. . .make sure you get a deal, it is not worth what they want to charge you.
Things we liked:
- the water really is that blue!
- the resort is conveniently located, and you have a birds eye view of isla mujeres.
- the breakfast is good (by far the best meal, lunch is limited, dinner bland.)
- if you swim or crawl under the wooden bridge that connects the resort to the rest of the island, you will basically be swimming in an aquarium-- really fun to snorkel here.
- lovely views
- isla mujeres itself is charming and beautiful
- the staff is mostly pleasant
Things we didn't like:
- they short-sheeted the bed every night, gross
- horrible lighting in the rooms (we didn't stay in a villa though)
- the cable was out while we were there (not a problem for us, but people traveling with kids were freaking)
- crappy shower, crappy free shower products
- our safe key never worked & they told us there was nothing they could do to fix that, then left us passive-aggressive notes about leaving our valuables in the room. ummm.
- way, way, way overpriced sun screen in the gift shop (price isn't marked so it is a surprise, and a BAD surprise)
- they shine the hall floors with some kind of chemical that was eye-wateringly strong, I nearly had an asthma attack and my fiance became nauseous (luckily this only happened once during our stay)
It's hard to be cranky in Mexico, though! The problems weren't major imo, and were balanced out by the pretty location. For sunbathing we headed to the pagodas on the non-beach side of the island, more private. The beach is small and a tad weedy, but just wade out. It's shallow for ages and gets less weedy away from the edge.
I would recommend this hotel for relaxed people who aren't expecting to be pampered and who can find a bargain.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mia Reef Isla Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avalon Reef Club Isla Mujeres Hotel Isla Mujeres
- Avalon Reef Isla Mujeres
- Avalon Club Reef
- Isla Mujeres Avalon Reef