujeres is that we had no beach to walk on, and I do say no beach. You can walk far into the water and only have water up to your knees. That was a plus side for the beach. Unfortunately, it was a very windy week coming from the north but the sun was there every day. Did some snorkling at King's bath and to our suprise walking there found a guy fishing in the bath. I was not very happy and he eventually left. The pool is in a very bad location, it should have out in the sun not hidden between 2 buildings. Not very well thought through!!! The transporation between airport and hotel went well both ways. It was a great relaxing trip but we would not go back.

1  Thank Jean D
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I was terrified coming in based on some reviews, so I'll just state facts and you draw your own conclusion: (1) Great location--the beach, water and snorkeling are fantastic; particularly if you have young kids. Lots of clear, calm, shallow water; (2) rooms in tower are small and basic. Ours had been recently updated with fresh paint, better mattresses and a new A/C unit (which didn't work great and was very loud, so we didn't sleep well); (3) food is average at best; drinks were fine; (4) staff was reasonably friendly, but most didn't speak English well; (5) no hotel-wide water purification, so 3 out of 4 of my family got sick; (6) RIDICULOUSLY LOUD remodeling noise in rooms ALL DAY! In short, I'd say this place is fine if you understand that it's not The Ritz. If you are looking for a beautiful beach, have a sturdy traveler's stomach, and don't plan on spending much time in the room, this is a good pick. If you're looking for luxuries off the beach, this isn't a great pick.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank RSPG
Reviewed 20 March 2009

My boyfriend and I traveled to the Avalon the first week in March. I was nervous prior to going because of some of the reviews, but I didn’t find it as bad as some people had said. The Location is the best part!

Check-in was very easy in comparison to what others had said. Both my boyfriend and I speak Spanish which may have helped things a long a little, but the ladies at the front desk seemed to speak English well, too. We arrived early, and thought we would have trouble getting into our room, again as per previous entries noted, but were taken right down. I had booked a villa, and received a villa. Before going to the room the “sales people” hooked us for a presentation to get a free golf cart(more to come on that).

The Villa was very clean and had a great view of the ocean. Everyday the room was cleaned and stocked with new coffee/condiments/towels. The villas also have sinks/micro/fridge/dishes in them which was something they don’t mention on their website. They have coffee makers but only put one bottle of water in the room daily. It would have been nice to have more, however if you called the kitchen, room service was always friendly about bringing more down.

The “presentation” for the time share was long and drawn out. We had a guy named Roman, who was very nice and came right out and said …”do you think I’m going to try to sell you something? Well you are right, I am.” At least he was being honest. However after 1 ½ hours of talking and 3 people later trying to convince us to buy into the time share which we had no intention of doing (just wanted a free golf cart) my boyfriend got out his “mean voice” and promptly ended our presentation. LOL He did attempt to take us on a tour of one of the tower rooms but it was in the middle of a re-model and we couldn't go in. From what I saw though, the room looked small and cramped. I’m not sure if the windows opened either and there's no balcony. I would't have stayed in the tower because the rooms are too claustrophobic, that being said, again I did not get to see the whole room. The view from the tower however was amazing. They were doing some construction on the "tower" and you heard the construction during the day. Another reason I won't have wanted to stay in the tower.

We did the all inclusive package just because I hate having to carry money, etc. when I’m on vacation. Every night they had something different for dinner, with a few main staples. I’m used to staying at resorts with multiple restaurants and large buffets with many things to choose from. The buffet was small, but always found something to eat. The fish was amazing! Breakfast you can get fresh made omelets or pancakes (Ana is the best). Pervious entries noted issues with the strength of alcoholic drinks, we had no issues. Some drinks had too much alcohol! The food seems very safe there; we did not have any GI issues, but always drank bottled water. Room service was always fast and friendly. Small but nice selection. We went to Mi Casa Es Su Casa, the “fancy” restaurant one night, however I was not impressed. The service was slow despite having very few people in there. The wine was regular table wine, and the fish was much better in the buffet.

The beach there is very small but well kept. People do get up early to place towels on chairs as others stated. We always found a chair to use even when we came back to the hotel in the afternoon. People were NOT getting up with the sun to put towel on chairs like previous people had mentioned. I was up before the sun, walking everyday and there was not another soul out there. The snorkeling near the hotel is good. Nothing too exotic but plenty of fish to see. The sunsets are amazing! Go and sit on the dock and watch them, you won’t disappointed!

Travel on the island can be down by foot/taxi/golf cart. We got to the island from the airport by taking a bus to the bus station, getting a taxi to the ferry over to the island. It was pretty cheap and very quick. The whole trip took us about an hour and only cost about 15 dollars per person/one way. Better than 40-60 dollar one way to the dock using a taxi. The ferry lets you off in the center of town where most of the hotels are in walking distance. Renting a golf cart was fun and great way to see the other end of the island. The center of town is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Sightseeing. All I heard about was JAX on the beach so I couldn’t wait to eat there. The service that day was very slow and we waited over an hour to get our food. Then they brought the appetizer WITH our meal; the food was good though and reasonably priced. Very cute dog there of the owner! We didn’t eat anywhere else in town. Walking around and went to a bar or too. Nice bars with swings on the north beach. We visited the turtle farm which has albino turtles and a shark. Also visited the Hacienda (old pirate area) it’s like a nature preserve with small animals. The spider monkeys were the coolest, but I warn everyone not to get too close. There are no signs that warn you, but they tried to take my purse and got a hold of my hand sanitizer. They were able to un-screw the cap and started drinking it! That’s a long, but funny story! We went to Punta sur up into the light house and paid 2 dollar to walk on the trails. It was nice. Grab some ice cream there, its REAL ice cream and very good. If you want to go snorkeling though, don’t spend $60pp at Garrafon. Right before you hit Garrafon there is a sign for a hotel I think, with snorkeling, etc. for $5 per person. The beach is beautiful and you can snorkel to the end of the reef at Garrafon. We saw a barracuda, sting ray, and a lot of exotic fish. They also have food/drinks there which are very good. If you rent a golf cart drive down the south shore and stop along the way at the deserted beach areas there. It’s too rocky to swim but the scenory is beautiful and there are great shells!

All in all a great trip. It was windy there which is unusual for them. We did not use the pool at all but looked well kept. We only stayed 5 days which was long enough for us since we didn't leave the island and go to Cancun at all. Checkout was easy. It's perfect if you want some Mexican flavor without all the parties and craziness of Cancun! Won’t go back there, but then again I never go to the same place twice! Happy Travels!

3  Thank loverlylyllah