“peaceful and beautiful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Punta Piedra

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Punta Piedra
Chattanooga, Tn.
“peaceful and beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at Punta Piedra I
It was our first time staying on the south end of the island and loved being in the pool watching the carribean waves crashing. we were hoping to snorkle while we were there but the waves were too strong during our stay.
it was helpful that there was a mini fridge and sm. kitchenette since we were away from town.

Yo <3 Isla Mujeres!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank emilygillespie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

Stayed at Punta Piedra with my son (20s) & had an excellent time. Reading in a lounge chair by the pool & ocean in the morning, seeing the sights on & around the island during the day, quick dip in the pool in the afternoon, dinner in town trying to guess where the other tourists were from. We walked into town one day & took cabs in & out of town the rest of the time. The frig & coffee maker in the kitchenette were invaluable. There was even coffee provided. Having a TV & safe in the room was nice. We booked via Mornings in Mexico, even though we made our reservations only a few days before we got there, everything went smoothly. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed August 2008
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2008

My husband and I spent December 11-29 2007 at Punta Piedra. We were very comfortable there, we were made very welcomed by Amy when we arrived and appreciated her sense of humor, her wanting us to be comfortable and to have a good time. Very laid back!! The accommodations were fine for us, we don't need a lot of fancy shamcy stuff to have a great vacation. It was very clean and tidy all the time, and I really liked the pool to cool off in when the sun actually did shine haha!! Your neighbors are certainly close, we never felt imposed upon at all. We chose most of the time to walk into town, which was a comfortable 20 minute walk which after eating all that fried food was helpful. The taxis are cheap, but we like walking so it worked for us very well. It was a nice quiet little spot in a busy world, and with the waves breaking gave us a sense of being away from town.

• Liked — simple
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn H
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at Punta Piedra in Isla Mujeres, and we have nothing but positive things to say about this place. Given we were traveling during the busy holiday season, we booked the property months in advance. Maria (our booking POC) was extremely helpful; she promtly answered all of our questions and even sent us very detailed directions on how to arrive to Isla Mujeres and to Punta Piedra. Amy (the owner) made us feel very welcome during our stay and even let us borrow her iron :O)

Definitely a place for the relaxed traveler who wants to experience island living... a simple room with a breath-taking ocean view and the sound of waves crashing as you rock on a hammock by the pool!

• Liked — Peacefulness, Views, Room had what we needed (nothing more, nothing less), Location
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2006

My husband and I leave Saturday for yet another stay. I initially found Punta Piedra surfing the web. We were introduced to Isla Mujeres on a day trip from Cancun. We promised ourselves next time we vacationed in this area it would be on the island. I can't recall if this is our third or fourth stay but we enjoy it there. In April of 2005 we invited my brother and his family to come with us. They stayed in the house next to our unit. It's far enough from town that you can relax and have a feeling of seclusion as there are no properties connecting to the units. In reading the reviews I have to disagree with the feeling of lack of privacy. The grounds keepers no way interfered with our stay. Yes, they were out early in the morning doing their work. It gets hot "soon" at certain times of the year. They were very kind to us as were Amy and her husband. The beach may not be what people are looking for it. It isn't all smooth sand but I think the rocks enhance the sound of the waves coming into shore. I found it very soothing to listen to. The kitchen is more than adequate for your needs. It's perfecting for fixing breakfast and lunch. We always chose to dine out in the evenings. It gives you the opportunity to interact with the local people. I would like to add they are lovely, friendly people. My only regret is I don't speak their language but all in all we manage to communicate our destinations to the taxi drivers. There is no shortage of them and they are very helpful and courteous. I don't forsee us not returning every chance we get

• Liked — the beach and water is right out side your back door
  • Disliked — TV reception and not a lot channels to choose from.... but all in all the least of my worries.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a good book and leave it for the next guest. Amazing opportunity to catch up if you are a reader.
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank susieq84066
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2006

I've heard some people say that Punta Piedra is good for what you pay for, and I still don't know if I agree. Granted, it's not expensive, but there are a lot of other places with similar rates that I bet would be a little more comfortable than my stay at Punta Piedra was.

Please understand that I'm not a prissy guy. I don't need things to be perfect or anything. That being said, I didn't get a decent night's sleep there until about the third or fourth night, when I finally got the sense to take some sleeping pills and buy some earplugs. The pills were because the bed was ridiculously uncomfortable - a thin, lumpy mattress with no box spring on two twin bed frames that had been lashed together. The earplugs were to drown out the sound of the swamp cooler, which sounded not unlike there was a twin prop airplane in the living room. (And as far as I could tell it didn't have a thermostat to automatically switch off. It was either on all night or off, and let me tell you, when it's June in the Mexican Riviera, you don't dare turn the a/c off...) It was also to cover the noise of the manager's dogs who like to stay up barking all night. (They also like to jump out of the bushes and bark at you when you walk down the sidewalk. If I was afraid of dogs, I would have been legitimately scared.)

There are plenty of good things to say about PP also. The view from the upper balcony is pretty striking. The place is furnished and provides you with most of what you'll need for your stay there, including bottled water, a cooking range, refrigerator, toaster oven, blender, etc. The pool is small, but we enjoyed it quite a bit. It's perfect for a quick dip to cool off in the middle of the day. The place is clean and well-cared for.

It's also worth noting that the construction that was mentioned in a few other reviews had been pretty much wrapped up by the time we were there.

Punta Piedra isn't a BAD place to stay, but next time we'll find someplace different. You can find much more comfortable accomodations with a much better location on the island for the price you pay. And you might not need earplugs, either...

• Stayed June 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2006

Stayed in January 2006 and agree with mixed bag post.
Also, not alot of privacy inside your rooms. Because the beds are real close to the slideing glass door which leads to the common pool area, you cannot open the door for a breeze and fresh air without everyone being able to see right in your room. The plastic verticle blinds bang and rattle when the glass is open if they are not pulled right back. No opening the window for breeze unless you want to risk someone staring at you in your bed early in the morning. Something to think about if privacy is an issue to you. If you are comfortable with the group that is in the other rooms and sharing the pool area with you plus the caretakers that are walking around early in the morning this probably won't bother you.
As said though, good value for your buck otherwise.

• Stayed January 2006