“Winter getaway over New Years 2009”
Review of Villa La Bella

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Villa La Bella
Ranked #2 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Cary, Illinois
“Winter getaway over New Years 2009”
Reviewed 11 January 2009

One of the most beautiful relaxing B&B's we have stayed at. The view and sounds of the ocean are incredible. Climbing down the huge rocks and walking through the cave to the shelling beach. Experience the crashing waves upon the rocks and yourself as you wade from one end of the shoreline to the other. Bring a heavy duty plastic bag so you have something to carry the sea shells home. Walk through an authentic mexican village and experience for yourself how wonderful the mexican people really are. Rent a golf cart and drive around this tiny island and dream on how you to can move here someday. Go downtown "Centro" and walk the closed off street for fine food, drinks, entertainment and shopping. Go for desert at the Cafe Mango only 3 blocks from the Villa la Bella, and say hello to Lori and Polo from Madison, Wisconsin who moved there and opened a business. Great time, great people and great relaxing place in the mexican sun. Mother Nature was kind to us as well as Ashley and Curtis. A very nice experience we should all get to enjoy.

• Liked — Crashing ocean waves at your footsteps
  • Disliked — Bring your own snacks.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Owen-Randi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Hebrew first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 January 2009

This is my second review! The first was not posted for some reason, but I am determined to share what a wonderful experience we had at Villa La Bella! Perhaps I praised the owners Curtis and Ashley so much Travel Advisor thought it was a fake review!! We are from Charleston, SC and are known here for our "Hospitality" so when we say Villa La Bella is the place to go to be treated like family we know what we are talking about!
The "treatment" starts long before you step foot on the island! In the welcome letter that you receive there are suggestions on everything from transportation to the island to what type of flip flops to wear! Once you arrive, the staff, "the guys", are all friendly, helpful and fun! We were greeted by Ashley and Curtis and shown to our beautifully decorated poolside room. The views from the room were outstanding! The warm breeze through the room at night was heaven. Every morning was started with a creative and artistically prepared meal by Curtis. It tasted great too!! Ashley never failed to appear with a smile and a fresh flower for all the ladies! A very nice touch! Then come the recommendations! Do listen and follow! Curtis and Ashley will guide you to little know, of the beaten track, wonderful establishments all over the island! The best Mojito, the Cuban fish soup! The best fire cooked fish, the best place for a "romantic sunset dinner".
I suggest you let them arrange a gulf cart for you and start connecting to dots on your map! We had a fantastic time! I don't think there was a street on Isla Mujeres the we did not go down….twice!!
We used to be the bracelet wearing All Inclusive type (in fact it was during a 5 day get-away to Cancun that we discovered Villa La Bella several years ago). But now that we are grown up we enjoy the quiet, more private setting of a B&B or a private villa.
Since Villa La Bella only has 6 rooms, you are almost guaranteed to have the place to yourself much of the time! During our stay we meet several wonderful, like minded, couples! We made many new friends and were sad to see them depart. But the next morning a breakfast we would meet another great couple. The island is small so you seem to "meet up" with people you've meet at the "Bella". We shared meals, cabs, golf carts and more than a few drinks! Memories to last a lifetime!
I do hope my review is posted this time as I would hate to think someone, somewhere went to Isla Mujeres and did not know what a great place this is!! But then again, as the title says this is just one more great review!!!!

• Liked — Service!
  • Disliked — Leaving!
1 Thank Sun_and_Rum_Lover
Somerset, NJ
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Aahhhhh, Villa la Bella, what more can we say about this perfect little island B&B. This review is way overdue. We visited Isla in June of 2008, and now that we are finally off of "island time", we are ready to plan our next trip to Villa. Our stay was six days of great breakfasts, pina coladas and pure relaxation. The staff is nothing short of wonderful. They were very attentive and provided great insider tips to the island - we wouldn't go anywhere without the homemade "treasure" map Ashley & Curtis supplied. They gave suggestions on food, shopping, and sightseeing.

We stayed in the honeymoon suite and it was great - big bed, two balconies, a big shower, and a great view. Being right on the ocean provided a nice breeze, the air conditioner isn't really needed but is there (and nice and cold) if you prefer. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious and clean. The housekeeping staff kept the room in top shape - every time we returned to the room, we found all the clutter and mess we left behind neatly arranged and organized.

Each morning, we woke up to a beautiful view of the ocean. After a great breakfast with Villa's delicious coffee, we'd relax next to (or in) the swimming pool enjoying a freshly-made pina colada and just watching the surf break on the beach. Even though there was no lunch or dinner provided at Villa, restaurants are all around- a quick walk down the street or a taxi/golf cart ride around the island. We had no problem eating. In-room fridge was perfect for keeping sodas and snacks cold.

No kids, no phones, no internet, no TV, no alarm clock - no problem. If you need to relax, this is the place. Villa is conveniently located in the center of the island, a few minutes drive to downtown and other island sights. Having been to Isla before and having stayed "downtown", there is definitely an advantage to staying at Villa La Bella - you avoid the loud crowds of day-trippers coming off the ferries from Cancun and when you get back from a day of sightseeing, you have a quiet place to return to.

There is no better way to spend a relaxing, layed-back vacation than sitting in a quiet, ocean-side B&B with the surf & Jimmy Buffett in the background. Villa la Bella, we will definitely be seeing you soon!

• Liked — Quiet location. Relaxing atmosphere. Laid-back and casual.
  • Disliked — I don't live there.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike_N_Eileen
California
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I found myself with a few days between planned trips and celebrations with various groups of friends and relatives whos schedules didn't quite match. I searched for a special place to spend my 52 birthday alone since it fell between the cracks. I picked Villa La Bella after a diligent search.

Ashley and Curtis have made their dream come true at Villa La Bella, and I am so happy they decided to share it! with me! I felt like a kid again when I spent summers in old Key West just enjoying the beach and shelling and drinking the best home made Pina Coladas.

I took a taxi to Puerto Juarez as I had a big suitcase, and the crew were very helpful getting me and my bags on board. The ferry took about 20 minutes and 9 dollars to get to Isla Mujeres, then I followed the crowd to the taxi stand. (The cabs are all red, and they have a protocol that they all respect. My cabbie did not seem to speak English, but when I said I had no money and asked him for the ATM at the bank (VLB does not accept credit cards or ATMs) he took me there right away. He did get questioned by other cabbies as to why he was picking me up downtown, but they understood when he said he was waiting for me at the bank.

I don't know what else to say that has not already been said about Villa La Bella. I loved every minute of it and will always make a stop every time I am on Isla Mujeres. I am just so happy to know a place like this and people like Ashley and Curtis exist.

They say a picture speaks speaks a thousand words. I posted 10 pictures previously and here are 10 more.

Villa La Bella is one of the most authentic real places I have ever had the privelege of staying at.

Happy New Year and all my very best to Curtis, Ashley and their staff and to all of you!

• Liked — location, view, accomodations, staff, food, everything!
  • Disliked — I loved everything about Villa La Bella.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Ladybird50
New Carlisle, Ohio
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We just returned from 5 days/4 nights at the beautiful Villa la Bella. Previously, we had always stayed at the Avalon Reef Club resort and wanted a more "authentic" Mexican experience for our 25th anniversary. And we sure got it! Colors, flavors, attention to detail and more! Our hosts were Curtis (think super intelligent surfer dude) and Ashley (think super smart/perky Southern Belle beauty pageant winner.) We mean no disrespect by these descriptions at all - it is what makes Villa la Bella so great. Curtis makes you feel like part of the family with his stories (and his incredible breakfasts!) and Ashley lights up the place just by walking into a room! We stayed in the honeymoon suite for the first 3 nights: huge, full of life with two large balconies. We never needed the AC on as the wind would circulate through the suite leaving us in perfect comfort day and night. It is located on top of the bar, but we never heard music or conversation - just the waves coming ashore. The last night (when rates changed from low to high season) we moved down to a poolside bungalow. While much smaller, we liked the decor. It was noisier, but still nice. The grounds are simply incredible: every shell is in it's place - plenty of palapas to sit under, with smaller palapas for lighting. Chairs and lounges of all kinds, with hammocks and outside beds aplenty. It is the perfect place to rest and/or get some sun. While there is no beach per se, There are sandy areas and lots of rocks - and a cave - so much fun to explore. We seemed to enjoy "shelling" as much as snorkeling this trip! The water was rough the time we were there, but we still saw people swimming in the ocean near the Villa. Curtis and Ashley are quick to take care of any need, be it restaurant advice or reserving a snorkeling trip or getting you a golf cart. We ate at Bally Hoo (great Brazilian fish), baseball field tacos (incredible food incredibly cheap) among other places, but our favorite HAD to be Varadero's Cuban restaurant. The authentic atmosphere and rustic simplicity were equal to the fantastic food (and those mojitos!!!) What a dining experience! We loved the policies at Villa la Bella - the strictly enforced quiet time, the no children policy (sorry, we have kids, too - but we came for peace and quiet) - everything well-thought out for the comfort of their guests. The Mexican people were kind and patient with us. We NEVER felt unsafe, even walking at night. This is REAL Mexico. We will never go back to a bland all-inclusive resort! There is so much to see, feel and taste.
We had a blast with our new friends we met at VLB: Hola to our buds from Boston, Houston and Canada. As another reviewer commented, VLB seems to attract like people. And the guests really did enjoy each other (and I think Ashley and Curtis enjoyed bantering with us, as well!)
Curtis' breakfasts are incredible creations - as much for the eye as the stomach. Beautifully presented, and huge quantities. We always considered it an early lunch, and with a small snack (usually from Ronco's minimart down the street) we never did lunch and had a large dinner at one of the fantastic places on Isla. There is SO MUCH I can't fit in here. You'll just have to trust me when I say this place is MAGICAL. It was probably the best trip we've ever taken (anywhere.) And we'll be back!

• Liked — Everything! :)
  • Disliked — Having to leave and go back home! :(
2 Thank fotodude
TUlsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 25 December 2008

Everything about this place was amazing. From the scenery to the service, it is incredible. Ashley and Curtis are wonderful people and have definitely made their home welcoming. We have already recommended Villa La Bella to friends and loved ones. Thank you guys so much. We hope to see you again someday!

• Liked — peaceful surroundings and the palapa suite
  • Disliked — we can't stay there with our kids
1 Thank jesprincess
mount vernon
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I had read all the reviews about this property and how great Ashley and Curtis are. We had to experience it ourself.
It's beyond what we ever expected. Great Service, Great accomodations, Great Food, and most important Great Relaxation.

We spend most of our vacation days in Cancun at the Ritz Carlton and wished we would have spend all of our time at Villa La Bella that is how amazing it is.

Ashley and Curtis are awesome. They have wonderful tips . We tried a lot of their food recommendations and were impressed of how great everything was.

You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Curtis and Ashley Hospitality
2 Thank cchavez555