“Home Away From Home”
Review of Hotel Las Palmas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Hotel Las Palmas
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We are second-time visitors to the Las Palmas, and I can't think of a better place to spend Christmas. I like to travel to new places rather than return to spots I've visited before, but because of Kate and Safari at the Las Palmas, we'll be back to Isla Mujeres. The rooms are clean and quite nice, the rooftop deck and kitchen are wonderful, and the honesty and trustworthiness of the hotel owners and staff are commendable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JenPeterson310

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed at Las Palmas for 6 nights from Dec 26 through to Jan 1. It's a warm inviting place with three levels. My room was on the first level, my friends stayed on the second. On the third level is a big kitchen where we met a lot of fellow residents and had great conversations. I would definitely recommend this hotel! it was one block from the beach, across the street from market, and around the corner from all the restaurants and shops. Only a five minute walk to the ferry too. You can not go wrong staying here unless you are interested in keeping to yourself and not meeting people.

Room Tip: I liked the room on the first floor because it was easy to go in and out of the hotel
2 Thank LauraGreen40
Pomona, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I've stayed twice at this great value hotel! Las palmas has great communal spaces with great guests! Minutes from the beach without the high prices and stuffiness of higher end places. Kate and Safari are great hosts and I always feel like I'm at "home" at Las Palmas. Until next time...

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Karen M
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Very homey hotel just a minute's walk to the Caribbean. Great atmosphere for socializing. Kate and Safari are so welcoming, and very helpful with any questions we've ever had. This is our second stay, and we will be booking our third stay before we leave. What a gem!!!

2 Thank Team Thompson T
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Loved it and loved all of the people! Great location. I would definitely stay here again. The rooms are sort of small but clean and well worth it. The communal spaces create a great atmosphere for socializing. Loved it!

• Stayed December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This little gem of a hotel is the sort of place you dream about when your tired after travelling............it's homely, pretty, very clean and Kate the owner is a very geniune ,kind friendly helpful person.................(no, she didn't pay me to say that). It's 5minutes away from that amazing beach, and all the eateries, shops etc that you might need. It doesn't feel like a hotel, because it's small and the layout of everything makes for a very relaxed chilled atmosphere. If I had a small hotel this is exactly what i would like it to be like!

1 Thank shoooz
Selma, Oregon
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I loved Las Palmas. We booked last minute, so the the only room available was the suite on the rooftop deck. I suggest this room. Its inexpensive, and its very big and bright. The owner was an angel. We told her we wanted to pay cash, and needed to hit up an ATM, so she just said we could sign in and pay the next day when it was convenient for us. No big deal.

The atmosphere is wonderful. Laid back, bohemian kinda vibe. I'm pretty bohemian myself, so I felt right at home. I do no require a consierge and someone to polish my flipflops. Its Mexico people. We met great people there, and after traveling for a month through the Yucatan and Belize with just my boyfriend and I, that was rather nice to have the option to socialize. They plan a pot luck dinner about once a week, and they have it upstairs on the rooftop deck as there is a beautiful community open kitchen up there to use at your leisure. We opted to attend, and picked up some food from the giant new supermarket on the south end of the island (highly recommend). It was a lovely evening, and when I was tired, I just had to walk 15 ft to my room. It was not noisy, and I slept fine (and I'm a light sleeper!). I also like privacy as I am part hermit, and I felt I had plenty because our room was so spacious and big, and the laid back nature of the people and vibe here didn't make me feel closed in on, so to speak.

I loved the dipping pool; I thought it was perfect for just sunbathing on the deck and in need of a cooling off. Any kids mainly stay out of it because its small, and they can just go to the beach for all that.

I'm not the best at writing reviews since I don't do it...well, ever, so I can't really capture the wonderful feel of this place into words well. If you aren't a stuffy, snobby, uptight person but do have standards on comfort, cleanliness, appeal, and hospitality, this is the place. I felt it was my home away from home, and this was most welcome after a month of travel.

Also! Most comfortable bed I found IN ALL OF MEXICO. 10 stars for the bed. Seriously. What good sleep I finally got.

The only thing I feel might be lacking in this place for travelers is that its not ON the beach, but that did not bother us in the least, because the best beach on the island is 2 blocks away, and Isla is about walking everywhere and drinking in the sun and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooftop Suite!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple