“Another great vacation and wedding at the Avalon Reef Club”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Houston, Texas
“Another great vacation and wedding at the Avalon Reef Club”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We have stayed at Avalon many times, this time our family took eight rooms as we had 24 people there including children One of our daughters planned her wedding there and what she wanted most was something simple but very special. That is exactly what she got. It was beautiful and special with no hassle. She chose the most simple package, decided on what color flowers and the flavor of cake she wanted and they handled the rest. The gazebo was decorated beautifully and the staff made sure everything was perfect. We only had to show up on time. The wedding planner, Ricardo even contracted the person that conducted the wedding ceremony. Everyone commented on the fact that the wedding service was one of the best they had ever heard. The words touched the hearts of everyone and reflected what love and the joining of two people was all about. Thank you Ricardo and thank your wonderful staff! It was better than we could have imagined.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank marfran56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 8 August 2010

This was an amazing trip! Would definetely recommend it to a friend. The snorkeling was beautiful. The Island is very safe which we really appreciated and the fact this hotel is on its one island is even better. Rosendo and Efrain are the best waiters ever. AWESOME GUYS!

Don't listen to all of these booking websites that say that tip is included in the all inclusive plans. The waiters don't get paid more than regular wage for the day. BE SUR TO TIP THEM! They work 12 hours a day for .75 cents an hour... especially when people don't tip.

The water was so clear and there are beautiful fish and corals. the king's bath was beautiful. We walked to the hotel. No car is needed. Rent a golf cart from the hotel and drive around the island.

ABSOLUTELY GREAT HOTEL! The rooms are not the prettiest or fanciest by any means but if you are out snorkeling and walking around the island why does it matter? PS all beds are hard in Mexico.

Too many people out there are looking for a reason to complain and want a hotel for free these days...

AMAZING! Definetely going back to Avalon!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank travel_chicx
Turtle Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2010

My friend and I spent 4 days on Isla Mujeres and were not sure where to stay. We chose the Avolon reef and were very pleased. We were booked for a hotel room, but upgrated to a villa. The hotel room was very small and the air conditioning was not the best. We were very pleased with the Villa overlooking the ocean. We had a plumbing issue that was resolved within 5 minutes.
The location of the hotel was within walking distance to centro. You will not need all inclusive at this hotel because of the great restaurants in the area.
During the day, you were in your own little paridise at the hotel. We sat by the pool and enjoyed the ocean breezes from all directions.
I would stay here again, in a villa!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChrissyMarks17
Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Our timeshare had a fabulous view from the small patio. The efficiency unit met all our needs though there were a few minor problems. Not much water pressure in the toilet and the shower leaked. This was repaired immediatley upon our request. The room was kept spotless!
This resort has the absolute best view on the island. It is a short walk to town yet we felt as though we were on our own island..no cars, no crowds. You must show your wristband to be allowed to enter the area.
The restaurant servers are exceptional, but the meals are pricey and nothing special. I would reccomend eating in town. Jax's was very good! I would also encourage you to rent a golf cart rather than a car! The golf carts are very popular and a blst to get aaround in. The island is small so there is really no need for a car.
We used Enrique for our SCUBA diving and he was terrific!! He even brought up a conch, invited us to celebrate his birthday dinner and gave me the shell.
One word of advice! Take lots of cash! ATM's never worked for us; however, we did get a cash advance on our credit card at the Gas Pump..can't miss it. None of the shops we were in took credit cards and the restaurants tried but the card wouldn't go through.
Overall, this is a wonderful resort on a terrific, friendly and safe island. I would go back..I WILL go back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ddiver59
Mahahual, Mexico
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I live in Cancun and I fish all of the tournaments in the area. They held the 2010 Isla Mujeres tournament on the 22nd and 23rd of May. I invited several of my friends to come and spend the night of the 22nd at the Avalon Reef Club and to give us a rousing send off for the fishing on the 23rd. There were nine of us all together. After a long day of fishing and checking into the room for a shower a few of us went down to the bar to get a drink. Being slightly dehydrated from being on the ocean all day I ordered a drink with orange juice and my friends ordered beers. The bartender took about 15 minutes and came back with a drink made with pineapple juice and we had watched him pour the beer from a quart bottle of Corona beer, (about the cheapest you can buy), and they were both luke warm. We waited for the rest of our party to arrive and once everyone was there we moved over to go to the restaurant to have dinner. We were told that due to a lack of business they only opened one of the two restaurants every other night. In their infinite wisdom on a Saturday night with a fishing tournament in town they open the one with only 12 tables for the entire resort. We were told the restaurant was full and we said that we would wait but we were told that by the time they had space for us the restaurant would be closed. We asked if we could get something to go and were told that they only had one cook and he was too busy to do that. I ended up taking everyone to dinner and since I had convinced them to stay there I paid for the all inclusive that the hotel refused to provide. Once back in Cancun the first thing I did was have my secretary call the reservations office to speak to the manager because I have several websites that sell activities and hotels in the area among them the Avalon Reef Club. One of our party had not paid in advance and we were told to keep that money to make up for the problem. I told them that only equaled about a 3rd of the bill at the restaurant so they asked me fax them the receipt and they would get back to me. It has been 2 months now and I haven't heard a word from them. I have taken the hotel off of my website and am informing everyone I know not to book here. It is unfortunate because my wife and I have been staying there once or twice a year for several years for a quick getaway but the service and the attitudes have gone to the dogs. I am sure that at the time this was happening I could have screamed and blustered that I was an agent for the hotel and things would have been different but I wanted to see how they handled it if I had been a normal client that my agency had sent to them and I cannot in good conscience continue to send them business or recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank kancunkid

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

new jersey
Reviewed 18 July 2010

After reading the reviews of The Avalon I was apprehensive. My theory is if half of the reviews are negative , then I need to worry about the accommodations. We stumbled upon the Avalon last summer when we took a whale shark tour . The boats park by the Avalon for a brief snorkeling stop. We were staying in Playa Del Carmen and thought nothing could be better. The water around the Avalon is the most crystal clear aqua waters I have ever seen. My only experience with Isla Mujeres was 25 years ago. After a snorkeling day trip, I was convinced I would never want to return there. After stopping there last year, we decided to give it a second chance.
The Avalon was a trade through Interval International. The rooms could also be rented. We stayed in the Villas, which is the only way to go. Our villa, #2020, overlooked Kings Bath, which is a natural swimming pool amongst the crashing waves. We awoke to the sunrise every morning. The villas are not luxury,but they are clean and well kept. The furniture is old, but who sits in the room anyway. There is so much to see and do and the Avalon is the perfect location. We stayed for a week and could not be more pleased.
We did not do the all inclusive because we like to experience the restaurants with their local flavor. Our first night was culture shock. The town was quiet and we thought there was quite a bit of run down buildings in Isla. By the second day we were in love with this tiny gem and all that it has to offer.
The staff at the Avalon were great and never took long to help make our stay enjoyable. The beach around the resort had lots of sea grass. I think it was seasonal, but every night we saw maintenance raking the grass and shoveling it into wheel barrels. We were able to walk to town and the docks very easily. We never felt endangered.
I definitely would recommend Avalon. It's not a five star resort, but it is a five star location.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fredswife
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed here after reading conflicting reviews for months. I suppose if you are going to take the time to review something it's either because your experience was wonderful or terrible - our's was WONDERFUL!

We NEEDED a relaxing vacation and the Avalon was just what the doctor ordered! It's a quiet hotel on a small island connected to Isla Mujeres by a wooden bridge. The only people at the resort are guests - when the resort is slow you basically have the place to yourselves. We had a few day trips planned to tour the island, the rest of the vacation we lounged by the ocean and went snorkelling right off the beach - quite a variety of fish along the bridge pilings. The Kings Bath provided another location to relax, an attraction exclusive to the Avalon. The staff was courteous, especially the waitstaff at the bar and restaurant. They seemed to really go out of their way to get to know you (which was easier since there weren't that many of us there).

We did the all-inclusive and although the lunches and dinners weren't anything extraordinary, they weren't horrible either. The breakfast buffet was quite good. The price of the all-inclusive package wasn't that bad and was well worth the conveniance of not having to run off site for every meal and not having to keep track of a bar tab. Since the all-inclusive price was so reasonable we never felt like we had to eat every meal on site, we went into town for dinner several nights to some incredible local restaurants (Bamboo, Ballyhoo, Qubano's). When we had enough of the nightlife on Hidalgo which was fun but far from crazy (we're talking Isla Mujeres not New Orleans) it was a short walk back to the resort where it was quiet, relaxing - nothing but the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.

We loved it and are definitely going back to Isla Mujeres! We just found out that as of Dec. 2010 they will indefinitely dis-continue the all-inclusive portion of the resort. For us, that's sad to hear. It was sooo convenient and really added to the relaxed atmosphere of the resort.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple