“Good value for the money”
Review of Hotel Isleno

Hotel Isleno
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel was new, clean and great value for 600 pesos a night......I had a room close to the main street which did get loud at times but it was air conditioned and the staff were friendly. The only negative was the tv and not being able to watch a movie without having to go downstairs where they have to run the dvd and control it. More work for them and not convenient for me.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JulieAnne L

Reviewed 22 April 2012

made contact thru email with the front desk of hotel isleno..we emailed back and forth half dozen times..chatted with Isaias and Grupo..they said they had my wife and i arriving for four nights end of february..they even sent me photos of rooms..was very excited to get to isla mujeres..i made sure i made copies of all the emails for backup..when we arrived front desk said there was no such reservation in my name..i brought out the emails..they were speechless..for two hours we stood in the lobby and waited.they talked on the phone.another gentleman showed up (Isaias)..finally said they were sorry but we do not have a room for you!! lucky we found a room right away at hotel francis arlene just down the street..i walked by Isleno the next four days with my hands in the air, manager came out telling us he was sorry and offered us coffee..wow thats going to change my view towards them...wont ever stay there!!

Room Tip: when you go i believe they just flip a coin..if its heads you get a room! tails you lose
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank steven c
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was our 10th vacation to Isla Mujeres. I emailed the hotel for rates and was quoted 1000 pesos per day. I did not book, but waited until we arrived on the island. Advertised rate on the digital marquis was 700 pesos, much cheaper. Upon entering the hotel I waited for 5 min at the desk. Even rang the bell. Finally a maid giggled and roused the desk clerk from the couch around the corner that was out of view. He was listening to his iPod so loud he could not hear the bell. No big deal, we checked in w our 2 kids age 3 and 6 and were escorted to our nicely appointed room. Beds were pretty comfortable. The following day upon exiting our room there was a large puddle by the door. We alerted isaias the manager. He suggested that my children clogged the toilet. I assured him that was not the case. When returned later we found the tile shower had been re-caulked. The puddle continued to reappear throughout our stay but again not a big deal, I just walked around it. The day before we checked out my son wet the bed. I was honest about what happened and apologized. Again isais the manager was who my husband alerted. He shrugged and said the maid had left and the linen closet was locked. Furious with this response I went down to the lobby and asked him for a new sheet. He refused, and stated that I should make my child sleep in the soiled sheets as a lesson. I told him I don't even make my pets sleep in their own excriment and refusing to help me was not an option. He told me he could spare one hand towel but the closet was locked and he could not give me another sheet. Knowing the hotel had many vacant rooms I demanded he give me one of those sheets and told him I would essentially stand at the counter and continue to stare at him until he handled the problem. He said he would bring one up. 5 minutes later a bell boy appeared with a neatly folded sheet from the linen closet. The monster of a manager Isias had the key the entire time. I will NEVER darken their doorstep again. Local friends tell me a rich local family built the hotel for their son in law to give him purpose and he has no idea how to run it. I will say Luis at the desk in the morning and the maid staff were a joy to work with. Hopefully it will change hands and the servos issues will be rectified.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank LaCondenada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We initially booked two nights in this completely new hotel, but later decided to stay for two weeks instead. Rooms were low priced (600 pesos) and service/cleaning was great! We asked the manager supposed to get this hotel up running for some help when we wanted to visit isla contoy - he left all hos papers, made some phonecalls and the day after we spent our best day ever with a great agency. Ond thing to say, you cant find a better place taking into consideration the cost of staying here.. We will for sure come back to this hotel if there will be a second visit to isla mujeres.

Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Maximus_noruega
Reviewed 28 February 2012

after paying for two weeks, (with a signed contract) the day we tried to get our room we were told it was already rented. we were finally able to learn that another couple offered more money, and a longer stay. when i produced the signed contract, which included the prepayment for the room all they could say was "I'm sorry, but the room is not available". due to a fishing tournament we had to take another room another flight up. sure the rooms are new and nice, but the management of this hotel is far from professional. I refused to let this ruin my vacation, but will never stay at this hotel again.

randall s

Room Tip: don't trust the management to honor your reservations, even if they are paid in advance
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Randall S
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I arrived late the day before and booked 1 night at the rocomar, overpriced room with a very noisy AC unit won't stay there again. I was walking around looking for a room for 2 nights and saw the sign at the isleno for 600 pesos per night, less than 50 dollars. After waiting for the room to be cleaned I was given a tour of the room and I was very impressed, everything is new for the 32 in LCD tv, beds, walls and very nice bathroom. The AC is quiet I have WiFi in the room and there is zero noise from outside. The front desk was very helpful... The only drawback is cash only no credit cards but this is a minor issue with a bank around the corner. All in all an excellent deal, wish I'd known about this before spending 120$ at the rocomar.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank capeChef
Reviewed 27 February 2012

If they keep the price at 600 pesos per night ($50 USD tax included) this new 18 unit hotel is a gem and it's going to give some of the other hotels on the island, who are overcharging terribly, some healthy competition. Yes the rooms are sparkly clean, you can almost see yourself in the sheen of the ceramic tiled floor. Glass enclosed showers with a rainfall shower head. Copious amounts of hot water. Frigid quiet air-conditioning units, mini fridge. Free WiFi works best in the room if you're on the second floor or you can use the first or second floor WiFi lounges. The price does not include breakfast, so walk north a few blocks to the public market, where you can get an amazing 35 pesos breakfast. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Location is perfect. It's just a 5 minute walk to everything: Upon arrival, it's just a 5 block walk north-east from the ferry dock, it's a 5 minute walk to North beach with wide expanses of creamy smooth sand and calm waters and then a block to the west is the main pedestrian stroll with gourmet restaurants galore. In the morning, before it gets too hot, be sure to take a walk or a jog on the new walkway at the edge of ocean, a block to the east. Come quick before they raise the prices!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo