“Losing count but soon to be our 4th stay....we love it”
Review of Punta Piedra

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Punta Piedra
USA
“Losing count but soon to be our 4th stay....we love it”
Reviewed 24 November 2006

My husband and I leave Saturday for yet another stay. I initially found Punta Piedra surfing the web. We were introduced to Isla Mujeres on a day trip from Cancun. We promised ourselves next time we vacationed in this area it would be on the island. I can't recall if this is our third or fourth stay but we enjoy it there. In April of 2005 we invited my brother and his family to come with us. They stayed in the house next to our unit. It's far enough from town that you can relax and have a feeling of seclusion as there are no properties connecting to the units. In reading the reviews I have to disagree with the feeling of lack of privacy. The grounds keepers no way interfered with our stay. Yes, they were out early in the morning doing their work. It gets hot "soon" at certain times of the year. They were very kind to us as were Amy and her husband. The beach may not be what people are looking for it. It isn't all smooth sand but I think the rocks enhance the sound of the waves coming into shore. I found it very soothing to listen to. The kitchen is more than adequate for your needs. It's perfecting for fixing breakfast and lunch. We always chose to dine out in the evenings. It gives you the opportunity to interact with the local people. I would like to add they are lovely, friendly people. My only regret is I don't speak their language but all in all we manage to communicate our destinations to the taxi drivers. There is no shortage of them and they are very helpful and courteous. I don't forsee us not returning every chance we get

• Liked — the beach and water is right out side your back door
  • Disliked — TV reception and not a lot channels to choose from.... but all in all the least of my worries.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a good book and leave it for the next guest. Amazing opportunity to catch up if you are a reader.
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank susieq84066

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 18 July 2006

I've heard some people say that Punta Piedra is good for what you pay for, and I still don't know if I agree. Granted, it's not expensive, but there are a lot of other places with similar rates that I bet would be a little more comfortable than my stay at Punta Piedra was.

Please understand that I'm not a prissy guy. I don't need things to be perfect or anything. That being said, I didn't get a decent night's sleep there until about the third or fourth night, when I finally got the sense to take some sleeping pills and buy some earplugs. The pills were because the bed was ridiculously uncomfortable - a thin, lumpy mattress with no box spring on two twin bed frames that had been lashed together. The earplugs were to drown out the sound of the swamp cooler, which sounded not unlike there was a twin prop airplane in the living room. (And as far as I could tell it didn't have a thermostat to automatically switch off. It was either on all night or off, and let me tell you, when it's June in the Mexican Riviera, you don't dare turn the a/c off...) It was also to cover the noise of the manager's dogs who like to stay up barking all night. (They also like to jump out of the bushes and bark at you when you walk down the sidewalk. If I was afraid of dogs, I would have been legitimately scared.)

There are plenty of good things to say about PP also. The view from the upper balcony is pretty striking. The place is furnished and provides you with most of what you'll need for your stay there, including bottled water, a cooking range, refrigerator, toaster oven, blender, etc. The pool is small, but we enjoyed it quite a bit. It's perfect for a quick dip to cool off in the middle of the day. The place is clean and well-cared for.

It's also worth noting that the construction that was mentioned in a few other reviews had been pretty much wrapped up by the time we were there.

Punta Piedra isn't a BAD place to stay, but next time we'll find someplace different. You can find much more comfortable accomodations with a much better location on the island for the price you pay. And you might not need earplugs, either...

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
British Columbia
Reviewed 14 March 2006

Stayed in January 2006 and agree with mixed bag post.
Also, not alot of privacy inside your rooms. Because the beds are real close to the slideing glass door which leads to the common pool area, you cannot open the door for a breeze and fresh air without everyone being able to see right in your room. The plastic verticle blinds bang and rattle when the glass is open if they are not pulled right back. No opening the window for breeze unless you want to risk someone staring at you in your bed early in the morning. Something to think about if privacy is an issue to you. If you are comfortable with the group that is in the other rooms and sharing the pool area with you plus the caretakers that are walking around early in the morning this probably won't bother you.
As said though, good value for your buck otherwise.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank lauralye
Reviewed 9 March 2006

