“The Perfect Wedding”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 30 November 2010

After many trips to Isla Mujeres, my husband and I decided to tie the knot "destination style" and chose Avalon Reef Club as our venue. Much to our surprise 98 (yes 98) guests attended our wedding and 94 of them also stayed at Avalon.

We found the hotel to be clean and well kept. The tower rooms are being updated daily it seems and the studios are spectacular. You could not get closer to the ocean unless you stayed in a boat!

We cannot say enough about the staff at Avalon. We had over 55 guests arriving on two separate flights within a half an hour of each other on the Saturday prior to our wedding. The staff were so well organized. They had beverages waiting for all guests and had already completed a majority of the paperwork that our guests needed to sign in order to check in. Line ups were short and Management ensured that "all hands were on deck" at the check-in counter. I would say that ALL 55 guests were checked in and on their way to their rooms within 40 minutes of arriving at the hotel.

The food at Avalon was incredible. The selection was so vast and, anything they didn't have, they would be happy to make for you. With 98 guests we had many many requests for all different types of food from vegetarian to non spicy burritos that would not normally be on the menu.....lol. The staff ensured all tastes were met including those of the children in attendance.

Our guests enjoyed day after day of music and DJ entertainment poolside surrounded by never-ending drinks. The staff were so much fun to be around....so very friendly and accommodating.

The day of the wedding was the only day it rained that week....and did it ever rain.....all morning and all afternoon. Avalon's Food and Beverage Manager Ricardo came to the rescue. Within three hours he had transformed an outdoor wedding into an indoor one. We used Avalon's reception area for the ceremony (it was originally supposed to be in the gazebo outside) and took over the restaurant for our dinner and dancing (which too was originally supposed to be outside). Ricardo had an entire other area made into a restaurant for the other guests at the hotel complete with comfy chairs and beautiful decor. The guests were not put out at all and "congratulatory cheers" could be heard all around. Ricardo even had a dance floor built for us!! It was just incredible the lengths he (and all of his staff) went to to ensure our wedding was perfect for us....and it was.

We would highly recommend Avalon Reef Club to any traveler that wishes to stay on Isla Mejures. We are planning our next trip there in April!!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank dfish65
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

Dear Guest,
thank you!!! and also thank you for your pictures, it was our joy to have your wedding here...we can't wait to see you again on April. We will wait for you!!

Reviewed 28 November 2010

If your looking for a five star resort then don't come here. My wife, kids, parents, and I wanted to try something different as this was our third trip to the Cancun area. A co-worker sugested Isla Mujeres for its slower pace and uniqueness. After a little checking around we settled on the Avalon Reef Club. We knew going, that the resort was not of the standard and quality that we had prevously enjoyed, but were pleasently surprsed upon are arrival. The staff were very curteous and helpful. The rooms were clean and offered a fantastic view of the ocean. The service in the bar was excellent and the food was quite good. Since we had paid for the all inclusive plan the resort also offered free room service to which the kids took full advantage of. Some of the reviews commented on the lack of hot water but after sitting by the beach all day, a hot shower was not something I needed. I have to admit that the resort could do with some repairs but for the most part everything was fine. The resort boasts two restaurnats, and yes, one of them never opened. Due to the fact that this time of year is the off season and I don't think the resort was even half full.We never had to wait for a table. This was the case in both the restaurent and the bar. One of the many things that I enjoyed was the fact the resort is on its own island and because of this we could relax on the beach and not be bothered by the locals selling their trinkets. Because of its close proximity to the town we enjoyed a nightly walk in town and not once did we ever feel uneasy about leaving the resort. The locals were very friendly and I found the shop keepers not as aggressive as those on the main land. A meal on the town was very reasonable and you can get anything you want. If you do go I suggest you take a half day and rent a golf cart and tour the island. Rent your carts off the resort and it will save you a few bucks. We went around the island twice and still returned the carts a couple of hours early. If I were to have a complaint it would be the lack of activities. There was the daily blackjack game in the bar and varous other games such as bingo. But if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the sun and beach then this is the place for you. Also, take the time to go snorkling or diving withe group from Manduca Diving located on the resort. They are first class.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Deadon22

