“Improving...”
Review of Sabor

Sabor
Ranked #79 of 214 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Description: Located at Privilege Aluxes Hotel, offering Breakfast buffet, theme nights buffet style dinner & a la carte lunch. Air Conditioning, Terrace Lounge Area, modern look, no reservation required.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We ate at Sabor because we were staying at Privilege Aluxes on the all-inclusive plan. This was our third stay at PA so therefore our third round of meals at Sabor. This time our adult kids and their spouses came with us. We all agreed that the Saturday night Mexican buffet was our best meal we ate there. There were several tasty Mexican choices (tacos al pastor, chicken mole, chips/guacamole/pico de gallo and a few others I can't remember). Other than that dinner, we only ate breakfast at the buffet since we all preferred lunch at Cafe del Mar and dinner at Cafe del Mar or Satay.

Breakfasts had probably 30% of the choices of any other all-inclusive we've visited. That being said, there was always plenty to eat and no one went hungry. The cook-to-order egg station remains the highlight of breakfast. Other choices included sausage, potatoes, Mexican items, fruit, yogurt, toast, French toast, pastries, cold cereal, cold cuts, juice, coffee, etc. Bacon was never on the buffet but if you want it, ask the chef at the omelet station for a few pieces (he has it for the omelets).

The hot food seemed to be kept at a higher temperature than we experienced when we were there previously, a nice improvement.

Service at breakfast varied from very fast (when Jorge was there - he worked the entire room quickly and efficiently while other waiters stood around) to extremely slow.

One telling comment from our party: our daughter, who has been to at least 10 all-inclusives with her husband, said, "Breakfast is usually my favorite meal at all-inclusives and here it's my least favorite." Despite the improvements we noted, I would have to agree with her.

1  Thank frugaltravelerDenver

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My family was here for dinner on a Thursday night. Not even sure if they have a menu but we were all told to go thru the buffet. Maybe they assumed we were on the All Inclusive package??? We were not staying at that hotel. Anyhow, we went thru the buffet and there were a couple nice items. The shrimp bisque was quite good. Shrimpy but not overwhelming. There was also paella, homemade pasta, fresh salmon cooked to order, fish cooked in parchment, salads, sliced meats, desserts, and many other things I've forgotten. The single best thing was the salmon. I was glad when the cook asked me how well I liked my fish done. Aside from the bisque and the salmon, nothing else was that good. I didn't pay the bill but whatever the cost was, it was not worth it. Everyone at the table felt the same and there were nearly 15 of us. There was also some misunderstanding about our reservation. We had called earlier in the day to make a reservation so they knew a large party was coming. We requested the specific area where we'd like to have our table and were told that it's no problem. When we showed up, they said they don't take reservations at all and demanded to know who we spoke with. Of course, we hadn't asked who we were speaking with but regardless, we didn't appreciate the accusatory tone and being made to feel like it's our fault. The hotel is beautiful but next time I go to Isla, I am doubtful I would eat here again.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I concur with the majority of reviews of the restauant, which is a buffet for dinner service, and is just okay to pretty good depending on what you choose. Firstly the cost is extremely high, about $21 including alcohol, but there are much better places to go in town for 1/4 the cost. I did eat a great if not amazing seafood soup, which was rich and complex, to my surprise. Everything else was somewhat unmemorable to borderline bad, such as canned pineapple chunks, reminiscent of Old Country Buffet in the States. They had a really kind-hearted and thoughtful young Italian chef in training there were walked us through his favorite dishes; we appreciated that. I think the restaurant gives the illusion of fine dining with its tableclothes and high prices and setting within a finer, modern hotel, but I'm not really eager to go back. I eventually ate there a second time with friends who were staying there and I was even less impressed. What stops me from giving this restaurant two stars is that my friends said they had better meals there and they were having such a good time. Mostly, the food feels like a team of people were following a set recipe instead of an individual chef caring for each dish using his personal skills...when you spend enough time on the isla, you realize that comparatively, this place lacks soul. I agree with a different reviewer that it is working towards being good.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We ate at Sabor because we were on the all-inclusive plan at Privilege Aluxes, the hotel affiliated with the restaurant. The choices at the buffet breakfast were very limited - maybe 10 percent of the choices at a typical breakfast buffet at an all-inclusive in Mexico. I speak from experience as we've stayed at 35 AIs in the past 15 years. While the cook-to-order egg station was very good, most of the other offerings were lacking. For example, there was always bacon or sausage, but not both. There were not a lot of fresh fruit or juice choices or Mexican items. There was a decent selection of breads and pastries. The biggest problem with the food was that the dishes that were supposed to be hot were lukewarm at best, room temperature at worst. They hot food stations used overhead heat lamps rather than some system of heating the food from below; this set-up was definitely not effective.

Service at breakfast (all that was required was bringing coffee to the table) was very slow to non-existent even though the restaurant was never close to full. We always had to flag down a waiter and specifically ask for coffee.

Lunch was a la carte; we ate there once. The menu was somewhat limited and portion sizes varied wildly between different main course menu items. However, this was probably our favorite meal at Sabor.

The dinner buffet has a different theme each night and the two nights we ate there were underwhelming. The choices were limited and everything was very greasy. Again, the hot food was not hot. Not very appetizing!

I would definitely not pay to eat here if I were not doing the all-inclusive plan through the hotel.

2  Thank frugaltravelerDenver
PrivilegeIslaMujeres, Quality Control at Sabor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

We thank you for reviewing Sabor restaurant. Your remarks are of great assistance to improve our work.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

While staying at Privilege Aluxes, we ate here every morning for breakfast. The buffet was small, but pretty good with made to order omelets which were very good. I wished they had used under mount heating to keep the other dishes warmer. Service went from unattentive to very good during our stay. They got to know us, and took better care of us each day we were there. Lunch menu was not so great, and it was very slow, so we chose to eat at Cafe Del Mar for lunch every day. We had the buffet one night, and it was good, but again under mount eating would have kept the dishes warmer than the overhead heating did. It was good with the ability to be great with a few changes.