Any review of PP needs to detail the bad with the good; to do otherwise is misleading and unfair to people spending their money to take a trip to Isla.
Punta Piedra itself is a nice house with great service and great value. Bottom line is that you are getting good accomodation for the price. The suites are clean and spacious with handy amenities (fridge, sink, TV, utensils etc.), and they open up onto a small but very nice pool with hammocks and a (close) view of the ocean. It is pleasant for sure.
The problem with PP is its location. You aren't in the town close to the good beaches and amenities, yet you aren't in a quiet, calm, "enclosed" or serine part of the island. You can walk to town, but it is a good 20 minute walk in the heat that you probably won't be into several times a day. In addition, you are right in the middle of a built up part of the island with almost no vegetation and a lot of concrete. At the moment either side of PP is a building site, and I imagine it will be some years before the "strip" where PP is found becomes a finished area that is generally pleasant to stay in. There is a lot of trash on the road and in the area, and a major neighbourhood is located very close to the building. The ocean in front of PP is very pretty, but probably too rough to swim in, something else to consider. There is a bit of sand in front, and that was nice, but the excellent views down the coastline expose an extremely barren, tree-free environment in this particular part of the island- something to consider if you are hoping for shady palms and foliage.
A tour around Isla will give you a very different impression of the island. The southern quarter or so is less developed, greener, and looks far more pleasant to stay in. The west coast in particular has accomodation in shady, green areas that front nice beaches with calm water. We checked out Mar y Sol, another Mornings in Mexico property, and it looked to be everything we wanted from PP- basic but tucked away amongst the trees in a pretty and serene setting. If I was going again I would either stay in this area or in the town itself, which is a fantastic place to walk around or eat in. The hotels lining North Beach on the northern tip look nice but the beachfront environs, aside from the perfect beach and water, are not very appealing, again with a lot of concrete and generally unattractive beachfront development. Obviously the hurricane did a number of the island, but the quiet south and west coast are best bets that should guarantee you get the best of Isla in terms of that vacation environment most are looking for. Cheers.

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2006

We loved Isla Mujeres on the whole and knew we would not have a beach at Punta Piedra, being on the eastern side of the island. But we had hoped to at least be able to go swimming near home, but the water was way too rough and dangerous. The closest beach was a 30 minute walk away or a 20 peso taxi ride (plus tip, which they seemed to expect). The room was clean and Amy was great with advice. We felt that if they built high fences to block out major construction on both sides we would have enjoyed staying here much more. It would create a serene, relaxing environment. But because of the loud banging and unsightly construction sites littering the entire island (except for the town) we would not return for at least 3 years.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northern California
Reviewed 7 November 2005

My family had a wonderful stay at Casa Punta Piedra up until we were evacuated from the island due to Hurricane Wilma. It is (was) a fantastic place to stay. The night before we left the roof of the balcony blew off piece by piece. I am sure the damage was extensive as the house sits on Carb. side of the island very close to the water. I am sure Amy and Luis will rebuild/ repair as soon as possible.
Any of the Punta Piedra accomodations are a great deal - the best on the island. Very clean, ocean views and a pool. A few things to consider: it is a 15 - 20 min walk to town or a taxi ride. The beach is very rocky and you cannot easily walk on it. The water is very rough on this side of the island and swimming is not recommended. If you have a small child all of the accomodations have a pool right outside without any gate/fence to stop a child from going in. Casa Punta Piedra has a construction site right next to it. They start work at 7 A.M. The crew is not very loud, but workers are there all day so it does limit some privacy.
If we ever make it back to Isla we will definitly stay at Punta Piedra.

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank Retrodaisy
Saint Paul
Reviewed 24 October 2005

More bang for your buck! Where else can you wake up in the morning to have the cool, crisp spray of the Carribean entering your suite? For those who don't need to be pampered, yet have clean sheets, clean towels, a pool and an awesome view, Punta Piedra is the place for you! Next time we're trying the house! Thanks Luis and Amy! You're awesome....

Stayed May 2005