Dear Guest,
thank you for writting such a complete review, our main concern is always the impression about our guest's experiences and it is a real joy to have this kind of feedback. This will help us improve ourselves. Please let us know when you will come, it will be great to welcome you back.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

This reveiw is intended for those like me - those who have either booked or are planning to book a vacation via the Avalon Reef. If you are like me you have researched the best deals on hotels for Isla Mujeres and have read up on the island from Fodors. The best hotel deal I found through Travelocity was at the Avalon - but the reviews were so mixed - I did not know what to expect....but I booked our vacation and waited to see which reviews were the "real" reality. We stayed at the Avalon Reef from Nov18th - Nov 24th, 2010. We just returned home tonight and my wife and I and my 17 year old daughter and her friend had the absolute time of our lives.!!!! However, before I elaborate I want to state that personal perspective/perception is everything - my one concern about all of the reviews I read about every hotel/resort on Isla Mujeres was that I really knew nothing about the person and his/her expectations who was writing the critique. In short, what should I care about the comments from some stranger and what are his/standards? So, here is the background of me/us. My wife and I are teachers in North Carolina. She teaches Kindergarten and 1st grade. I teach High School Latin and Greek. Every other summer for the past 20 years we have traveled with my students to Europe (Italy, Greece, Britain, France, Switzerland and Aegean Island Cruises) via EF Tours or Explorica. Using our travel points through these companies we have traveled for free to Hawaii, 3 Carribean cruises,an Alaskan cruise and now to Mexico (2 free plane tickets) . We told our daughter that she and a friend could join us provided that they pay for their own plane tickets ($400) and we would pay for their all inclusive room. Our special deal we found was for $129 per night (all inclusive) at the Avalon. We also have been to Canada 6 times due to the generosity of my wife's uncle who owns a lake house 5 hours north of Toronto. We also travel to Atlanta every summer to enjoy a 3 game series of the Atlanta Braves. Whenever we travel in the US or Canada we stay at Choice privilages hotels(Comfort Inn and Quality Inns) .So, that is my preface to this review. It may apply to you or it may not. On any trip we mainly want to experience a new cultural experience and the local customs at the best deal possible. Now, enough about that. As concerns the Avalon - we found the rooms plenty big enough and very nice. The first night my wife and I and our daughter and her friend shared a room with 2 double beds (Room 7006) and it was fine. The next 5 nights my wife and I stayed in room 7006 and our dauhgter and her friend stayed next door in Room 7005. The view from these rooms was wonderful - waves crashing upon the rocks. Every night my wife and I opened our window and turned on the ceiling fan and listened to the surf. We did not find the beds uncomfortable at all (keep in mind we have slept in European beds for 10 trips)...but really, the beds were fine. Our daughter and her friend turned their AC on each night because they liked their room cooler and we had no complaints from them. As concerns the property/grounds, we found them to be immaculate. The staff was everywhere cleaning all day long. The property offers 3 beaches and here is the order to enjoy them in. Around 8am - 12am sit on the north side of the island where the ocean crashes against the rocks (there is a nice breeze and it is not too hot). From 12am - 3pm sit on the beach adjacent to the bar. From 3pm on sit down beside the bridge as it blocks the wind. The water on the bridge side of the property is shallow and calm and warm and translucent and wonderful to swim in. Also make sure you snorkle in the Kings pool (piscina dey regis). As concerns the all inclusive dining we found it to be very good and well worth the extra cost. And the bar and its staff is great. For myself I only ordered red wine as I do not particularly like beer and I do not like liquor. But my daughter and her friend loved all of their (virgin) varied pina coladas and my wife enjoyed all of her (non-virgin) varied pina coladas. The time for swimming is anytime from 7 am - 4 pm. The pool is also beautful (swim in it after you have swum in the ocean). Also remember to sunbath in the tile lounge chairs by the pool when the sun is out as they become especially warm. For those of you from NC and SC who might remember the old Sea Island Inn (Before it was bought and destroyed and turned into the "new" Sea Island Inn Conods) - for that remote few- the Avalon Reef reminds me of that place - a perfect family/couple/honeymoon resort. It is the perfect admixture of location, staff, and ambience. In conclusion, if you visit Isla Mujeres make sure you rent a golf cart and see the Tortugas and the Mayan Temple at Garrafon Park and do the scenic highway on your return. Also shop in town at least every other day as the merchants are fun to haggle with and their merchandise is beautiful. Also (from a personal point of veiw/recommendation) eat some pizza at Los Amigos on Hidalgo street. In conclusion, the staff at Avalon were wonderful and accommodating and our experience was more than satisfying. We always had running water in our rooms. There were times that our shower wasn't always hot - so I took a cool shower and waited a few minutes and then my wife had a hot shower. Was I clean? Yes. Did I care? I was clean, wasn't I ? My wife was happy. Good God, this hotel was one of the best experiences we as a family have ever had. I/we will come back again ASAP. What a trip !!!!! We really really really really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank stevedaniel
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2010

Dear Guest,
it was our true joy to have you at Avalon. We are really thankful that you took the time to write such a complete review of your vacation. It is so important for us to have this kind of feedback, not only to improve ourselves in our services but to see from your perspective (which is the most important ) what an Avalon Reef Isla Mujeres vacation experience is. We are hoping that you include us on your next visit to Isla Mujeres and please , next time you come, you have to request to stay in one or our villas, if you were ok at the tower you will love our villas. So, next time let us know when you are comming , to help you plan your vacations. Thank you again for your trust when choosing us.

Reviewed 24 November 2010

The island is wonderful, safe, and easy to get around. If you are looking for high end resorts this is not the place for you. The Avalon is nice with a great staff, pool is a little cold but overall very relaxing. I was on a working vacation shooting swimsuit models for 7 days which made it even better.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank abphoto
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2010

Dear guest,
we thank you for your review, hopefully next vacation you will choose us again. Thank you for taking the time to do your comments

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Isla Mujeres is a BEAUTIFUL place... But the Avalon was in need of help!

I have to say the rooms were VERY small in the main hotel with no balconies. We had no hot water for the 1st 24 hours.. They informed us that our floor (8th) was out of hot water and moved us to a similar small room on the 6th floor. In our new room we had hot water sometimes.. It was a hit and miss and it changed while showering too!! That is always a great surprise!!! We were told by other guests that the week before they had to move everyone to an Avalon Cancun property because the hotel was out of water all together!! They moved the couple that stayed thru this to a very nice 2 bedroom suite with a HUGE balcony, hot tub, kitchen and more..... for their inconvenience...

The front of the hotel and villa's looked nice! Painted and stucco in good condition.. But the back of the hotel was falling apart!! Stucco falling showing the metal reinforcement in the concrete walls... A main walkway had a wait bearing overhead supported by 2x4's!!! Now thats SCARY!!!!

The employees were great!! Kind and helpful!

The food was also VERY good!! Although they say they have 2 restaurants and one NEVER opened...

One day they did run out of drinking water, beer and tequila which was not good....

I was still kind of okay with everything as it is Mexico... Just wanted to enjoy my vacation and laugh a lot of this off... The location is GREAT and the hotel could be SO MUCH more if they would put some money into it!!

But.....

When we were trying to check out, they informed us that we owed 4 thousand peso's for extras?! I asked for what and they could not tell me... We did the all inclusive and there should have not been any extra charge.. They also informed us that the front desk agent ran our credit cards in USD vs. Peso's which I had no problem redoing that..... But would not pay the 4K pesos until we knew what it was for..... Explained we put up with a lot of things going wrong @ the hotel and didn't want to pay anymore!! Asked to speak to a manager and was told they were not there.... Finally ... low and behold the General Manager WAS there! We went back and met with her. We felt after all we had been thru the least they could do was comp us one night.. She said she would but they would take it out of the Front Desk Agents salary!!!!!! I about lost it @ that point!!!!!!! I explained that it was not his fault and NONE of the employees should EVER pay for any guest's inconveniences!! No wonder they were having a problem getting staff to work there!!!

Final out come was she said that she would take one night off and have the hotel absorb the cost... Which after we checked out cards.. turned out to be about 40USD .. .Not even close to 1 night!!!

All of this took about 45 minutes.. So what I was no longer able to make the stops in the market on my way back to the ferry before departure... It also started to poor down rain and the manager would not even comp us a cab... She was as cold as the Siberia!

So with all of that... It started to get hard to remember the fun we had...

Their are other hotels in the same area that I would stay @ over the Avalon..

But.... I would go back one day... But only if they refurbish the property and get new management...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank traveltraveltime
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We stayed at Avalon Reef from Nov 6-13th. We were a little disappointed in the rooms when we got there, they were not the rooms that we saw on the internet (they advertize the rooms in the villas and we had rooms in the older part of the hotel.) However, we had booked a 2 bedroom condo and we had our own private end of the hall-two bedrooms, a hallway leading into a small suite with a sitting area, kitchen, breakfast bar and a balcony that overlooked the pool, beach and ocean. The views were absolutely gorgeous out of every window and the rooms were clean but furnished sparsley. There was no silverware in the kitchen but the staff brought us anything we wanted and usually in a timely manner. They were very friendly as they came to fill the hottub or bring ice, etc. and the lobby staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Alejandro. The only glitch was that the hotel's hot water went out on Friday morning and for about 5 or 6 hours we had no water whatsoever. We thought they should have offered every guest a bottle of water at least to brush our teeth in but we were told they would charge us for the water. Still no hot water by the time we left on Saturday at noon but we made do with cold showers. The Avalon is in the most beautiful spot on the island and although it may not be the fanciest place we ever stayed in, it was very relaxing and the staff was nice. We loved the little town and felt very safe walking around there-we had great food and pretty reasonable prices. We definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank idahopotatoes
Reviewed 18 November 2010

The staff and food were great, but the hotel really shouldn't be open. Even Mexico must have some kind of building codes that would shut this place down. We checked in and had no hot water for 24 hours and they said it was the whole floor and moved us to another room on another floor. New people checking in were put on the floor we were moved from, and they seemed to have the same problem. Everyone seemed to be moved once or twice during their stay. In our new room, we had water sometimes, only cold water sometimes, and once we did we had hot water. I took showers in the gym. The last night, our AC went out. Hey, it's Mexico - expect nothing and you won't be dissapointed. Make the most of it, laugh it off, and have a good time. You're on vacation. When we went to check out and were told we owed 4,000 pesos in extras. We had the all inclusive plan, so we refused to pay. This put me over the edge. I can put up with almost anything but being ripped off! After an hour of being told there was no one we could speak too, we got to speak to the hotel general manager. She offered to comp us and bill the front desk clerk. I hope she goes down with the ship - it's sinking fast.. Check out the photos. Only one bar and one restaurant were open. We were told the hotel was full, but most of the rooms were empty or just didn't have power. We were told the hotel was short staffed - rats leaving the sinking ship. Who knows? It's a great location and I hope someone is able to rebuild.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Supersamtheman
ServiceAvalon, Public Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2010

Dear Guest, we are sorry for not fullfilling your expectations while you were staying at the Avalon Reef. We thank you for your comments and you can be sure we will be working hard to garantee that everything is perfect if you choose to come back. Thank you again for all your remarks.